1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pain of Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Onceabum, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Does anyone have an answer for neuropathy pain in the feet, toes and ankle? It's getting difficult to walk, climb stairs etc. Pain pills help some but cause other problems. Thank you. Oh, and shoot while you can.

BB

2. shootman

shootman TS Member

Booger Blue : My wife was diagnosed with neuropathy about two years ago. Our doctor prescribed Neurotin for her and it does help some. Mention it to your doctor. Shootman

3. Herman63

Herman63 Member

BB I agree with shootman Neurotin does help some. I do not have a answer but if you find anything that helps please send it to me as I am having some of the same problems.

Herman63 from ky

4. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I have had it for years. Walking seems to help a bit till you stop and start again. The head nueroligist at Barnes hospital said there isn't much you can do yet, but getting used to the imbalance and keep an eye on your feet. I was "spider-bit" several years ago and didn't know it............merlyn

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The best recourse is to consult a physiatrist or neurologist. Treatment will depend on the root cause of your condition and what works in your individual case. Some drugs used more recently would be Cymbalta or Lyrica. Neurontin was one of the first anti-seizure medications used off label for neuropathic pain. Nortriptyline or another TCA might be used as well. Topicals such as the Lidoderm patch is another option. Capsaicin topicals have been used with mixed results. Some steroids like Dexamethasone or Predinisone might be effective if some cases, if there is nerve impingement as a cause. Steroid injections and/or nerve blocks are sometimes effective. There are spinal cord stimulator implants that can also be an option in some cases. Opiods can also be used and are sometimes quite effective. Unfortunately, they are full of side effects and risks. Fentanyl Patches and Spinal Pumps can meter the medications over time, so a more consistant dose can be administered over time. Most doctors will avoid the opiod options, or use them as a last resort. There are many other treatment options besides what I have listed here, but it would need to be something that your doctor and you would decide upon. There are pain management clinics that specialize in such issues. Your doctor may refer you to one of these. I've personally been through two thirds of what I listed here. Some worked and some did not. Some had some very bad side effects or consequences. I would recommend against NSaids like Voltaren, Aleve, Advil, or even asprin over a long period of time. They can have disastrous effects on your liver and other organs, not to mention gastrointestinal bleeding risks. Any medication that contains Acetaminophen should be used with caution. It can be toxic to your liver and they say 4 grams per day is the maximum. I don't like anything near the 4 gram maximum and stay away from any combination drug that would exceed half that in a normal days use.

Just be aware that some of these options are not cheap and may not be covered by some health plans.

6. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Voltaren Gel during the day will give some relief. I take Zanaflex at night. Sometimes it feels as if someone has taken a sledge hammer to my feet!

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

BigBruno

Check the new warnings on Voltaren gel and be sure to have your doctor test for changes to your liver. All forms of Voltaren/Diclofenac Sodium seem to have new warnings about monitoring for changes in the liver. It's one drug I "had" to discontinue.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

what is the typical dosage for Gabapentin (Neurotin)? Does anyone also have pain in neck and jaw and teeth at times??

9. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I have found that only DiabetiDerm and walking can help with my foot pain. My endocrinologist said the the ligaments and muscles in the feet have to be stretched out during the day.

TNCoach - Type 2 Diabetic

10. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I checked out the side effects (neurotin) on Google and they are many. Not to my liking. I also talked to a shooter I know. He saw a neuroligist, went through some tests, etc and the end was told, not much could be done.

Anyway, thanks for the information guys. Shoot well.

B

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Booger Blue

I was on 1800mg per day of Neurontin. Had little or no effect on the pain and the side effects were not good. There are better options these days. You just need to work with your doctors to find the right one. The answers are not always drugs.

12. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Be careful, first of all. My mother in law had it for years. Tying her shoe lost her balance fell and hit her head. She said she felt fine but laid down to take a nap and never woke up. Doc said she was basically dead when she hit her head, just took an hour. She was a good ole gal and we miss her.

13. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

I had neuropathy really bad just after being diagnosed with Diabetes. A friend recommended something called alpha lipoic acid. I got some at the health food store (it is classified with vitamins), and took 1000 units a day for 4 days at which time the pain, itching,etc was gone completely. Each time it comes back (about every 6 months) I just take more for a couple of weeks and it works. And it is a heck of a lot cheaper than prescriptions.

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Snap, I also tried the Alpha Lipoic Acid.....no real help, but will try it again

15. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I started experiencing the symptoms about a year ago. Since then I have had every blood test imaginable. Have a had a full spine MRI. Been to my GP and a neurologist. I definitely don't have diabetes - nor any other relatable disease they can find.

Result - no identifiable reason for the cause. The neurologist said that 30% of those who suffer from this problem cannot be diagnosed re: a reason. He said that was actually a good thing since it is not likely to progress further ( into a dibilatating stage ).

I haven't figured out what causes the pain/tingling to get better or worse. Seems to come and go. I'm taking the gababentin now on a daily basis at night and then as needed during the day - seems to help and no adverse side effects that I can identify.

I sometimes wonder if I don't have a mild form of shingles - since the sensitivity is not restricted to my feet. No way to test for that apparently and no outward sypmtoms. I had hoped copious amounts of medicinal Crown Royal would help - but sad to say that actually seems to exacerbate the problem until you get past the first three or four drinks !

Good luck to all.

16. straffer

straffer TS Member

Booger Blue Do you have diabtes? Are you a veteran?these symptoms may be service related, if you were in Vietnam. In which case you should see a VFW,or American Legion service officer.It costs you nothing,and you may be eligible for benefits. Neuropthy is a symptom
    of high blood sugar or diabetes

17. straffer

straffer TS Member

Booger Blue Do you have diabtes? Are you a veteran?these symptoms may be service related, if you were in Vietnam. In which case you should see a VFW,or American Legion service officer.It costs you nothing,and you may be eligible for benefits. Neuropthy is a symptom
    of high blood sugar or diabetes

18. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with CMT several years ago and experience the pain associated with neuropathy. My dr. prescribed neurontin and amytripiline. The amytripilyne kind of makes me woozy but it also helps with the nerve pain. My dr said the side effect of drowsiness would go away if I took it all the time, but i only need it from time to time.
    I hate to say it, but you kind of get used to the pain. I wear gloves in the house and to bed and it seems to help the pain in my hands quite a bit.

19. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Same story for 10 years and have been thru most of the drugs mentioned in the previous threads. I am type 2 diabetic and take several oral pills for that. I watch combinations but constantly monitor effect on shooting and co-ordination. Tegretol has been the pain reliever of choice but can turn toxic and blood level tests required during inital use. Drug plan switched me to the generic (carbamazepine) (sp?) and it did not work well. Been on Tegretol several years with most pain tolerable.

Good Luck with what ever helps!

Hogsan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.