1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lone Ranger - Movie

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by School Teacher, Aug 6, 2013.

1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The wife and I went to see The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp as Tonto. We loved the movie and have seen it 4 additional times. We were both kids of the 1950's and loved the Lone Ranger and Tonto on TV.

This movie is not like the TV show but it is very entertaining. The visual effects are stunning and the sound track gets your blood pumping. It is also very funny in some parts.

It is not the box office success that the makers anticipated but to my wife and I, it gets a 5 star rating.

To me, there are several tongue in cheek flashbacks to scenes from movies like Little Big Man, Big Jake, Indiana Jones and others.

The William Tell overture played in surround sound really sets off the last 20 minutes of the movie.

Ed Ward

2. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

IMHO Hugely far fetched and very cheesy. Too long too. But it was entertaining in an escapist sort of way.
    dju

3. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Really?? OK,then we`ll have to go and check it out.Thanks

4. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I thought it was great also. But I think you have to be from our generation to appreictae it. The generation today proably doesnt have a clue who the lone ranger was.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I took my 10 yr. old grandson, we both thought it was well worth the $$.

As an adult (and child of the 1950's TV series) I found that there is plenty of humor mixed in, if the viewer is smart enough to reference same, which of course most are not!!

Curt

6. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Went 2 see the movie and thought what the HELL am I doing here the sound was so loud it vibrated the seats. and too my 80 year old ears. We got up and left, blew $15.00. Hell that is almost 2 practice rounds of trap.

7. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I wanted to see it from the start but heard that the political crap entered the movie. In the original book and TV the Lone Ranger had a mask because he was the only surviving ranger. I heard that in this movie he has the mask because he is ashamed to be white because of all the indians the white man has killed. True or false?

8. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I usually enjoy Johnny Depp movies but this one was like watching Capt. Jack Sparrow in an Indian costume with a bad hangover. Sorry!!

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Bernie, this movie has the same effect on me that Roots did. I just can't look at White people the same way anymore.

10. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

False. He wore the mask cause the bad guys thought he had died. Birdtracker

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I left before the end,,,,,,,the PC was total bs,,,,,,how Tonto was mentally ill; the lone ranger didn't like guns; that the lr was an attorney and not an actual ranger; Silver was able to stand on a barn roof and liked whiskey,,,,,,,sorry, but there are some things that should NOT be changed, Superman and the Lone Ranger had morals and integrity,,,,,which seems to be severely lacking today.......

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I didn't even believe in nor like the Lone Ranger in the 50's when I was a kid. Same for the Metro gay Batman and Robin show. Now, Roy Rogers with his unlimited bullets out of a six shooter, and his Pal driving a Jeep-----That was a real Cowboy show!

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The wife and I are big fans of Johnny Depp. If you don't get his weirdness you just won't like his movies. Can't wait to see it! Bill

14. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

You might as well just mail your money into the WH.

Kip

15. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

BrownK80 that is exactly what I thought!!!

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I also enjoyed the lone ranger as a kid. Many people believe that the lone ranger and Tonto were friends, but I question that as on almost every episode on TV the lone ranger would send Tonto into town by himself, and the town's people would beat the crap out of him and lay him across his horse and some how the horse rode him back to the lone ranger as Tonto was strapped to his horse.

The lone ranger always acted shocked after he would send Tonto into town by himself and then his so called Indian friend Tonto would get beat up in every episode as Tonto would always say " Kemosabe, town's people don't like Indians". The term Kemosabe in indian translated means "you SOB, you did it to me again".

I'll never forget Tonto's famous story. One day Tonto's youngest son walked into his father's tepee. The kid asked Tonto, where did my oldest brother get his name? Tonto replied, I was making love to your mother and I raised my head and looked out of the tepee and I saw a bear running by. That's how your brother got his name, Running Bear.

The kid then asked how did my other brother get his name? Tonto replied, I was making love to your mother one day, and I raised my head and saw a deer running by, that's how your other brother got his name, Running Deer.

Tonto then asked, why so many questions, Two Dog Fu--ing?

As a kid I got to meet the Lone Ranger in person at a local movie theatre as he was promoting one of his new movies.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Johnny Depp looks more like a witch doctor than an indian.

The Lone Ranger is anti-gun. Swell.

And he's a surviving lawyer, not a ranger? Actually if a bunch of lawyers got killed off that would not be a bad plot change.