1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Last 2 ATA shoots!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

The Last 2 ATA shoots I've shot 96 out of 100 with field guns, I have trap guns but don't seem to shoot them as well because of the high stock. So I'm thinking maybe all these High dollar trap guns are overrated. I mean It's fine if you can afford one but are they really a must to compete?

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know I was just thinking the other night while contemplating my thoughts in regards to a comment I made about crutches and such with trap shooting. I was thinking to myself that 20 or 30 or 50 or even longer ago than that how many shooters actually shot a trap gun instead of a field gun? How many shooters had adjustable combs and adjustable butt pads and adjustable ribs and this and that fancy thing to improve there shooting ... just how many used a fancy special trap gun or just showed up and shot a nothing fancy and nothing special everyday field gun.

Shoot what you like and like what you shoot and if you shoot a field gun better than a fancy trap gun then shoot that field gun and have fun doing it.

How many of us have seen some ole'timer on the range with his trusty ole favorite gun slam bammin them clays into oblivion just as good as the young'n next to him with his high dollar fancy schmancy trap gun ... well you know ... we all have seen it happen.

3. postman

postman TS Member

not trying to be rude, but 96 isn't a competitive score. maybe you just made a case that you need a flatter shooting gun

4. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Your right 96's did'nt win either shoot 98's did but 2 targets out when you're shooting mid 90's is possible and will keep the pressure on them!

5. postman

postman TS Member

i know that this this is straying from targetmasters original point, but from what i gathered, he implied that 96 is a good enough score to really compete. if he maintained a AAA average with that gun, then i'd say he made a point that his field gun is good enough to compete, and he is doing fine with it.

I'm not saying it would help or wouldn't help, but a 96, even for an average (in singles), still has lots of room for improvement. Perhaps a high dollar gun with a lower POI would get him to where he can really and truly compete at a decent shoot.

ALSO of course maybe the field gun is the answer for him, just not this guy.

roger, i haven't shot under 96 in 2 years.

6. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

My point simply fellows was if my field guns are breaking all but 4 out of 100 would a 10,000 gun pick up those Last 4 targets? I doubt It, The problem Lies with the shooter needing more focus and concentration. No this was'nt a state shoot or Zone shoot Just a regular ATA shoot in a small town, And I have seen mid 90's win these many times. We are never happy until we shoot 100 straights all the time and that keeps me trying, Just as well as 99% of the shooters who don't break 100 straight every time they shoot.

7. largeolive

largeolive TS Member

I saw a guy at Livermore last year shoot 100 straight from the 22 or 23 he played the options and won somethin like 2 grand or more with an 870
    It doesn't matter what the gun is / there are alot of other factors

8. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Postman's post made sense to me, might just be the "higher dollar guns" shot too high for you...or maybe they didn't fit you as well as this field gun? In any case, no, a more expensive gun won't get you more (or less, I don't think) targets. It's the money you put into learning how to shoot (with that gun) that will make a difference in your scores. I think.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

targetmaster- You can be proud of shooting a pair of 96's. Keep shooting the gun that shoots well for you. But, do not jump to any firm conclusions based on two scores. It is possible you have found just the right gun for you. Or, you may have been shooting very well your last two shoots and would have broken a good score with any gun. Shoot another 1000 targets and write back to us. I hope you write back and tell us that your scores have steadily gotten higher with the gun.

The price of the gun and where the gun shoots is not really important as long as you shoot the gun well.

Pat Ireland

10. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Thanks all and a special thanks to Pat, I always Listen to what he says because I've been on this board along time and all his post always make sense to me.

11. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i have always wondered why anyone would spend big bucks on a gun that would hold only one shell.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

fearlessfain- Is the gun that holds the most shells the best? I would prefer a gun that shoots only one shell well over a gun that shoots 5 shells poorly. Of course, my gun will shoot one shell well, but I can shoot my gun poorly five times. I can provide irrefutable evidence to support this claim.

Pat Ireland

13. 2labman

2labman Member

There is the enjoyment factor also. Shooting 100, 200, 300 or MORE in one day does wear on a person. I can say in my experience the "high dollar gun" is more enjoyable to shoot, whether is be 1 target or 500. I really struggled with the decision to by a new gun, but I have to tell you, everytime I shoot my new P-2005 I say to myself, "Yea, it's worth it". It is a real pleasure to shoot. AND, although it may be all in my mind, I do believe I shoot it better also (I was just punched to the 27 at Missouri FH for the first time), so in my case, yes, it did make a difference in my scores.

14. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

At the Grand this year, a fellow in the squad just ahead of me was shooting a Browning 5 shot. I remarked to a fellow in my squad that you don't see that often any more. He watched a while and said," Shooting it pretty damn good to". Shoot whatever you shoot well........................Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.