1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Master

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shot410ga, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The Master: If any of you would like to see a superb movie, go see "The Master." A thinly disguised film about 'H. Ron Hubbard" the guru of Scientology. A very good film.

2. LFT687

LFT687 Member

I went to see it on a weekday day off matinee. I was the youngest person in the small audience. While the film was rivetting, and yes, Phillip Seymor Hoffman was excellent, when the movie ended there was a stunned, confused silence followed by a chorus of "WTFs". While I think I "got" it, and left the theater laughing, I have to admit, there was not a single likeable character in the entire film.

It kind of remids me of going to see the movie "Barton Fink" years ago based on critical reviews. I think I'll stick to zombie movies and shoot 'em ups!

Dave

3. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Although I knew it was going to be a "dark" film (Ie/Anderson-"Their will be blood"), my bride(45 yrs)suggested we see it. Great acting by the major cast------however , at the conclusion my only question was--ANY CHANCE I CAN GET MY MONEY BACK ?

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I went to see it while visiting my Children in NY City. Both of my Children are "Artsy" knowing just about everything about the Theater and Movies and also working in that industry. At the end of the movie I witheld my overall poor review of it until my Children spoke. Instaed of arguing like we usually do, we all concluded that it stunk ecxecpt for Phillip Seymor Hoffman's acting. Jouqiune Phoneix who is an excellant actor we all believed was a mis-cast. To pick a specifiec area of the movie that is poor was hard. It was disjointed and lacked a sensible flow.
    *******3 thumbs up *****
    blade819

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

OT, but related.

If you'd like a couple of fun reads with L. Ron Hubbard as one of the characters, check out Paul Malmont's "The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril", copyright 2006, and "The Astounding, the Amazing, and the Unknown", copyright 2011.

Set in the '30s-'40s, other characters include Robert A. Heinlein, L. Sprague DeCamp, Isaac Asimov, Lester Dent (creator of Doc Savage), Walter Gibson (the mind behind The Shadow) and H. P. Lovecraft.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_12?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=paul+malmont&sprefix=paul+malmont%2Caps%2C287
    [​IMG]

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

One needs to have some intellectual abilities to begin to understand such a provocative film. There are a cast of subtleties and innuendos which helps one understand the religion Hubbard invented.

7. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wow, I didn't realize I was quite that low on the IQ scale. Oh well, may I suggest that if you want info on LRH you might want to seek info from sources other than an "Anderson" movie. As for movies, I usually attend for entertainment reasons. I choose to obtain historical info (regardless if it's good or bad) from other sources. In closing, it is still a bad/crummy/ "art film" movie with a good cast which offerd ZERO etertainment. Want to try a good art flick--THE MOST EXCOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL -all will enjoy!
    regards
    Bob

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

9. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I read a bio of another science fiction writer, and he said (and the bio is known to be true) scientology was born at a lunch table with a number of writers that had writers block and could not think of anything new to write about. Some one said while bantering about religion "Hey Ron why don't you come up with your own religion, that way you can change it any way you want."

Waaala, I will say god came in a space ship.

What a bunch of crap, and wouldn't you know most of hollywood bought into it.

Nope : I am not an intelexual I proudly say.

CM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.