1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The latest Brady Campaign nonsense....

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Here's the latest email going around from the Brady Bunch....

----------------------------------

Dear Unarmed Useful Tool:

"Add a gun to any highly charged situation and all you are going to get is chaos and confusion - often ending in a horrendous tragedy.

Since the Norwegian shooting on July 22nd there have been ten mass shootings in America. Add stronger firepower and shootings become even more deadly.

We are fighting to end this senseless violence but we need your help.

We are already gearing up for the next legislative session. Because the easy availability of assault clips makes a dangerous situation even more deadly, banning high capacity assault clips is a legislative priority for us.

Please help us in our work to ban assault clips in this country. These clips are specifically designed to enable shooting mass numbers of people quickly and efficiently without reloading - and are not needed for hunting or self-defense.

Just over the past few days we have seen:

Suspicion of a gunman at Virginia Tech shuts the campus down for several hours on Thursday

A family argument in Ohio on Sunday leaves seven dead

Three separate murder/suicides within one week shatter Maryland neighborhoods

This is all a direct result of the NRA’s agenda to push "any gun, anywhere for anyone" and here at the Brady Campaign we are fighting to stop them.

Adding assault clips to a gun in the wrong hands is how we get the Tucson, Virginia Tech and Columbine tragedies, and many others that don’t get national attention.

We have to stop this and with your help we can. Please give a generous gift today. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Dennis Henigan<br>
    Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

P.S. Click here to see Law & Order:SVU star, Richard Belzer and former NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton's new ad to ban large capacity magazines.

We need to tell lawmakers that guns only add chaos and confusion when they are in every corner of our lives.

Contribute. Forward this email.

-------------------------------------

A friend made this observation. I can't improve on it:

Their 7 examples include 1 incident where there was no gunman, and 3 murder/suicides. Are we really suffering an epidemic of ex-husbands shooting their wives 29 times and then themselves once?

They are a sad joke, and if their pathetic "logic" is working on Americans, then we're doomed because people are too stupid to live, and will doubtless all die checking for gas leaks with matches, or running with scissors.

If you're the only person in a building with a gun, it doesn't much matter how often you have to reload. The sheep will wait, they don't have any choice.

Britain didn't stop when they got the poor castrated citizens down to TWO ROUND limits; they kept going and effectively banned all guns for the little people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungerford_massacre

The Brady/Goebbels Campaign won't ever go away, not as long as one citizen believes that he has the means to protect himself and to say "no" to an agent of the government, at the door to seize your overweight child, take your home to sell to Donald Trump, or conduct a warrantless search in the name of "fighting terrorism". Like England, they will still be there to argue for the regulation and registration of "crime knives", bats, and pointy sticks.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2007/03/27/uk-britain-crime-knives-idUKL2725351720070327

2. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Brian,
    Statistics could prove them wrong. There are something like 80 million legal gun owners, nationally. If gun ownership leads to gun violence then there would have been based on only two incidents per owner per year, 160 million gun violent gun encounters per year. I believe the actual encounters are in the 10 thousands nationally, if even that. And the actual violent gun encounters stats include Police and FBI incidents.
    I don't have what the actual violent gun encounters are per year but it's probably very low percentage to legal gun owners.
    But, even that is not correct because the incidents usually involve guns that are not legally owned.
    If I had the correct statistics I could probably prove their thinking as being way off base which it is.

3. rpeerless

I may be able to find figures from 2009 when I first did some research on the issue. Would like to see something more current.

What I read that is far more unnerving has to do with "Capps Law" and was on one of the Stansberry presentations. It had something to the effect that guns could be confiscated by the government to reduce the national debt (sold to foreign countries?) except for guns that were prior to 1800 and something. (Which probably means some collector of 1800's guns doesn't have to worry.) And supposedly This Capp's law is already in one of the bills already passed.
    Lois Capp who helped intro this is supposedly a friend of Nancy Pelosi.
    Talk about undermining the Second Amendment.

Been trying to research this...

i.e. are guns a good investment...? Good question.

4. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

"assault clips"...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This would be hilarious if these people didn't have the ear of the White House and half of Congress.

Next they'll want to ban Baseball Bats as "Assault Sticks". Only people who are registered members of an official government approved league will be allowed to purchase "Assault Sticks".

5. rpeerless

Don, I read something a couple of weeks ago about a case in Massachusetts that involved "shod feet" (feet with shoes on) that were considered "weapons" in a court case involving I believe it was a kick to the groin. So look forward to going barefoot; that ought to hurt the shoe industry. Also, back a couple of years ago, I read that in Great Britian knife incidents were on the rise and that legislation was being brought forward to regulate length of kitchen knives. There is no end to it. We have a right to self defense.

6. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

How many people are killed, maimed, or hurt annually by drunk drivers?

I'll bet the number is higher!

Why don't they attack them!

John Semprini

7. rpeerless

Notice target shooting or competitive shooting was not mentioned. Only 'bloody hunting and self defense'. It's about gun violence and gun bans. Now getting back to the statistics...the statistics for "assault clips used in violent gun incidents is most likely miniscule in the percentage to total gun incidents. This gun incidents percentage to total gun owners is probably way less (three decimals out from one per cent .00?) This shrinks even more in percentage to total population. So how is this legislation for the common good when it involves a miniscule portion of the population?? Waste of tax dollars.

Bus and motorcycle accidents have been claiming many lives lately in the news. It would make more sense for Libs to investigate these incidents for mutiple loss of life.

