1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Leo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bernie K, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

A shooting friend of mine mentioned that there should be a trophy like an Emmy or Oscar that can be presented to a shooter each year called the Leo. This would be awarded once a year to a shooter that exhibits friendy acts towards others in our sport and most important to younger shooters.

This would be a vote by the members of our ATA not from the BOD or EC.

Just want to get some ideas and your thoughts. Bernie K.

2. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Anything like that gets my vote...

There will never be another Leo Harrison III.....

Never!

milt

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

That is an excellent idea. Scott

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

"Leo Harrison III" The Man, the Myth, The Legend ... What more can be said about the Big Man ..? WPT .... (YAC) ...

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

And a "Karla" for a non-shooting spouse of a shooter who has done the most to support trapshooting during the previous year?

6. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Maybe the Leo Harrison memorial trophy.

There will never be another with Leo's ability or class.

Leo was the best in this lifetime.

7. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

When amateur wrestling lost Dave Shultz in 1996, an award was created to honor his name as well as a H.S. wrestler from each state. Those state winners were then broken down into regional winners and finally the national winner was selected.

The award is based on athletic achievement, community service, academics and citizenship.

See link above.

I would love to see something like this happen.

8. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

My friend and I are very pleased that this is on the positive side. I like user1 and 9points ideas. That's why I posted this the more input we can get the better this will be.

The Karla award for the women is another great idea. Lets keep this going and get it started, maybe the first winner could be at the Grand next year. Bernie

9. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Wow, so many possibilities.

Besides pure ability, which Leo had plenty, you could certainly award it to acknowledge things like youth mentoring, most improved, friendliness, or just being someone that ADDS to the sport.

It should happen to honor such a unique individual.

May he rest in peace.

10. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Ray Stafford was the person behind getting the "Tom Seitz" award started. I contributed then and I would be glad to with the "Leo Harrison" award. This could be BIG, as I'm sure many people would donate to get this award started. Probably the most prestigious award to be awarded at the grand.

Count me in !!!

Tom Strunk

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Like Tom Strunk said, count me in also & probably a thousand others. I never heard an unkind word about the BIG man, so I think you will get a lot of support for a venture like this. Ross Puls

12. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Personally, I would like the HOA award at the Grand to be named " The Leo Harrison III HOA Award", after all, it was his trophy. He has dominated our sport against all comers, winning HOA 15 times. To me the HOA represents the most prestigious award at the Grand with HAA being second.

Charlie Becknell

13. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

The HOA is good but I would like this award to go to someone not just with gun ability but most important kindness to others and helping young shooters as Leo did. I am sure some of the HOA shooters are not always the kind of folk that represent the Big Man. just my opinion.

It could be something as simple as a pin. Leo was a simple person, no bragger. I think something simple would be the best show of respect. Maybe as one shooter said one per state.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Great Idea and I agree 100% with you Bernie,..it should stand for achievements on all facets of the sport and sportsmanship

15. red hammer

red hammer Member

Maybe not just the young there is a lot of good men out there that could be eligible for the award but a great idea

16. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Bernie,

Can you imagine the pride of every State and Province shooter who was honored to receive, and wear a Leo III pin ?

An annual pin, awarded at each State and Province shoot, to a shooter who best displayed Leo's character.

Excellent suggestion Bernie !

17. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Can someone direct me to a place where the shoot pins we get at shoots when we sign up can be purchased? Maybe the face of Leo with his warm smile. I think the guy on here that does the poster art of the shooters could design a great looking pin.

18. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Bernie,

I believee you can get with Puablo, who you know from the New York State shoots. He is the one on here who does the drawings you are referring to.

Also Check with Joe Strucker Atl. Delegate for NY at the club Sunday to find out where they get the pins made. He should know or be able to find out for you.

Dave

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I love your idea, Bernie. And I'm on board with " the Karla" as well.