1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

the nerve of some people

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by k810329, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k810329

k810329 Member

my middle sons been shooting trap for almost a year now.hes been using a borrowed beretta a friend of mine bought at walmart but never liked.ive been out of work since june with some medical issues but hope to go back to work in march of next year so this really helped me financially.this friend of mine decided if i could do some electrical work for him as i felt like it we would trade out the labor for the price of the gun roughly $500.00.now ive got close to $2000 worth of labor into this deal and he's wanting me to do more work so i put my foot down and said no.that made him mad and he called the deal off and said i wasent getting a thing.i feel like i was taken advantage of and that my son was the one made to suffer.luckily i have an old mossberg 500 here that he can use at least till i can come up with something else.now im wondering if i was wrong for refusing to do anymore?guess i just needed to vent.

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Not much of a friend, sounds like to me. Sorry you were taken advantage of.

You did the right thing.

I'll bet we can come up with a 870 or 1100 for just a few hundred bucks on the easy payment plan.

Guy Babin

3. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

No offense, but this only one side of the story. It certainly sounds like you and your "ex"-friend had different expectations that could have been remedied by some better communication up front. Its hell to think you need a contract over something like this, unfortunately, you probably do.

John E.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

$2,000 worth of labor according to the (Union) book would be install a light switch and maybe a fixture, that includes overtime ... Not sure how much work you have done but its obvious there was not a meeting of the minds on this one ... If you can have your (Ex) friend explain his side of the story we can make a good, fair, and logical judgement but keep in mind it might not be in your favor once all the facts are presented ... I had a Buddy who was going to paint my house for twice what a Licensed and insured contractor was going to charge me, then got pissed when I had the contractor do the job ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I had a friend that needed some money to keep from getting his house forclosed, he was kind of a jack of all traded, master of none...he was going to trade some wiring of lights in my shop, after he started the dude tried to work his time off @ $65.00 per hour....learned my lesson.

tony

6. k810329

k810329 Member

just for the record heres a rundown of the work i did:
    set a panel in the barn and wired it up
    wired and hung 8 lights and 2 switches in the barn
    wired 4 recepticles in the barn

wired a 220v welding recepticle in the garage
    installed 4 new lights in the garage

hard piped his basement for 4 lights,1 switch and 2 recepticles

installed 2 ceiling fans and a porch light at the house

what started the problem was his new back porch addition.he expected me to wire that as part of the deal and that was never discussed.in addition to all the work i supplied the recepticles and switches that i had at the house and some of the copper wire.he was one of those people who likes something for nothing and i just found out he's accussed of stealing money from a local little league football team he helped run.i did more than originally discussed because he was doing me a favor so i tried to help him out.used to be a man's handshake was his word.never again

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If thats the case I would take him to court and get what I have coming ... I'm not sure how many hours you took to do the work you did but $2,000 sounds like a lot of money for what you described ... Try to reason with the guy and come to an agreement or file a lawsuit against him in small claims court but have your documentation in order ... Good Luck ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. k810329

k810329 Member

the barn and the basement was all hard piped with 1/2" conduit.almost 300' of pipe in the barn alone.the estimate he got just on the barn from a local contractor was almost $1800 so he was getting off lucky with just a $500 shotgun IMO

9. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Wow, I wish you had wired my shop. That was a lot of work for $2,000.

He's no friend. Take him to small claims court. You will get more than you have now.

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Well, if we wants to "undo" the deal, go over and "undo" the work. I'll bet he's more than happy to give you the gun when wire and conduit are about to start coming out !!

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

two choices - 1.Small claims court 2. Go and remove what you did.

You might give the idiot one more chance to hand over your fee (the gun). You have been had. You might say what state you live in and might be surprised what could happen for your son.

Don

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There are a number of things that could have happened here. One he was taking advantage of your friendship. That has happened more then once with friends. I have seen people be great friends till money came up. One or both were greedy as hell. Second he could have told someone about the deal and he said that the gun was worth more then the set price. I have heard from contractors that did some work in homes and when the work was done look at it and call it poor craftmanship and wouldn't pay. It could be the best work they have ever had done but just didn't want to pay them. They go to court and the judge would have the people pay only 1/2 the agreed price. To me thats BS But its done. I would take him to small claims court. Win or lose you kicked him in the butt to let him know he can't get away with it. Also let everyone know what happened. I keep my word and I expect everyone else to do the same.

14. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Did you / he pull permits? You know where I'm going with this!

15. k810329

k810329 Member

he pulled the permits.here in tennessee the home owner can do that.he needed everything nice and legal because he has high dollar horses that are heavily insured.we keep a lawyer on retainer at work and im going to get with him later and see what my options are under tennessee law and see if he can help me a little.my stand is yes,the work i did was in excess of the cost of the gun but i agreed to do it for that and thats all i want.im not a greedy man or hard to get along with but i am a man of my word and expect the same consideration in all my dealings.if all else fails im hoping to be back to work in march and will get my son a new gun then.

16. k810329

k810329 Member

ive known for 2 years i needed the joint replacements so i put it off till i could save the money to take 9 months off work to have it done.not drawing any money at all.thats why im so upset about this deal is that i have no extra money and he left me and more so my son in a bad way not to mention going against docs orders to do this and all the added pain and aggrevation.funny thing is his wife called to apologize to me but she says theres nothing she can do about it.i think alot of this has to do with the fact that it just came out that he's under investigation for taking in excess of $25,000 from a local kids football league over the course of a couple of years and it looks like he's in a lot of trouble.you live and learn.

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter, a deals a deal. As for going in and taking your work out you may not be able to because of the fact you might be arrested for going on and in the place. Be careful so you don't go to jail.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm with Blizzard on this one.

If he does not want to pay for the work and material, go take back your material.

It will be more work for you but he will get a lesson. After all, till he ays for it it's your stuff.

But a mechanic's lien is better, you can own a barn. Might make a nice reloading shop.

HM

19. bocephus

bocephus Member

If it is attached it belongs to the homeowner, but labor is recoverable. If you claim to supply material better have your contractors license up to date

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'm lost here. What's the real issue?

Getting your son a decent trap gun, or getting money from a leech?

Forget it, count it as a lesson learned and take care of your boy. You can also use it as a learning opportunity for your son instead of highlighting how you got screwed and badmouthing the former friend.

Unfortunately friends and family are sometimes risky business partners.

You and your kid can find a way to raise 4-500 bucks together. It'd be a great memory for the both of you and he will appreciate it more.

I'm sorry it happened but cut bait and forget it.

All the best,

Guy B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.