1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Milwaukee gun club!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My wife and I took a nice slow Sunday ride along Milwaukee's lakefront today. I can count on one hand how many beautiful days we have had the last couple months, but today is certainly one of them.

The lake front was packed with beach goers, people roller skating, and joggers. As I came to where the old Milwaukee gun club once was located, not one person was using the site for any recreational purposes. I got out of my car and walked along trying to remember where we once shot.

For the people who never saw or shot at the Milwaukee gun club, it was a real nice place to shoot, especially on a warm calm day. The background was none other than beautiful Lake Michigan. Today, numerous sail boats were out, and it made me realize how much I actually enjoyed shooting their years ago, as well as how much I miss it today.

As I was walking around, I met a guy who said he shot at the club with his father when he was a kid, and he told me that the original basement is still there, buried under tons of dirt. The grass is now weed infested, and I would guess that it virtually goes unused most of the time.

It is a shame that this club met it's demise because of a couple politicians did not like the idea that a small percentage of people were having fun down at the lake front with shotguns. The Milwaukee police department also use this club to train at one time.

The club members put up a valiant fight to keep the club, but in the end, the politicians won the battle. Soon after, one of them moved back to Chicago where he belonged, and the other was eventually voted out of office.

To my knowledge, the Milwaukee gun club never created any problems for anyone. It is sad when a small group of politicians can get rid of a club that so many of us enjoyed. Numerous people would stop and watch us shoot, while either walking or riding their bikes when they went past the club.

I hope something like this never happens again to a gun club, no matter where it is located, as what happened here in Milwaukee was just plain wrong. As I was leaving, I turned around and for a split second I could envision seeing some of the best shooters the Milwaukee area had shooting as I once remembered it.

Steve Balistreri

2. creek

creek Member

Steve, I too remember the Milwaukee Gun Club.
    I was born and raised in Milwaukee and moved away in 1988. I don't miss the liberal government, that is still there today, but I sure do miss the lake front.

It's a real shame what happened to the club, and much of it's surroundings. I believe now the closest gun club for trap is Waukesha Gun Club. I shot there last month, when I was back visiting. Nice folks and outstanding club.

John Radtke

3. senior smoke

Hi John:
    I do most of my shooting at Loreen Klauser's Lakeview gun club, and or Boxhorn's gun club, as they are closer to me. The Waukesha gun club is also a nice club with a wonderful history.
    Steve

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Steve: I shot at the Milwaukee Gun Club numerous times. It was a beautiful old club and as you say was a victim of politics. I had the opportunity to shoot there with a lot of very good shooters to include the great Vic Reinders. It was truly a unique place. Ed

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Does Cuduhy GC still shoot over the lake, or has it finally washed away? I still have the 3 buckles I won there in the late 80's at their buckle shoot.

6. senior smoke

Ed:
    A friend of mine told me that a lot of shooters did not like when they saw Vic pulling up to shoot at a tournament years ago, because they also knew he had a good chance of winning. One day at the Milwaukee gun club, Vic pulled up in his green Rambler a few minutes before the 16 yard entry was to close.

My friend said to Vic no use of shooting as there is already a 100 straight on the board and the wind has really picked up off the lake. Vic told him so what?
    Vic proceeded to break 100 straight in a terrible wind and beat the guy with the other 100 straight in the shoot off too.
    Steve

7. senior smoke

Gun DR:
    Funny you mention Cudahy gun club. Yes, it is still there, but every year it seems the ground in front of some of the traps gets less and less. Interesting note about the Cudahy gun club, as I was one day reading a trap and field magazine from the 1960's, I read an article even back then that some citizens and politicians wanted Cudahy closed down. It is still there, and hopefully it will always be.

On a personal note, a few years back, I attended an ATA tournament there and decided to walk up to the golf club house and use their indoor facilities and three older women in golf attire saw me with my shooting vest walking past them.

One said to me, that they did not want trapshooters using their facilities. I told them I was a Milwaukee county resident and I would use them anyway. Walking back down to the gun club, I stopped and invited all of them for lunch inside the gun clubhouse, and they refused, as they said they would never be caught dead in a gun club.
    Steve

8. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Steve, I remember making the rounds on a sunday going to Boxhorn, Winchester, and Milwaukee gun clubs when I first started in the early seventies. Milwaukee was an outstanding place to shoot. Great people; great times.

See you soon, Rick

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Same thing that happened to the Lincoln Park Traps on the Chicago lakefront.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sometimes these clubs go down because of internal problems.

Phoenix Trap & Skeet comes to mind. 48 fields lost there.

HM

11. lctrapshooter

lctrapshooter Active Member

Guys & Gals

The Environmental Protection Agency is putting the kabosch on shooting lead shot shells around lakes, rivers, streams, ponds and waterways.

