1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Life of a Hull

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hipshot 3, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I think most shooters who have been at it for a while realize this but others may not. What I'm refering to is knowing WHEN to bury a hull. Do you go strictly by how many times your records tell you its been reloaded? If you do, your are making a mistake! Hulls are a very important part of the shell. If, for some reason it is dead but being kept alive, then you are responsible for contributing to the inefficiency of your reloads. All hulls should be visually inspected after EVERY shooting! OK, fine.....now what tells you its dead? Thats the big question. Different shooters who inspect their hulls after each shot will use different criteria for discarding them. Who you YOU look for? Some hulls are better made and last longer than others. ANY hull can die before you think it is "supposed to"!That's why it needs frequent inspection. I, personnaly, don't "push" a hull. If it "looks" bad, is spilt anywhere,is burned around the top, or any other problem....to the landfill it goes. Why waste money filling a hull that may be letting you down on the range....without you knowing it? Your thoughts?

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

When it won't hold a primer or a crimp

3. Pukey Stagg

Pukey Stagg TS Member

Wow!! This is REALLY INTERESTING. Why don't any of you other bums come up with a subject this enjoyable? Snore Snore.

Pukey

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

5 time rotation for me, then chuck STS/nitro/gunclub

5. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Used to mark them with a pen to track the number of times reloaded; realized it wasn't worth the effort.

Once the hulls start getting black I'll check the crimp for splits. If its starting to split (or just getting too cruddy) I mark the head so I'll know to eject it after firing one last time.

I'm guessing around 6-7 reloads for an STS before they get tossed.

Jim

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If I have a split crimp or pin hole in the crimp area, I trash the hull. Every hull is inspected each time they've been shot. I don't worry about how many times the hull has been reloaded until I see the split crimp or pin hole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.