1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The light finally came on

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've been fighting a static problem, for the last month or so, while reloading shells. The only thing that had changed, or so I thought, was the loader I was using.

I have recently acquired a couple of 366's and started reloading my shells on them instead of the Mec's that I'd been using for years. While I have reloaded thousands of 12ga shells, I am new to 20 ga reloading and had a hard time with powder migration on my 20ga hulls. I did my usual trick on graphiteing the powder tube, rolling shot inside them to cut down on the static charge. I still had a problem. I wasn't having problems with my 12ga though. I did however narrow the problem down to my hulls carring the static charge and not the loader or componets.

Well, while sitting down this fine mornin' and drinking a cup of coffee, it dawned on me what my problem was. Storage! I have always kept my 12ga hulls in fabric style hampers to keep them seperated. When I started to collect 20ga hulls, I just seperated them into different 5 gal plastic buckets. This is where my static problem lies. The plastic builds up the static charge in the hulls and the fabric lets it disapate.

Those of you storing hulls in a plastic container should remove them from said container and put them in a cardboard box or fabric style container to disapate the static charge. It seems as if the longer the hull resides in the plastic container, the worse the problem is. If you reload your hulls in a quick manor, after firing, the problem doesn't seem to exsist. A couple of months of storage is all it seems to create this problem on 20 ga hulls.

I reload inside my dwelling so I usually don't have the problems with overly dry air adding to the static problem. I hope this helps a few of you out.

ec90t

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jack,

20 ga hulls are fairly translucent and in a well lit reloading area you can see the flakes of powder sticking to the sides of the hull. I tried flicking the hulls with my finger to no avail. You have to physically look down inside a 12 ga hull to se this phenomenum.

ec90t

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

I too use a 366 and was having problems with bloopers. I knew it had to be from static so I grounded my loader and put a dryer softner in the powder tube but I was still having problems. I would never have thought that storing the hulls in plastic would be the cause. Thanks for the idea.

Jim

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jim,

I would tend to think that the problem would be even worse for you living further north, a lot further north, than I do.

I'm going to remove thr static charge in my hulls by shaking them in a cardboard box with a few dryer sheets and letting them set for a couple of weeks.

ec90t

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

ec90t, very good advice guy! Another thing to do that helps cut down on static electricity in my hulls, put a few of the static guard sheets used in laundry in the hull boxes and wipe down the plastic shot/powder bottles with one. I did hang one in my powder bottle one time, bad idea for me! Great way to plug up the powder flow.

That powder flying all around in the case helps burn them up a lot quicker too. Hap

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jack,

If you don't plan on reloading them for a while, the static can be removed by changing containers. Store them in leftover target boxes or whatever.

If you plan on reloading them in the near future, I would try the dryer sheet and carboard/fabric container.

I should have also noted earlier, that the fabric should be that of a cotton based and not polyester. Polyester being a plastic will not help resolve the matter.

I'm also going to get a can of static guard while I'm out today and see if it can be used on a shot term basis. I want to try it on a few hulls and make sure that the residue doesn't add to the problem.

ec90t

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jerry,

That, I couldn't tell you. I only reload Hodgdon powders these days.

ec90t

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Thanks for the tip. I load my shells from the MEC's directly into 5-gallon buckets. Over time I've noticed that when I dump the loaded shells out of the bucket, there's sometimes powder (Hodgdon Clays) clinging to the sides of the bucket (not admitting anything, but if a shell is inadvertently loaded without a wad, its powder & shot can end up in the bucket.) So I've seen, too, that those buckets can generate lots of static. Good tip. Phil E

9. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

ec90t,

Thanks for the tip about static electricity and plastic containers. I store my empties in cardboard target boxes but have being using a plastic bucket to drop my freshly loaded rounds into. Like Phil, I have been noticing a lot of dust, etc. on the loaded rounds and have been trying to blow it off or wipe it off as I box them. Sat. while shooting a couple of rounds at the club, my "friends" were accusing me of spitting on my shells for luck as I was trying to blow the accumulated dust from them prior to loading.

I will switch to a cardboard container for the receptacle to catch my rounds under the 800+ and all should be fine again.

HBT

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

If a hull had any build up of static electricity, it would discharge when you pick up the hull and/or place the hull on the metal reloader.

Pat Ireland

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I have found that a dirty shot bottle used for powder does not have a static problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.