1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The New K-80 Came Through

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Huntin'Fool, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

As some of you are aware I recently bought a K-80 Gold Super Scroll Sporting. I use it for trap. I was having some issues getting used to it from my Browning XS. At one point and time I was ready to throw it in the snow and sell it. I swore the gun was shooting left, I took it to Kreighoff in Ottsville, we patterened it and of course it was fine. So knowing that I started to gain confidence in the gun.

Sunday I shot and here in Pa it was cold and windy, I didnt shoot it that well but for the conditions I was happy with a 42. I went out today and the conditions were perfect, it was cold but no wind well I went 49/50 missing bird #6. I only took 50 shells plus the few extras I carry. I usually have 100+ but recently I have told my self keep shooting it has to get better your much better then a low 40's shooter. I wasnt going to waste any more shells. Today I wish I had those extra shells, to see how long I could go without missing.

I just hope to keep this back to normal shooting up now.

2. Scott_C

Scott_C TS Member

Congratz HF, problem is now that you know the gun is shooting ok it's no longer a viable excuse... unless you shoot with people that don't visit TS.

I'm sure my new gun will be 'shooting left' for another 6 months or until I get that first 50, whichever comes first.

SC

3. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Actually, you did fine! got some confidence up and can't wait to shoot again. It is always best to end a training day or practice day in a positive note! Shoot well, shoot often!

4. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Seems like you only went 5 without missing......:) I'm a firm believer in it is all about the confidence. Up till last week I had a hot hand for about three months it was because I felt I couldn't miss anything. I just have to get that mojo back after a poor sunday performance. Wish you would have thrown that K80 in the snow, that would have been great.

5. Huntin'Fool

Yea it would have been great, you would have seen me go from pissed to crying in about 2 seconds.

Keep shooting you will be fine

6. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I know I'll be fine, I'm not worried about that. Sure I want to shoot good but an occasional bad score isn't going to set me back. NTM it isn't a career it is a hobby. I don't have enough time to practice 2-3 times a week so if I shoot a bad score it isn't a big deal. You should go to trapshooting school to become an instructor. You seem to have it all figured out. :) I'm sure my problem is my K80 doesn't have enough scroll on it.

7. Huntin'Fool

If you wanna be a contender this year at the state shoot you better step it up. Figure that thing out and break some clay!

8. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Where was there a Wednesday shoot in the winter? I get cabin fever on Wednesdays. Please advise.

thanks,

js in PA

9. Huntin'Fool

its was Tuesday Bucks Co, Wednesday is Branch Valley

10. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

You figured out your problem, Trapcrazy.
    That's the first thing they teach: Scroll = Mojo.
    HAW-HAW!
    Mike

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

It has been said there is about a 2,000 shot transition period from one gun to the next...more or less depending on how dramatic the change from one gun to the other may be. Give yourself some time and keep working on getting used to the new gun. (Right now I am on about shot #1,825 in my transition.) Best Regards, Ed

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Shoot one gun, put the others away for awhile. Work harder on your 16 yd. game and start backing up. If your thinking state shoot you have to start thinking Handicaps. "D" classers will pull of 98/100 at 16 yrd.

13. Huntin'Fool

Spanky,

I only shoot one gun/setup, TrapCrazy is gun crazy, the gun of the day depends on what side of the bed he wakes up on, thats why his scores suffer like they do, when he was a one gun guy he shot well and until he realizes that he will still shoot well below his ability

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I agree 100%. It's nice to have some decent target guns but, it hard to make the adjustment and re-adjustment from week to week or even one 50 round event to another 50 round event in the same day. Especially if your fairly new or one trying to establish their game. Hey, I'm no Harlen Campbell by a long shot and my opinions don't mean squat. You guys are regulars and shoot week after week. As serious as you seem to be about shooting trap and being young and new you should go to some clinics that Harlen and Kay Ohey put on in the area. I believe you would benefit big time and give you that big kick start if you're gonna get serious. Hunt, are you guys shooting registered targets? This would be another big plus. You have to get your target numbers in and get properly classed. If you don't get your targets in I believe you will have to go into the state shooot as "A" class. I think it's great that you enjoy it and that you're sticking with it.

15. Huntin'Fool

Yea I have started to shoot registered targets

16. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Otter,
    How have my scores suffered? They haven't suffered any more than yours have with your new K80. I have shot the k80 ok at times. When you were breaking 12's with yours waht did I say. Stick with it. You went to krieghoff because you though your barrels were bent, when in actuality your fit was way off. My problem is not that I changed guns, but rather I don't have 4 days a week to go shoot my new one and figure it out. I only get one day a week to go and it is a slow learning curve. I agree when I shoot one regularly I shoot it alot better, My problem is I want to shoot both well and that may be impossible because they are so different. Don't worry about my scores just focus on making the state shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.