1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THE ORIGIN OF THE USE OF PULL AS A RELEASE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KeithC, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithC

KeithC TS Member

How did we come to use the word PULL as the calling of the bird. When did it start and how did it start?

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Used to release the target by pulling on a pipe/handle, connected to the hand loaded trap via an underground pipe within a pipe. And the shooters today complain if the batteries are weak in the phono-pulls. You've probably got to be over 65 to remember them. Before electronic releases, they also used to pull cords to release pigeons, from traps, at live bird shoots, that is NOT why the word pull is used.

Ed Yanchok

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

A "puller" in action.

4. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Good story Sonny, but it ain't the way I heard it. Way I heard it was: (this is the skeet explanation.) Before the days of electrically operated traps, there was a young lad in each house. The lad in the high house was named Paul and the lad in the low house was Mark. Since everything evolves, Paul became Pull and Mark just hasn't evolved into anything except maybe "Hah, Ho, Yup or some other word. If it get the job done, it is sufficient. Herb Roach

5. KeithC

KeithC TS Member

Thanks for the explanation and the great picture, I knew I could copunt on this site for a great answer
    Keith Cantillon

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Herb, are you Barry's Dad? ;-)

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

P3AT,

Not to pick nits, but it's 'pull' for high and 'mark' for low...

8. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Good Gawd. Not much going on, huh?

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

In 1976 I visited a club that was using the setup shown in the picture above supplied by V10. The trap house was tiny and using that device was the only way to get the leverage to reset the trap.

Club (at least for trap) doesn't exist any more.

Bruce

10. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Noway guys! It comes from earlier than that when they used real pigeons back in the 1800's. They would pull the string which would release the gate and allow the pigeon to fly out of it's box/cage/whatever.
    That's as I read about it!
    -Trappy

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

found memories of the very early 60's- i cud hardly pull on that long handle or push it forward to set the trap!!!

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I pushed and pulled the pipe for several years. It was tough work for a 10 year old kid but a little easier than working on the farm.

To some extent, your score was dependent on the trap boys. We set the angles and we gave slow, fast or on time pulls. Toward the end of the day I got tired and the pulls got slower.

Pat Ireland

13. DocJim

DocJim Member

Last one of those levers that I saw (and shot over) was at the Ft. Belvoir Rod and Gun Club at Ft. Belvoir, VA back in the early 70s............AJ

14. JTEA

JTEA Member

Started with the birds.

I was looking at the old bird shooting pads yesterday at South End GC in Reading, PA. Established ~1886 and operated continuously since. They are right out in front of the clubhouse, past the trap houses. Many newer shooters don't realize this. Clay birds came later and their photos on the wall show dates.

JT

15. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

pat-- those were the days----now its hard to even find kids to fill the pat trap or even keep score!!!

16. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

WOW!, you're suppose to say PULL to get a correct target ?
    Where did HUUPS, UGGS, YUUPS, YOOOS come from?
    Do you suppose those people never heard of PULL?

17. jlb

jlb Member

Guess what kind of pull system was in use at this club.

[​IMG]

jlb

18. neofight

neofight TS Member

I just donut know, but i do find that very softly uttering 'Pullooooosi' seems to improve my scores.

19. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

FWIW... I'm not quite 65 yet, but I was a trap boy for a short time way back when on mechanical traps. The puller cocked and released the trap. The trap boy set the target and set the angle via a foot pedal arrangement. Grumpy shooters would get hard angles. "Slow pull" was never called more than once, as there was simply too much work involved.

"Pull" was around for decades before Skeet was invented. It started on flyers and glass ball targets.

Ed Y... there were three mechanical traps that I remember.... one was in Liberty Corners, one somewhere in the Warren/Watchung area and one in Flemington. When not pulling, my job was to scrounge once fired Winchester Papers for the old man. The big tip for the day was a powder coated jelly donut. Good times indeed.

20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've shot over a mechanical pull trap a couple of times....patience is a virtue!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.