1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Mental Game

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I am particularly fond of Phil's discussion of the mental game in his new tape. The mental game is what keeps me in this sport besides the pure fun of smoking the hello out of a target that's trying to get away.

Last night the BarraKuhner was on and I mean on. I was getting deep smoke, wide smoke, close smoke, smoke to the left after a couple of 3 piecers to the left. What I couldn't get was alternate smoke. Before shooting we were discussing sequencing - you get a slightly right angled target, followed by another, then another, then a hard left - miss. Damn. And of course, after discussing this, alternating targets just wouldn't smoke.

Seems I paid attention to the cause rather than the cure. Then on the way home, a brother coon ran out in front of me and I killed the poor fella. A part of me is dying over this. Phil says it's the guy inside who wants to take the pressure off by missing that target. A part of me wants to tear down my score so I can build it back up again - familiar turf rather than new turf of higher scores.

Then there was a 4.5 sized earth quake in the middle of the night. The mirror was rattling so I got up and thought - my mental game is shaky. I'm widening my awareness a little and will surely generate some alternate smoke.

In the mental game if you think something is related, it's related. It's a crazy world. If you pay attention to something, it comes to fruition. Pay attention to that target because you're about to smack the horse pucky out of it.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The mental game is where it's at. The key is to get into the "zone". This is done by shutting off the conscious mind and letting the subconscous take over. Not an easy task to accomplish. HMB

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I'm going to have to build myself a zone.

Manage that mental context.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.