1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Kuhner Patterning Method

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Steal what you can use and leave the rest:

1. 12 yards plus or minus from a bench. I use a plus symbol: '+'. If my
    pattern is large I move closer to make it easier to see in relation to the target. The bench removes alot of variables I have to deal with eventually, so I often skip this step, but I know it's there if I need it. Requires looking at beads which I hate to do even at the patterning board.

2. Free standing from same yardage with a plus symbol. Come up from the bottom of the plus symbol along the vertical line until the top of the bead hits the horizontal line and let it go. Now you and your gun fit are part of the results. I repeat until I'm convinced I know where my gun shoots. Adjust gun fit (or Holosight) and repeat until I'm happy with my pattern position in relation to the target.

3. Same close up yardage, change from a plus symbol to a heavy dot. Stop looking at the beads; just look at the target. See how many shots it takes to blow the dot from the cardboard. Let the fun begin.

4. Move to the back of the trap house with straight aways. Eyes stay on target, move to it and go. Move to the corners of the trap house. Smoke 'em.

5. Add some yardage as feel confident. From 16 yards start at position 3 and then move to other posts.

6. Add oscillation.

I once went to a D&D Clinic and saw a shotshell shooter consitently hit high and to one side from a free standing 30 or 35 yard distance. When he went to targets he smoked 'em all regardless of angle, so keep the goal in mind. The goal is to break targets not pick up a hobby patterning shotguns.

I hate looking at my beads even if it's just at the patterning board so I spend as little time as possible up close 'rifle shooting' and that goes for free standing as well as bench shooting. I don't shoot that way on the line, so I don't want to belabor the point unless I'm trouble shooting a known issue or checking a new gun.

Once saw a shooter with an 870 hit to one side from a free standing up close position until he was convinced he had a problem. He knew where he was when he fired his gun so he threw out some of the test patterns when he knew he was off his mark. This experience convinced him to get a stock with more adjustements, he went back to the patterning board and adjusted his stock until happy and now shoots well enough to place in club compentitions.

Also had a guy who has NEVER patterned his gun have ME shoot his 90T just one time. He would not do it himself and he just wanted me to shoot one shot. Well it shot flat as a pancake and he said he had his answer for missed targets. Everybody solves their own problems in their own way.

As Uncle Heimer used to say, there's more than one way to skin a 'coon and if you don't like the smell, take this 5 dollars and see if you can get your brother to do it. I kept the 5 bucks and found that chewing Juicy Fruit while skinnin' fixed the problem just fine.

Joe

The Kuhner Ideal Gun Company and Butcher Shop Stock Fitting

New rule in the stock fitting department: wear gloves when using a rasp.

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

WTFE! Tom Rhoads

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

WTFUWY?

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Patterning methods are like Green Bean Casserole recipes around here.

I think I'm going to publish my method for how to empty my empty shell pouch, and try to get it adopted as an internet ASTM standard ("Hold inverted pouch 13" +/- 1" above the Bob Allen shellbag, in still air at 25C and 50%RH").

Why should Neil have all the fun?

5. EE

EE Banned User Banned

It's usually a bit higher humidity than that around here, buzzy. Do you have an alternate method that will work in the South? I could print it on the bottom of my shell pouch.

EE

6. biff

biff Active Member

Joe, I think you are on to something! Keep on working on it and I hope you get it perfected, you are off to a very good start! Biff

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

But that couldn't have worked for the Kunher SN 01, Joe. How did that work? The part about it shooting right at the target, that is.

Otherwise, it looks fine to me. I like the fact that you don't say what the vertical "means."

Apropos Buzz' comment, I've branched into another area to keep him and EE on pins and needles. Film at ten!

Neil

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

You measure the point of impact of a gun, you pattern a load. It is not possible to pattern a gun. You can measure how a gun patterns a specific load.

Pat Ireland

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Oh cripes! The long-awaited study on whether porting affects POI!

(EE, I'll be over with a six-pack and a box of rubbers at 9:45)

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Your in luck EE . You know what time to be gone ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.