1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The new 105cti vs. the 11-87 Premier

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

<H1>Remington 105cti vs. the Remington 11-87</H1>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just got back from Cabela's with the new Remington 105cti. Thought it looked very futuristic and cool, the idea of a bottom eject semi-auto intrigued me. Yes, it comes with a case, and it isn't as cool as it looks...

[​IMG]

Had nothing to do, so we decided to take it through a little test run compared to the Remington 11-87. Our conclusion...11-87 is the winner. Here's what we did:
    We set the thrower up:
    [​IMG]

...and started throwin some clays. The way the action worked, is when you load the first shell, you push it half way into the magazine tube and let go, the spring pushes the shell into the release in the action, then the "fork thingys" lift the shell towards the chamber while bolt pushes it in...it's a wierd set-up compared to a "normal" semi-auto. The only problem with that is, when the shell fires, there has to be enough kick-back to push the bolt back far enough to lock it back. The first shell we shot, was a Federal " ", they are how we found that it takes good pressures to get it to cycle right, it would fire the first shell and kick the hull out, but the bolt wouldn't go back far enough to cycle the second shell, very frustrating as you can imagin. So, we tried some Winchester " " shells, and when you put them in, it would cycle without a problem. The "bolt-release" (if you want to call it that), is a little sliver of metal almost like the bolt-release on the 870's, only smaller, and pointier(sp?).

Next, recoil...
    According to the description of the gun, "The amazing 48% reduction in recoil is accomplished in a four-part dampening process. "...yea...right. This thing seemed to kick just as much as the 11-87 if not more at times with the same ammo. Though the action cycling was not noticed as it is in many autos (11-87).

Chokes...
    The chokes in the 105cti are also not standard Remchokes, but instead, they have been redesigned for a reason we do not know, other than maybe because it is over bored...they look expensive, yet not any nicer than a regular Remchoke like what was used in the 11-87.

Firing...
    After finding that the Winchesters worked well and made the gun cycle right, we decided to give a rapid firing test. The 11-87 performed flawlessly (as always) as did the 105cti, but the cti seemed to have more "muzzle climb" due to it's low weight and noticable recoil.

[​IMG]

Thrower...
    Also while testing, we used one of "Do-all's" Aerial Assault traps (as seen in picture above...$499.99 at your local Cabela's). Very nice trap for the money. It will throw very consistant and fast birds all day long and re-cocks itself relatively quickly. But, after about 10 cases of clays, the foot pedal switch started to fail, with some brief disection and work with emery cloth, the micro switch worked as good as new. Over-all, a very nice set up.

So, there you have it, not a $1300 gun...but that's what they charge. Would not recomend one unless you are large shooter, who shoots heavy loads, and likes cool mechanisms....we like the 11-87...a lot. If you guys have any questions on the 105cti, please feel free to ask.

Also, while up at Cabela's we picked up Remingtons new .17 Fireball...testing that tomorrow hopefully.

-Jollytrapshooter

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Very interesting.<br>
    <br>
    Have you taken the forends off to compare the gas systems?<br>
    <br>
    Also interested in reports on the .17 Fireball, especially compared to the .17 Rem.

3. oz

oz Active Member

for $1300... buy a benelli and leave the problems behind. oz

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Are you saying if you already own an 11-87 and that a great shooter, don't get rid of it, keep your money in the bank because the 105 is just an expensive field gun with a new look and pretty case.

I'm a big fan of the older Remington field guns. I love my 870's, 1100 and 11-87 shotguns. I think they have gone the wrong direction the last few years.

5. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Very interesting. Thank you for your testing.

I will keep my 1100s (pretty much the same thing as an 11-87 about 90%) and pass on the "105CTi"

Here's my perspective on the 105CTi:

$1,300 buys me over 20 splits (5,000rds) of factory STS shells; or about 370 rounds of practice trap (over 9000 practice targets) or - about 10 registered shoots with options played.

When I look at it that way, knowing I already have working 1100s. My desire
    to buy a new toy, like the 105 - fades fast!

