1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lost Art of the Cut-Shell...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by turbobike, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbobike

turbobike Member

For your viewing pleasure...

http://www.2ndamendmenttv.com/videos/shotguns/lost-arts-pt-1.html

Now I know where Santa is in the summer!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Very interesting. His pocket knife is damn sharp too. I do not believe as mine sits in my pocket that it would cut a shell that easily. Just say'n.......

I'm sure it takes some practice to get them to perform as his did.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was taught that by my Uncle when I was about 15 years old, was bird hunting and ran across a nice Buck ... I'm glad you posted that because I plum forgot about doing that with shotgun shells ... Once they are cut like that they can easily drop a Deer, I saw it happen with my own eyes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. grntitan

How important is the cut placement?

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Devastating.

6. 3357

3357 Member

My Grandfather showed me how to do that. He grew up doing it for deer but with paper shells and before plastic wads. His technique was to "almost" cut the paper hull all the way through but not quite. I think he advised to make the cut about 2/3rds of the way down so the cut was about mid-way on the fibre wad column between the powder and shot.

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

They sometimes call them "whisslers" on the skeet range. It happens all to offen with 410s.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Matt you have to cut approx 1/2 down the (plastic) length of the shell as I recall and after seeing them do it on the video ... Its makes the ol' 12 gauge a rifle and they are really pretty accurate ... I'm not sure where my Uncle learned it but it was one of those things you pass on to friends and family just for giggles ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. grntitan

Thanks Bill. I gotta try it later today. It looks like a deal that could win you some cash on a bet.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Had a buddy cut five 12 g. ,3 1/4 , 1 oz./8's "dove loads'.......shot them into a piece of cardboard tacked to a telephone pole (from about 20 paces). When he took the cardboard down all that was holding the pole up was It's wires.

11. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I saw some old timers put on a demonstration using these at my old gun club in New York back in the late '60s.

They set up an old oak plank, did a regular pattern on it first, then took a cut shell and fired it from probably 25 yards...plank pieces blew out all over the place,,,nice clean hole on entry but the whole back of the board was shattered when it (the shell) exploded after entry.

They did this demonstration quite often..What a sight !

Dave in SC

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Interesting & VERY COOL

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

You don't have to cut them if you use Blue Magic and some worn out Gold Medals..:0)

I watched a friend shoot a Blue Magic and it came out in one piece. It was like watching everything in slow motion, he broke the target right in half.

This week I shot a Gold Medal that I had reloaded to many times and it came out that way, I missed. My friend is a much better shot!

Ajax

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A few years back this topic came up and Neil W. performed this test in his pressure gun and posted the results. The chamber pressures were extremely low on the scale according to what it would have been otherwise! I don't recall what the velocity was though?

My grandfather killed a black bear with such a load back in the 20s or very early 30s in WV! A cut shell makes for a devastating load at short distances!

Hap

15. rmy

rmy Member

I used to shoot with Earl Scripture in El Paso. I didn't see it happen, but heard the story of Earl betting someone that they could not knock an orange cone off the top of the traphouse from the 27 with a trap load. After they failed, he would bet them that he could do it. Then he would cut a shell and proceed to blow it off. Don't know if this is true or not, but it should be. rmy

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I would believe that rmy. It was a bird guide that showed me that years ago fooling around in Canada one time. They are accurate and I'm sure they've taken plenty of game over time.

17. grntitan

Pat--Got that right about getting caught with one while deer hunting. Especially here in IL. They make that pretty clear in the rules/laws about having a shotshell while deer hunting. Never did unerstand why couldn't i shoot a rabbit while deer hunting. I wouldn't want to use the slug to do it. Of course we can't use 00 buck either so there you go. Some idiot would shoot a deer with 6's if you allowed it. :)

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Close up ... like 16 yards, a head or neck shot ... #6s would give you a very dead deer!

19. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

What was up with all those Hee Haws and there black guns, not to mention the boot deal. That shell was already cut, look at his hands at the end of the video, there as soft as my lady friend.

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

We used to do it with buckshot when I was a kid to kill geese farther. I had a crazy uncle as well.Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.