1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

The Nearly-Perfect Rifle Battery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skydiver41, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skydiver41

skydiver41 TS Member

Greetings all. I have a great problem to deal with...I just won the raffle at our local trap club which benefits the local youth shooters group. See link...

http://bid.wildsheepfoundation.org/The-Rifle-Battery_i11637525

The Nearly-Perfect Rifle Battery is a collection of 4 numbers matching Winchester Model 70 R Super Grade rifles in 22-250, 270 Win, 300 Win Mag and 375 H7H Mag. Winchester made 100 of the 4 rifle sets.

These rifles are way too nice for me to hunt with as I can be pretty rough on equipment. What would you guys do with this set if you won it? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks.

Mike
  2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Shoot'em all! shooting them is way more fun than letting them collect dust
  3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Sell them and buy rifles I really want.
  4. j2jake

j2jake Active Member

I'm with Brian on this one, Jake
  5. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I also agree with Brian. If the rifles are "too pretty" for you too use and you are not a collector who just likes to admire his guns, then sell them and get some guns you will use and enjoy. Some collector will be very happy to have them in "unfired" condition.

....Paul
  6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

If they were Pre-64 I want them but they are newer guns and I don't think much of them for that fact.
  7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

Fact is, for collectors, the pre-64 may be worth more, but for folks who really know the Winchester, the newest ones are the best of all to shoot.

I might be interested in the 375 at a realistic price if you break up the set.
  8. carpk

carpk TS Member

The Nearly-Perfect Rifle Battery actions are pre 1964

Ken
  9. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Put a price on them they will sell.
  10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would sell. I would make sure to get a good group of potential buyers somehow, Including Scheels, Cabela's, Jaqua, etc.

Some Winchester afficionado out there wants this really bad, it would be a shame to let it be lowballed away.

HM
  11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

The Nearly Perfect Bolt Action is an Eighteen-Ninety Eight Mauser, or a VERY close model.

Ruger 77 MK II, Pre-64 type Model 70 and such.

My 1948 Husqvarna Sporter IS a '98 Mauser, with FN action.
  12. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

This set is 1 of 100. They have successive serial numbers. Breaking up the set would be foolish. I believe Winchester never made a Model 70 in 22-250.

I would try to find a buyer to take them as a set.
  13. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

How about a picture of the 22-250. That should settle whether or not Winchester made a pre 64 22-250, or for that matter if the whole group is pre 64 or not.

I have never seen one in that caliber, but gun companies did some unusual things when it came to custom stuff.
  14. dezcon

dezcon TS Member

I am interested in the 22-250 also and the 270. Please email me pictures and prices. Thank you. David Zofko 330-240-2700
  15. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I saw it online so it must be true:

this matching set of four unique, limited-production Winchester Model 70 Super Grade rifles, each of which is chambered in a cartridge ideal for the game animals they commemorate, and is so embellished on the magazine floorplate. The Varmint rifle is chambered in the blistering .22-.250 Remington, the Deer/Antelope in the flat shooting .270 Winchester, the Elk/Moose in the potent .300 Winchester Magnum and the Dangerous Game rifle in the bone crushing 375 H&H Magnum. The fancy grade checkered walnut stock with shadow-line cheek piece and ebony fore-end tip, the engraved cross-bolt head, and the traditional Super Grade pistol grip cap make this a truly remarkable set. Each rifle is built with the Pre-’64 style action that offers a forged steel receiver, external claw extractor, controlled round feeding and reliable blade ejection.
  16. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Member

UPS ALL OF THEM TO ME.Do this ASAP before you think about it...
  17. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Member

You could offer them to the same or another group to raffle off again; get a nice tax deduction for the donation, and a warm fuzzy!
  18. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

'These rifles are way too nice for me to hunt with as I can be pretty rough on equipment. What would you guys do with this set if you won it? I am open to all suggestions.'

Sounds like you won a very nice prize that you should have no trouble converting into cash or a very good trade package. The value will be maximized by keeping the set intact. Never mind that these aren't pre 64 actions - they are very good quality and will be of interest. If you are in a rush to get rid of them take the set to a Cabela's gun room and see what they will do. I would think you will get a fair offer with no hassles.

Now as to what would I do - I would use the crap out of them if I were right handed (which I'm not). But there is no reason a pretty rifle has to be a safe queen, they are made to be enjoyed and appreciated - best way to do that is to take them out on a hunt. I doubt Jack O'Connor babied his beloved M70.
  19. claybrdr

claybrdr Active Member

I have a FN .308 Patrol Rifle with the Pre-64 Winchester style action assembled at the Winchester factory. I would guess it is the same action as the 4-gun set employs.
  20. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Larry Potterfield's Midway Foundation commissioned these guns to be made. As stated above,"THERE WERE ONLY 100 OF THESE 4-GUN SETS MADE. THEY HAVE SUCCESSIVE SERIAL NUMBERS"

The guns need to stay together.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.