1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The new Wisconsin home grounds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Straight99, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straight99

Straight99 Member

The membership doesn't even want to move out of Waukesha so I don't think any other home grounds would work. They were given 900 acers in northern WI. and most of them are fighting that. That kind of insight would take some special people.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well, get the ball rolling on it. It shouldn't be a big deal at all to make it happen. Heck, you got the first part done already.---Matt

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

From what I was told; the WTA will move their shoots out of Waukesha and will be building a new complex in the Wisconsin Rapids area. This will happen in 2012. Just what I heard; not saying it is "written in stone". Ed

4. Don S

Don S Member

Wisconsin Rapids died by a political decision (not by my house). The property in Northern Wisconsin is being actively pursued.

5. esoxhunter

Don: From what I heard; Ray Moser, who is donating 1 million dollars, is not receptive to moving to Northern Wisconsin. (Rhinelander area). He supports either Oshkosh or Wisconsin Rapids. Has something changed? Ed

6. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I spoke with Ray a couple of weeks ago and nothing has change, The are looking closly at a site at Rome which is south of the Rapids.

7. tgs1420

tgs1420 TS Member

Why would any club want to lose there identity to be the "New State Home Grounds"

8. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

FRom what I heard, they are in phase 3 or 4 or zoning at the Rome site. Its been related that even the Governor is behind this. I believe this will be a new shooting facility, and not part of an existing club. 30 traps is what I've heard as the initial layout, with pistol, rifle, archery, sporting clays (there is a rabbit season here LOL), 5 stand.

It will be interesting to see this develop.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Wow! That'd be great. What would happen to Waukesha?

10. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

Not sure about wGC...they will have some income to replace if the state shoot moves...however, they have 8 fields with PAT,s, so they will be able to hold a good trap shoot there. I expect that sportying clays and 5 stand will be set up on the west end where the hand sets are now.

Its been related to me that a number of years ago there were critical relocation decision made that has hamstringed the club, they are locked in an industrial park now. Shooting there is mainly and urban experience.

Its still an nice club, with a solid history...I expect it to remain a viable club with good facilites well into the future.

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Rome is not far from Waukesha???

12. Straight99

Straight99 Member

The WTA has no money to buy Rome. The land in Rome is not free. The 900 acres in Rhinelander is free but the WTA Board of Directors still wants it in Rome even though they have no money. They have some money to by a few traps but if they buy land now there is no money to buy the traps. Land without traps does not work well. Do the math. We will have another Oshkosh. Rhinelander already has all of the permits.

13. Straight99

Straight99 Member

And how about a Profit and Loss Statement from the WTA Board or do they work like the ATA Board. I have not seen one, have you?

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If there is no money why have we been paying state fees all these years?

They had the perfect location and blew it. It has been Keystone Kops ever since.

Making the bulk of the shooters in Wisconsin travel up to the far end of the state is a real cool idea.

Sparta arguments would apply re food, lodging, etc.

HM

15. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Rhinelander holds the Hodag Country Fest the weekend before the Wisconsin State Shoot. 20,000 attend with no problem re food, lodging. Lets look at the big picture 10, 20, 30 years down the road. NRA facts, clubs are closing around the state because of urban sprawl. With 900 plus acres, you have a buffer. We drive 4 hours to Milwaukee-Madison several times a year but you can not do that once. A lot of people come up here for vacation already. Why not make this part of your vacation.

16. esoxhunter

Again, from what I've been told; Mr. Moser doesn't want it in Rhinelander. His first choice was Oshkosh, his second choice was Wisconsin Rapids. It's hard to argue with a man willing to donate a million dollars to the cause.. Ed

17. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Last time I checked Ray was not dead. He told me he would give the money to WTA no mater where it went. And again he is not dead, so how can you plan for his money by 2012. Only count the money in your pocket. I would invite you to come up here and see the club and property, or anyone for that matter but I guess 200 miles is to far.

18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

If memory serves me right, Wisconsin ATA shooters have been paying increased fees each time they shoot a tournament to help pay for the "Home grounds fund". When this fee was first increased we were told it was temporary. Twenty plus years later we still have the increased fee, and no home grounds. I would be the first person to admit that I have no clue on how hard it is to find a home grounds property. I am sure the WTA has people who have worked very hard to get this done, but it has been a very long time since the search first started. My days of shooting ATA tournaments are probably over, but it would be nice to find a home grounds regardless where it is so we can put this issue finally to rest.
    Steve Balistreri

19. esoxhunter

If that is the case I would be happy. I like the Rhinelander area and have shot at the gun club several times. I was told that this money was a "donation" by Mr. Moser; not a part of his will. I apologize if I am wrong. Again, this is just what has been relayed to me and of course might not be entirely factual. Also, I was informed that a substantial number of people have pledged money for the construction of the traps. Rhinelander would be my first choice; however if one looks at location; the Rapids area is centrally located and could possibly attract more shooters. JMHO. Ed

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Steve, that is correct. So why do they not have any money?

As far as location is concerned, the exact geographical center of the state is not optimum for ATA shooting.

The approximate center of the state as far as trap shooting population demographics go might very well be Oshkosh. Look at the county by county ATA shooter population.

It's very nice to want the the home grounds in your particular end of the state, but not very good for the sport.

I would think you would want a location that could host shoots several times a year rather than once, and what kind of turnout will you get in the North Woods?

Residents of Wisconsin went through this crap once before with money collected from motorcyclists (via increased registration fees) for land to be purchased for off roading. They got the money for years, and never produced the cycle parks. They still collect the extra money, and it goes to the thieves who run the state. (General Fund.....everyone's trough)

This is a frustrating situation, and my comments are meant to generate ideas, but in reality my ATA days might very well be over or at least diminished due to economy and personal situation.

I hope this doesn't go the way of MORP.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wisc trapshooting home grounds