1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Original California Pigeon Shooter Has Died

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coldtrail, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

The Original California Flyer Shooter Has Died

Bob Sanchez passed away today at the age of 84. He was one of the original Flyer shooters in California, and as far as I know he had the first ring. I shot my first Flyer with Bob, and I hunted many times with him in Mexico for Quail and Dove. In addition he was considered to be one of the best dog handlers around. You would never know who would show up at Bob's on any given weekend. He had a client list of many celeb's, as well as sports figures. And I can tell you first hand he always got in their pocket. Either by a side bet at the ring, or selling them a high grade gun, or dog. He was great at seperating you from your money, however you always had a good time while he was doing it. Bob however will be best remembered for Flyer shooting, you cannot talk about Flyers without his name being brought up. Wether you liked him or not, you have to take your hat off to him, he was the original.

Jess R Rodriguez

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

If the ATA would hold a flyer event in his honor at the 2009 Grand in Sparta...now that would be cool.

3. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

Bob could spot a "Pigeon" from a mile away, it was extremely difficult to get even with him

4. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

5. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

What a wonderful man. I first met Bob at the flyer ring at Cota Del Casa in SoCal, around 1979 or 80. Bob had a great sense of humor and made everyone feel at home.

I had my first Yellow Lab trained at Prado Recreation by Don Richardson. One day I was at Mike Raahauge's club with my dog. I was talking to Bob about my dog when he asked me to let the dog out and see what he looked like. Just in a flash Bob took command of my dog and he responded to Bob's commands and did things I never even knew he was trained to do. Bob just had a way that all dogs seemed to respect him.

As mentioned Bob was also a great shotgun pointer, excellent with a shotgun.

Bob was liked by everyone, never heard anyone say anything negative about him. Rest in peace Bob, you were one of the best.

Tom Strunk

6. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

7. Handyman

Handyman TS Member

I met Bob years ago. A fine gentleman with uncommon pigeon shooting skills.
    Everything I know about live birds I learned from him. What memories. James Johnstone,Scottsdale Az.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sorry to hear it.

9. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

10. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Tom Strunk, I met Bob back in the late 70's by way of his brother Joe Sanchez. I guided Joe several times goose hunting with my outfitting business well after he retired from pro wrestling. He was another gentleman as likeable as Bobby as he called him--- and soon I was initiated to pigeon shooting out at Coto. Really enjoyed the hand thrown birds. I think all who knew him will miss him. Even though I haven't seen him since I moved to Colorado in 91 I would love to go to one of his shoots again! RIP BOBBY!

11. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

12. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

coldtrail:

This is a picture that I took of Bob about 5-6 years ago at the ring with a couple of his well trained dogs.........I'd say that they were possibly smarter than a few on this site actually. I always enjoyed playing cards with him. :) l.g.

13. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

Dear Little Gambler, if you would please send me this photo to my coldtrail@comcast.net, and any other pictures you may have. I would like to put them in my clubhouse where my rings are.

Regards

Jess R Rodriguez

14. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

coldtrail, check your pm's. l.g.

15. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Bobbby was very fond of his--get this---H & R single shot 12 ga with a vent rib he had added. Anyone who really knew him knows of this gun! Phil in Colorado

16. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Are you kidding me???? Bobby had it around only as a joke-----if you really knew him you would know that. Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.