As for the unfortunate gun/bus incident shown on TV recently it is reminicent of a newsreel from Africa in the 1970's.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

John there are already laws against drunk driving, and the costs involved are pretty steep, but it is wrong to drive drunk

I bet there are as many people killed each year from cell phone talking/texting while driving as drunk driving

I am so tired of the damn people who think they know all, yeah take the guns, the crooks will still have them

9. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

There is no such thing as an assault clip. The only clip used for ammo that is popular is for the Garand. Their ignorance shows when they use such terminology as assault clips. Yes, ban all the assault clips today, with the exception of the 8 round Garand clip. I'm for it ---- 'Ban the Assault Clip'...

We live with fools....

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

A magazine becomes a "Assault Clip" when it is loaded with ammo and you put it in your hand like "brass knuckles" and beat the c##p out of a criminal!

11. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Read a story about the riots in England. Many people and rioters are arming themselves with aluminum baseball or cricket bats. I guess Assault Bats will be banned in England next!...Bill

12. rpeerless

So we have people making laws about items they no nothing about to keep other people a miniscule amount of people, who do know, from using them. This is the role of intelligent government?

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

As for the term "clip" , I have read a book, "With the Old Breed" by E. B. Sledge.One of the books that the series "Pacific" was based on. He stated that Marines in the Pacific during WW2 commonly referred to all magazines as "clips". Once they returned home after the war I assume they all greatly influenced the use of the term.

14. rpeerless

Hey Jerry, respectfully, the problem is not with the word clip but with the word assault. I don't think you could have an assault clip unless you throw it at someone. :) I was going to comment on that last night but I thought the statistical information was more important. I forgot to mention the percentage of national gun violence to national total crime was about 23% in 2009 including police use of guns, if my memory serves me correctly. I'm sure it is deliberately on the rise as we speak.

15. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

All of this goes back to the basic notion that the punishment needs to fit the crime.

In most if not all states, the first offense of drunk driving is a mere misdemeanor offense, not a big deal...

Without going into all the schedules of drugs and sentencing guidelines... quite a few marijuana traffickers end up with a suspended sentence and probation.

Deal some coke, receive an 8 year sentence with 4 suspended and with 50% good time at the state level the guy is out in 2 with time served means the turd spends say 15 months in DOC.

Molest a kid, same deal....

I know of two brothers locked up in northern Indiana a few years back on a controlled delivery of over 1 ton of weed. Should have been minimum mandatory of 10 years for both, well those minimum mandatory sentences are no longer mandatory and are advisory only for judges nationwide to impose 'fair' sentences. Both of them received about 6 year federal sentences in which they only need to serve 85% with 'good time.' Did I mention it was over 1 ton of weed????

Illegally entering the U.S. is subject to a maximum of a 180 day sentence under federal law.

This brings us back to the age old debate of retribution or rehabilitation...

IMO, I believe in the school of thought that punishment must be swift and severe... neither of which is common practice in the USA today.

Point being, making something or an act illegal is not worth the paper it is written on or more importantly worth the lives of those trying to enforce such laws to include the financial cost of enforcement of such laws if the punishment does not fit the crime.

We could significantly reduce gun, drug, and other crimes, in this country, we could seal the border however, at this point in time, the average citizen is not willing to stomach what it would take to reduce said crimes; rather it is easier to pass more restrictive laws that do nothing but rob liberty from law abiding citizens who do follow the law while the criminals continue to ignore the laws of the land.

16. rpeerless

Found figures for 2005 less than 1/4 of violent crimes were aggravated assaults
    that had weapons. 78% of aggravated assaults had no weapon. 1.2% of violent crimes are homicides. Approximately 1/4 of the total homicides had weapons. 56% of homicides were committed with other weapons and without guns.

17. rpeerless

The above stats were from 2005 FBI website and I believe are National stats. The newer FBI reports are worldwide and include terrorists and more refined stats from what I could determine at a glance.

Also, better than half of the total (24% total homicides to violent crime) were justifiable homicides by police and armed citizens.

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall." — Adolf Hitler, Edict of 18 March 1939

19. rpeerless

The truth be known the statistics show that although 80 million people legally own guns the statistics for gun violence are low: less than 25% of total violent crime involved guns and most criminals do not own guns legally. The way the press rants you'd think 75% was with guns. The statistics do not make the case for gun control. In fact a good attorney could take the statistics and refute all of the proposed changes for gun control using the statistics as they are right now and make the case for pro gun owners. Thus protecting the Second Amendment.
    Unfortunately it seems that laws are being pushed through by emotional factors rather than saved by common sense facts and figures. A blind eye is being turned to the truth.
    Also, with illegal guns being placed in the wrong hands the statistics will more than likely spike to the negative.

20. rpeerless

Gave it more thought. The way it is being handled right now goes like this as an example: A relative of mine, rest his soul dies when he hits a rock with his bicycle and tumbles down a cliff. I hate bicycles because well just because they are ugly. Now my dislike for bikes has reached a new height because a bike has claimed the life of someone I held dear. I think that had it not been for that bike my relative would still be alive. So I move to remove all bikes from the total population even though only 50% of the population ride bikes and less than 1% get in accidents.
    Or, another example, a relative who is artist dies from inhaling paint fumes and falls on a pointy paint brush held by another artist. I think all pointy paint brushes should be banned because they are a hazard and I don't want it to happen to anyone else. I don't paint and think you should not paint either because of the risk. Oh, and the fumes. And the paint is bad for the environment but the artist cleans up after himself so I'll let that part slide. Although only 25% of the population own pointy paint brushes and know how to use them safely and incidents with brushes are only .125of 1% but I will move to ban all pointy paint brushes well because everyone should think and do like me. That is the thinking that is driving the moves against the Second Amendment. The nanny state. Correct and not skewed statistics as a science can take on this way of thinking along with the laws of probability and chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.