1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Mind Gym

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Bruce Maxwell forwarded a suggested reading list. I read one of the books this weekend, Mind Gym: An Athlete's Guide to Inner Excellence, by Gary Mack and Alex Rodriguez. It is loaded with quality information, anecdotes, and tips. Toward the end of the book they relate the FIVE Ls (devised by some professors). Those 5 simple points have massive value - at least to me.

Love - what you're doing.

Labor - work at it.

Learn - learn as much as you can, never stop studying

Laugh - don't take any of it too seriously.

Leave - get the heck out when you can no longer live up to the first 4 Ls.

Bruce also offered a nifty mantra that I am incorporating into my shooting - soft focus on the area where the target should appear; see the target clearly; continue the shot after pulling the trigger. If I do just those three things I won't have time to shift my focus or my thoughts. I noticed a difference Sunday. I hope it continues Wednesday night. Thanks again, Bruce.

Larry Frieders

2. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

This is good stuff, Larry. Good advise for many individual sports. Thanks, Jack

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

And don't forget the 6 Ps, proper planning prevents piss poor performance. HMB

4. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

You will find that Bruce Maxwell is one of the great ambassadors of our sport. I have known him for about 5 years now. He got me off the 20 yard line when Kiner, Leo, Nora, and Marshall couldn't. Birdtracker

5. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Mind Gym is an excellent book. I have read quite a number of sports psychology books, and among those topping the list is Alan S. Goldberg's Sports Slump Busting. It goes into great detail on self-talk, imagery and dealing with setbacks in a positive manner. HIGHLY recommended.

6. kbud

kbud Member

Grandpa, why don't you post that list?

7. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Another great book is The Way of the Champion by Jerry Lynch and Chungliang Al Huang. Anything by those two is great reading.

8. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Good story in today's NYT, see link above. An excerpt.

"Some players in the Open draw have faster serves than others or more penetrating ground strokes or better touch at the net. But at the elite level, those differences are negligible. Those who succeed are the ones who are really, really strong in the head."

Dave Eberhart

9. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I'm fairly certain Bruce Maxwell wouldn't mind that I share this list. I have finished one and intend to read others. This will be part of L number 3 - LEARN.

- PSYCHED TO WIN by Robert M. Nideffer

- MIND GYM by Tom Maack

- GOLF IS A GAME OF CONFIDENCE by Rotella

- IN PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE by Terry Orlick

- THE INNER GAME OF TENNIS by W. Timothy Gallwey

- CATCH THEM BEING GOOD by Tony Dicicco and Colleen Hacker

- MENTAL MANAGEMENT FOR GREAT GOLF by Dr. Bee Epstein-Shepherd

There are several other books to read on the subject, but here are several others you might find interesting:

- The World is Flat by Thomas Freedman (the world's access to information through the internet revolution)

- Are You Really Listening by Paul Donoghue and Mary Siegel (communication between people - terrific book)

- The Genius in All of US by David Shenk (this is the book I showed you today - about the relationship between Genetics, Talent, and IQ).

10. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Next to the Bible, "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. It's good mind training!!!

Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.