1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Oath of Office-Marines

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by scott starks, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott starks

scott starks TS Member

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the CONSTITUTION of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely; and without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter; So help me God.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

And I did, Semper Fi

3. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Well, Obama is a "FOREIGN-DOMESTIC"

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Same oath I took in Feb 1959. Still applies for me !!!!

5. scott starks

scott starks TS Member

I don’t think the Liberals understand that the military took an oath to defend the constitution, not the government.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There has always been an argument that the Marine Corps is the oldest service but remember the original Marines were disbanded after the Revolutionary war.

I think there are good arguments on both sides

Here is someone elses discussion

Depends on how you figure it actually; the method was argued widely in the 1950's and it was settled that the date of precedence would be from the date of the first officer commissioned which made the Army older then the Marine Corps. If you are looking at the first active units to be established the Marine Corps is the oldest service; George Washington was commissioned to lead the Continental Army in June 1775 but no units were formed or moved over to the Continental service until January of 1776, until that time the units belonged to the colonies/states they were formed in with pay and equipment being provided by those colonies/states. The Marine Corps had it's first commissioned officer in November 1775 and the first unit was established about two weeks later so was the first formal national unit in existence. So the oldest service is the Army but the oldest military organization is the Marine Corps; everything is further confused because during the period of time the US operated as an independent country under the Articles of Confederation the Continental Army and Navy were both disbanded and returned to state control but the Marine Corps was kept active to guard federal shipyards so the Marine Corps is the oldest continuous military service. The Navy was allowed to be "authorized by the Continental Congress" and celebrates their "birthday" in October but had no officer or unit/ship completed until December 1775; the Marine unit established in November 1775 was to guard the ship under construction. The final decision was to date them from order authorized to form by the Continental Congress (Army, Navy, Marine Corps) but to render the flag honors based on the date of commissioning of the first officer which is why when flags are presented the order is Army, Marine Corp, Navy. So you and your friend or both partially right-the first military officer was Army making it the oldest in one definition and the oldest based on having the first unit is the Marine Corps. This was a very heated military "political" discussion and really came down to which way you wanted it defined; it ended up with the Army winning and the Navy being noted as the second oldest service (there pay off for supporting the Army) based on being authorized by the Continental Congress even though no military officer or unit was sworn in until Dec and the Marine Corps being third but the Marine Corps being second when service flags are shown together based on date first officer commissioned.

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

gene,,,,,,,you may want to do some research and stop listening to hussein......

Just so you know,,,,,,,the Army was 10 June 1775 and the Marines was 10 November 1775,,,,,,to bad you didn't study History instead of law.......

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

The above is incorrect. The real oath for enlisted follows:

"I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Guy Babin

USN, Ret.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Little doggy from Texas-- read more than cliff notes or headlines

The official version is that the Army is older based on George Washington being the first military member of the United States but there were no army units or commissioned officers in the Army until 1776-- I agree and have supported that version but there is another side

The Marine Corps version is that the Marines had an officer and men in November of 1775-- I also agree with that

So it depends how you count-

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. scott starks

scott starks TS Member

http://www.theusmarines.com/the-oath-of-office/

Guy, where did you get your copy of the oath? The copy on the Marines website is different?

11. scott starks

scott starks TS Member

Guy, You are right. I researched further.

§ 502. Enlistment oath: who may administer
    (a) Enlistment Oath.— Each person enlisting in an armed force shall take the following oath:
    "I, XXXXXXXXXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
    (b) Who May Administer.— The oath may be taken before the President, the Vice-President, the Secretary of Defense, any commissioned officer, or any other person designated under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My son swearing into the US Marines November 2012. Guy has it right.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BIrBpOBCZ8Y?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

GN777777 it sure isn't anti military It sure is political. When the administration wanted to know if the military would turn on the US citizen I feel the comment on the oath is appropriate.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It could also be because the Corps is known as the "Presidents Own" and can be sent anywhere he desires without congressional approval.

Could be interesting if he decided to send tham against US citizens and former Marines. Would be a shit kicking contest to be remembered for a long time.

Don

15. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

You guys don't understand! So you swore to support and defend the Constitution. So what? We have it on the best authority, President Obama in his 2nd Innaugural Address, that the Constitution is a "living document". Therefore it doesn't necessarily mean what it says. Rather, it means whatever the President or the Congress or the Supreme Court says it means.

Gentlemen and ladies, prepare for the fight that will define the future of this country and its citizens! It may start in Congress or the courts but, like Lexington and Concord, it may be decided elsewhere and possibly by force of arms.

16. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The fact that the POTUSA even thought it and voiced it, he should be impeached! Because he knows he is on the WRONG side of America!!!

It is the action of a Tyrant in the making!!

17. cubancigar2000

What guy wrote certainly sounds like what it was when I went in but 50+ years have passed too

18. cubancigar2000

I just looked in my paris Island graduating "yearbook" and this is the oath I took in 1962. I am sure they have changed wording several times

I, ____________, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Yup...Guys version is the one I swore on

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

That is why I said what I did. "I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

He can do what he wants with the Corps.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.