6. Coach P

Coach P TS Member

Jollytrapshooter,
    I just bought a 105CTi to shoot skeet and sporting. I shoot a Teknys gold trap for singles and doubles trap. I should also say that I'm a lefty.
    I was disapointed at first with the action of the 105 until I got used to it.I found that it will cycle flawlessly with 1 oz 1180fps loads but that is the lightest load it will. I have shot loads that are 1145 1 oz and some of these will not open the gun.
    I think the recoil issue is because of the weight of this gun (7 lbs). I plan on adding weight to both ends of it to bring it to around 8 lbs.
    I also have a moneymaker 1187 to compare it to. I think 1187's are good guns' but not for a lefty. I think left hand 1187's are out of production so the 105 seemed like an obvious choice for me.
    I cleaned my 105 last week and after completely disassembling and inspecting it I was impressed with the internal (guts) of it. I think it would take years to wear it out.
    I'm interested in hearing from others who own 105's
    Coach P

7. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

As a co-writer of this post with jolly I did most all of the assebly and mechanical work with the 105 though I havent yet take it completly apart i did notice the improved gas system. There is no more rubber O ring to wear out or get torn it has been replaced with a double metal seal that compresses slightly when the fore end cap is tightened it also has an extra band on the barrel lug/gas port yet another improvement in the seal. The main spring has been moved from the stock (like on the 11-87) to the forend cylinder. The stock now is home to the oil rate controler that supposidly makes it cycle at the same speed with heavy and light loads. This system needs a little improvement to work with the lighter trap loads. Also the bolt has gone from the 870 style lock up to a rotating head type. this gun is a good start but needs some refinements to make it better, it has potential but is still buggy.

I just sighted in the 17 fireball this morning i am pleased with its accuracy and does seem to give the original 17 rem a run for its money. the barrel stayed very clean (as fouling was an issue with the 17rem) and shot 100yd groups that came darn close to touching not bad fr a .17 cal. there was a slight cros wind and I would like to test in still air but the li bullet seemed un affected even out to 200+ where it consistantly was breaking clay pigeons which were reminents of past trapshooting. I was pleased overall with the quality of the ammo and i hope remington releses it to other companies to bring cost down. The gun model i got the firball in was the 7oo cdl ld sf..a bit fancy for brush hunting but perfect for prarie doggin this summer. No animal testing yet...just a un fortunate starling. If you have any questions on this gun or new round just ask and id be happy to answer.

Rifle Guy

8. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

i cleaned the action tube thuroughly and the only time it failed to feed was with the federal loads pictured the winchesters worked flawlessly.Im not sure about the stock intercahgability. The rear of the reciever is very similar the only issue would be the fit of the rate controler.

Rifle guy

9. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

yea it is definatly a feild gun that with a little refinement could become something better. Some of the simple functions that you take for granted on a shotgun like the bolt relese and feeding shells into the magazine seemed to be overlooked in the development of this gun. the bolt relese button is small and pointy, the first shell that you stick in the magazine shoots back into the action then is slid into the chamber (cool part) but then when the action is closed and you load more into the tube the shells dont get alighned and you have to manuver them awkwardly in not a very smooth operation. With the right loads loded one at a time this can be a very cool gun..just the little things.

Rifle guy

10. Chris_H

Chris_H Member

I shot the CTI demo gun at the grand and for 25 pair of doubles (shooting reloads) I didn't have a single jam or trouble with the gun. I know it was a demo and they made sure it worked properly but still it seemed like a very nice hunting gun especially for someone left-handed like myself. Also many rounds had to have been shot out of the gun I would think being a demo.

11. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Well then that would be your answer, as a demo gun, it'd probably been shot quite a bit, plus been thoroughly cleaned before anyone shot it. I'd imagin if the 105CTi had a couple thousand rounds through it, it'd probably function flawlessly with any load. But, I wouldn't want to shoot the first 1000 rounds through it as it would get VERY frustrating. I just don't know how Remington gets off with saying it reduces recoil by 48%...I noticed absolutely NO difference between it and the 11-87. I will say that the way it loads the first shell is pretty cool...but that's about it. Even as a lefty, I think I'd still take a righty 11-87 over a new 105CTi anyday.

-Jollytrapshooter

12. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

I have now fully disassebled the 105cti.I was suprised at the ease of disassebly and assebly. Almost easier than an 870. All you have to do is remove the trigger and twist the bolt lever remove it and then the bolt and gas piston slide right off. The action was spotless there was no unburned powder any where to be seen. The mechinism is simple and rugged not as many moving parts as expected and all parts were solid and smooth. Im am very impressed with the action but still slightly disapointed in the user friendlyness of loading multiple shells and the bolt relese.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
11-87 premier trap
does the remington sporting 105 cti ii shotgun have issues if only cycling one round
new 1187 premier trap
remington 11 87 premier rersus trap
remington auto trap guns

remington trap guns