More BIG government: To protect us from ourselves!

What a crock.

Vaporize Em,

Frank Fortyone

12. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I recall shooting ATA events at the Milwaukee Gun Club in the late 70's. I was in my 20's, and I could feel the tradition. It was like you stepped back in time.

It was on a spectacular piece of lakeshore. And besides Roco, and the usual bunch of guy's playing cards behind the counter, the thing I remember most is that when shooting handicap I could hear joggers, bikers, dog walkers, and anyone else just walking by comment on how cool it was to "watch the shooters". It was a very positive feeling.

Thanks Steve, Randy

13. senior smoke

Randy:
    I also remember hearing those same sounds while shooting. Boy, do I miss that club. Here is a short story about an ATA event that I shot there years ago. On the 16 yard squad was myself, Luther and Gary ward, Hugh Leroy Brown, and Dick Guenthe.

We waited until 11am to shoot as we did not want the sun directly in our eyes. We start shooting and suddenly some goof starts flying a kite to the left of our trap. As we are shooting his kite is now over our trap house. We stop shooting, and Hugh Brown talks to the guy and ask him to please refrain from flying his kite while we are shooting.

The guy has an attitude, and says he has every right to fly his kite as we do being there. We resume shooting, and Hugh shoots this guys kite down. The guy is so angry, he starts crying. He calls the police, and the cop that came, we all knew, as he was also a trapshooter.

Make a long story short, no one got in trouble, but the cop told the guy that what he did was very dangerous. He threatened to go to the newspaper. We never heard anything more of it.

Later that morning, while on the third trap, we stopped shooting again as some guy in a black rubber suit was SAILING ON A BOARD WITH AN ATTACHED SAIL AND HE ALMOST DROWNED AS HE WASHED UP IN FRONT OF TRAP#3. We called the paramedics and they took him to the hospital. I asked Hugh what should we do with the guys board and sail? Hugh answered, F--- the sob and his board, let's go back to shoot. It was one heck of a day to say the least.
    Steve

14. Donm

Donm Active Member

And yet no one can come up with any idea why the governing bodies wanted Milw out of there. It was due to things like Hugh did on that day. There is alot more to it that what has been said here. Like everyone else I don't want to loose any gun clubs but that one was in a area that was to congested. Any one could see the writing on the wall.

15. senior smoke

Donm:
    Are you a trapshooter?
    Steve

16. Donm

Donm Active Member

I've been on the Wi. Mens all state team atleast 7 times broke atleast 5, 100 straight's at Milw. Was Pres of Cudahy when I negotiated the lease for them with the County. Milwaukee could have had one too. All they had to do was sign it and it would have cost them 10% of the their annual dues which would have been just over $100 a year. Was Pres and on the board of Cudahy for over 11 years. My wife and I leasted and ran Lakeview in the early 80's and developed the most highly attended reg. shoot program lakeview ever had. I have shot at atleast 150,000 reg. targets. So to answer you question yes I am a trap shooter. And who are you exactly.

17. racer

racer TS Member

Smoke- Donm would be the guy that bought a new house in the sub division by the airport and is complaining about the noise.......Dan

18. Donm

Donm Active Member

Dan maybe you ought to reread my post. I was the one that was fighting to keep both Cudahy and Milw. alive. I spent over a hundred hours in meetings with the City of Milw. Milwaukee county and the park commission. When I say I that means I was there alone. No one from Milw gun club ever attended a single meeting. Cudahay's BOD gave me the go ahead to make the best deal I could. I got them a 15 year lease. Now what make you think that you know so much. How much did you or Steve do back then to help keep the club there? You most likely never shot there or even know where Milw is much less where the club used to be.. Do you even know where Wisconsin is? You really don't have a clue. You are probably like Steve and others that know how to talk but when it comes time for action you are missing in action. I was the only one that put my actions where my mouth was. No one else stepped up. Not one.

19. senior smoke

Hi Don:
    The reason I asked if you were a trap shooter was because I saw the initials Don M and I was not sure if it was you or not. For the people who don't know, Don has been one of the best shooters from our state. He has done so much for our sport and to be honest even though I have never spoke with Don personally, I have admired him for his contributions to our sport as well as his shooting ability for years.
    Steve

20. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well this is interesting. As a past BOD of Cudahy I can say that Don M was very active. We were and still are very much for keeping the sport everywhere that is possible. Milwaukee GC. closed before my time, but if there were people there willing to do some give and take it might still be there. As for Cudahy great group of shooters and WITHOUT question the best backround in the state of WI. It is a shame I will miss my annual visit there this year.

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hugh leroy brown - trapshooting

milwaukee gun club

milwaukee shooting club
milwaukee trap shooting
old milwauke gun club
old milwaukee gun club
trapshooting milwaukee
were in milwaukee ciunty can i shoot shot gun