1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Old Champions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deckart, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deckart

deckart TS Member

Still looking thru old Trap and Skeet digests from the sixties. I notice that the champs for the 50 and 60's used Model 12s and the like. The guns look stock from the pictures. (some had Monte Carlo stocks) Does anyone out there know what, if any, modifications they made to their guns?? I saw no elevated ribs, adjustable stocks, screw-in chokes etc. Thanks. deckart

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The only modification was that they used to bend the barrel so the gun would shoot high. Top shooters are still doing that.

3. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

All the adjustable stuff has come in only the last 30 or so years, thats why they didn't have it.

Larry

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

Ok if they didnt have it avaliable but still shot to be a champion,then why now do we just have to have all the extra after market items placed on a shotgun??

Bill

5. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Nipper- Because we can!

Larry

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

nipper, on a gun such as a Model 12, besides bending the barrel which several did, the stock could be adjusted via using card board shims between it and where it butted into the receiver or it could be sanded on the front end to add cast or raise it a bit. Also it did not take take the precise scoring then that it does today. It takes ever target to stay on top now where one had alittle cushion in days gone by.

7. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Some used Hydro Coil stocks, Simmons ribs, and, I believe, Timney triggers on the M-12. Is that combo any worse or better than the other classic, a fixed choke TM-1. I think not.

Remember that there were more stockmakers and gunsmiths around in those days.

Not well known is that there were some factory "race" guns from Winchester; Model 12's with handpicked parts. The barrels for those threw the best patterns; they were picked when the tooling, i.e., reamer was sharpest (to make final setting on choke), and some put aside for "friends of the company" to shoot. A friend of mine has one of those; he shot it for years, he obtained it through a (then) factory shooter who "pulled strings". He says it patterns well over 80%. Gun has special markings stamped into receiver and barrel.

Now "ain't that as cool as a TM 1 for example?"

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Our equipment has improved (guns, stocks, target colors, voice release, shells, traps) and average scores have gone up. Also both my automobiles and my computers are better than they were in 1960.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.