1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Miss-Me Bead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hmb, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think you better have a shotgun that hits where you are looking. HMB

2. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I've been shooting a green fluorescent bead for quite awhile and doing ok, but because of the the discussions here about them causing the eye to "bead check" I took it off and went back to the white one. I shot the next weekend, and I was 50 targets into the event before I remembered I changed it. I don't think it matters a great deal what color it is, or if it's even there. If you are a good shooter you will hit most of them regardless, a fair shooter will hit a fair amount, and a struggling shooter will change the color of the bead, adjust the comb, change the LOP, even change guns to try and get better.GaryL.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

That's why all my beads are black.

MK

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"To hit with a shotgun, you must keep your eye on the target while the barrel of the gun registers as a blurred smudge in your peripheral vision."

Some VERY accomplished shooters use this method of breaking targets without being totally aware of what's taking place within their method.

I posted a long while back here on TS about shooters using their peripheral vision and not being aware of doing so. Some say they never see the barrel/beads or anything except the targets while shooting and that's true in a sense. Regardless of how the process is seen by any individual, a visual reference between the targets and barrel/beads must be there for consistency with a shotgun! Standing in total darkness with no light whatsoever on the gun, light up the targets from the front of the traphouse only and see how many targets one can break? Your average will suffer dramatically!! People that have LEARNED how to shoot from the hip will score as well or better than those trying to use their familiar vision skills!

Good article, I'm surprised we haven't seen it in our shooting magazines more! That instead of, "lead just happens in our sub-conscience?" Ridiculous is my opinion on that!

Hap

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I know where my bead is in relationship with target every shot when things are working correctly. Bill

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I put that bead on ever duck, goose, pheasant, quail,grouse, and starling I have ever killed. I have not shot many 100 straights but all the ones I have shot had a bead involved in the process.

If for no other reason we need beads to assure we are lined up properly when we first mount our gun.

Do you stare at a bead the way you put a rifle scope cross-hair on a target or an animal? NO!! That is not needed. I have head it described as a blur, as well as not is " sharp focus". be that as it may unless you have a rock solid aiming point that never changes and you wear the same clothes and you never lose any weight or gain any weight you will need beads at least once in a while.

I am just as sure that I use and see my beads as others are sure that they do not.

How can both sides ( arguments) be correct when both sides are hitting the targets and the games with regularity?

I believe it is because the truth is somewhere in the middle.

What happens to your gun fit when you wear heavy coats? If you have no bead and all you need to do is mount your gun and point and shoot will your point of aim be the same?

I use beads and they show me instantly that my gun fit is no longer correct and that the gun couldn't possibly hit in the same point as I am looking as I am no longer lined up with the barrel as I normally am. Now I could achieve the same thing by setting the trap machine on straight away and move my comb until the birds are centered again.

That takes a long time and it's a pain in the ass. By using the beads I just make the needed adjustments with my head, modify what I am wearing. replace a recoil pad with a shorter one and so on and so forth. Wat is that "I don't need a bead shooter going to do?" Miss game and targets until they figure out what the problem is. If you can explain it to me how it can be other then that , I would like to understand it.

My impacts are built into my ribs so I know that as long as the beads are stacked I get the impact I want. This is in effect " Zero" I just don't know how you can achieve zero under all circumstances quickly without beads.

That is weather you use them on a target or not!

The man who taught me to shoot trap holds the long run from the 27 yard line with over 500 straight. He teaches you to use the bead. Why would he do that? Jeff

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Several years ago someone at one of the shoots he and I attended asked me if I was ever going to get the bead on my shotgun repaired. I took a look an indeed it was missing. It must have fallen or broken off. He told me that he had noticed it was gone for the last couple of months. I had never noticed it. I had it repaired when I went to the Remington shop at the Grand that year.

To tell you the truth, I never noticed it was gone and once the ivory bead was replaced, I didn't shoot any better or any worse than when it was missing.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

OK. don't focus on the front bead. But use it.

Is that about it?

Neil

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Some more info from last month.

Wayne

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

gun fit, gun fit, gun fit......once that is established...the beads become a non issue...

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I think the Simmons Glo-worm was first followed by the Ithaca Raybar. I remember seeing it touted on the back page of Field and Stream in the 60's/

My favorite bead was a Poly-Choke Sunspot. I had a few and they went away with the guns they were on, mostly BT-99's. It was half the size of a normal bead, blaze orange, and had clear plexi around it in a regular Bradley mounting.

I have the Tiny green 4.95 Tru-Glo from Wally World on now, and it's ok.

But I would like a source for that Poly Choke bead.

HM

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

pyrdek, the answer is simple, you use the barrel/rib for a reference instead of the bead that fell off? Read the darkness challenge in my earlier post up above? Without light on your gun, your averages will suffer, even with a bead!

We can see the bead without looking directly at it, we can also see the rib and barrel in the same fashion!

Hap

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

BLACK SHARPIE.....nuff said, rubs off too if you must....

14. JN618

JN618 TS Member

I look at it this way: A good driver keeps his hands on the wheel, looks as far ahead as he can, and lets his hands react. But, if an animal jumped out in front of him he would see it. I'm just saying that the human eyeball is a pretty capable organ.

John

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I saw the page, and choice of bead. I will have to see if they will sell me one, and what threads they come in. Probaqbly just the size they use for their ribs. That's ok, I have taps.

HM

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I use a Uni-Dot to keep from crossfiring. So no bead or a black bead or a white bead, et al, are going to work for me.

I do agree with using peripheral vision to bring the muzzle to the target, using the bead as reference. If you look directly at the bead, you will miss.

17. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

So how would a good shooter, with a good fitting gun, shoot if we were to, say, wrap a rag around the barrel (safely back from the muzzle but blocking out the rib and bead completely)? I always mean to try that but seem to get absorbed in other stuff when on the line...It would make for a good demonstration for young/new shooters.
    dju

18. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I just love these "See the Bead--Don't see the Bead" discussions. I think it proves that a lot of Trap shooters know a lot of stuff that isn't so. I include myself in that group..SMOKIT

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I am still waiting for an explanation of how all the guys with perfect fitting guns know what to do when they are wearing extra layers of clothes or lose weight or gain weight?

Along with that magic gun fit that is so all important does it come with a magic incantation that fixes the gun fit when your measurements change?

do you spin around in a circle 3 times and whisper " OH magic gun fitting god, fix my gun fit so I am not at odds!" and then BOOM!!!! a flash of light and the gun fits again and all you have to do is look at the target and the gun is shooting where you look?

I really want one of the learned voices of reason to explain this to me. I have made this extra facetious in order for people to try and understand my question.

I would really like an answer that I makes sense as so far my incantation seems to be about as accurate as anything posted.

How do you know when something changes in your gun fit when you do not use the beads? This question is really for the die hard I do not use my beads at all guys.

Guys, This really is respectfully submitted. I would like to understand it. Jeff

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Some of us should try the "mini-beads" by Chris Vendel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.