1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Kuhner Ideal Gun Company - Day 300

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rennerize, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Joe have your reloading test group install a mechanical ejector, that will "pry" the empty shell out of the chamber, Problem solved.
    Don

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I've been asleep while all this was going on. What is this all about?

3. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Beats me what is all about. I must have missed something too.

4. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Throw some water on the reel....she's heating up.

Rick in MT.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Joe forgot to take his meds again.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Paul.. despite your attempt at humor.. you're actually quite right about a different construction of a wad used under different loading conditions..

A barrel to safely shoot a double charge is not a problem..as I've built a "shotgun"..single shot that moves a 1.25 oz charge at 2600 fps.. and there was room for more.. based on a 50 BMG case.. and single shot McBros action.. pressure was under 55,000.. Primers are expensive.. Long barrels are a must..

7. B V

B V TS Member

PORTED?

CHOKE TUBES?

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

And, for our bunker friends, what is the barrel weight, measured down to the millipede?

Neil

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Neil..is that with or without choketubes???

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

PBB,

It's not with or without tubes, but stainless or Ti tubes:)

ss

11. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Is this thread for reel???
    Don

12. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Joe -

If there is so little real information, how can you conclude that a gun can handle a lot of pressure (or just a little pressure, for that matter). Seems like the lack of information would make that difficult.

I'm yet to be scared to shoot any shell that I've put in any of my guns.

Scott

13. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

It may be time for you to put the crack pipe aside for a while.

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My Titanium Cole safely handled a 50 BMG round..with no sign of failure..Locking bolt was 8620 heat treated.. that in excess of 55,000 psi.. While I've tried to destroy a Cole.. I've barely managed to destroy a barrel/mono-block.. only the first copy of the Cole was the original..everything after that is my "improved" version with big bore rifle shells in mind.. A very simple modification to the mono-block.. and receiver yielded a much stronger set up.. Totally worthless and unneeded in any shotgun chambering.. The weak link in any shotgun is the thin barrel..

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It's Olga. Not Holga. Get it right vill you?

Sven

16. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I think not, take a look at the pictures of the guns and the arm. That's where the risk is. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

17. joe kuhn

I think you should remove your first picture out of respect for Lance Cpl. Joshua Bernard.

Secondly, you're talking to the wrong person about people getting hurt in the war every day.

Thirdly, I am very, very careful about what I shoot now, after learning of problems with certain guns. Your terms 'rage' and 'moral crusade' are the wrong terms. The right term is simply 'avoidance'.

When you're able/willing to talk about specifics with regards to the CG situation, let us all know. I don't think you ever will. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.

Let me sum up the theme for this thread, since I've removed most of the content: We should know the pressure limits of the guns we are shooting including failure points.

Joe

18. joe kuhn

Sportshot,

Your use of Lance Cpl. Joshua Bernard's situation to support your ideas about CG are way out of line. Brand loyalty is one thing, what you are exhibiting is extreme, out of place and disrespectful. Disgusting also comes to mind. Check your emotions.

Joe

19. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

Nothing ever really disappears once to post it on the net; even if you delete it. For instance, if you know how to use Google and simply plug in the thread title it pops up in the original form. It's out there for the world to see. I think it's cute, too.

John

Date: Fri, Oct 23, 2009 - 06:46 AM ET
    Website Address:

Got a new shipment of 100 tubes in today and they looked different. Called the supplier and they gave me their mfr lot number and tech notes. Nothing different there, but the color of the tubes is different. The third unit from our assembly session went directly to the Burst-Ometer (BOM). Showed 91,300 psi at failure. This is up 1,200 psi from the first batch of tubes from this supplier. No problem. Production went back to work. Don't need a brittle test with higher pressure numbers.

You know that our charter says we'll produce a gun that handles double charges, but not migrating base wads, or a 20 ga shell in the 12 ga gun. Refer to our ULA (you-la). That's our User License Agreement. As you know, we don't sell guns, we sell you a license to use our guns. We retain ownership so that if we are compelled to recall one, there's no legal issue in doing so. If we feel you're doing something stupid, or there's a safety concern on either parties part, we'll recall a gun. Shoot a hull known for migrating base wads, or put a 20 ga shell in one of our 12 ga guns and you'll loose it. Hasn't happened yet.

Going back over the numbers we see:

1. SAAMI limit - 11,500 psi

2. Proof loads - 21,500 psi

3. Double charges - 34,000 psi

4. Our burst limits 90,000+ psi (mono block)

5. Win Model 21, 115,000 psi (single piece bbls)

We're very confident in our numbers. You should be focused on the target and not scared to shoot.

Next in our pressure testing we're going to investigate the migrating base wad, but we're having trouble finding someone to do the test. Might have to pick up our own pressure gun and do it ourselves. Depending upon the results, we will consider changing our ULA.

All for now,

Joe (the Kuhner) Kuhn

"It's a novel idea"

Email a link to this post - Email a link to this thread - Back to the Trap Discussion Web
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: The Kuhner Ideal Gun Company - Day 300
    Email:
    Date: Fri, Oct 23, 2009 - 07:00 AM ET
    Website Address:

Received a second call back from our tube supplier and their mfr team noted a third pass of cleaning fluid probably caused the difference in color. The usual is 2 cleaning dunks. I knew something was different!

Email a link to this post - Email a link to this thread - Back to the Trap Discussion Web
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: The Kuhner Ideal Gun Company - Day 300
    Email:
    Date: Fri, Oct 23, 2009 - 07:54 AM ET
    Website Address:

Active shooters will be getting a call next quarter to be sure they're following the terms of the ULA and to collect any complaints/problems. All we've heard so far is our extractor spring is too weak to extract reloaded hulls with steel bases. The steel in those hulls just doesn't shrink back up when you shoot, like brass. Resizing doesn't seem to help. Our reloading test group is working on this so we get just the right spring.

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Good job Johnbt. Joe, sportshot got you to finally admit what your adjenda really is although it was clear to anyone who has been following this.

Enough of this stupid crap Joe. You are making a mockery of ts.com and a fool of yourself.

You are on a mission that you don't know a damn thing about, someone has you carrying their water in a faulty bucket and you don't even know it. You are a computer nurd, yeh you have shot some trap and managed to make a shotgun look about as ridiculous as possible but other than that you have no I mean no idea what you are talking about.

You are taking some test results and a few figures from mainly one source who could possibly have his own adjenda and are trying to make some big wave in the firearms industry. The rest of us have been shooting guns since we got off the tit and very very few of us have had any problem. We don't need or want some jerky computer nurd trying to put some kind of safety standard on our guns. We don't need it, things are fine the way they are. Yes I know there is the terrible picture of the guys with a stitched up arm, I'm sure that is the worst thing you've ever seen in your sheltered computer life. I'm not happy to see it either but he was shooting reloads, when you shoot reloads you take all the risk on yourself, that's it period. All you are doing is giving people doubt who don't know better. You Joe are a Ralph Nader wanna be only your adjenda is even more worthless than Naders.

I'M GOING TO GO TO ALL CAPS JUST SO THIS IS CLEAR TO YOU JOE. IF YOU SHOOT RELOADS "YOU" TAKE ALL THE RESPONSIBILITY. THAT IS THE WAY IT IS AND SHOULD BE. NO COMPANY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD BE LIABLE FOR WHATEVER CONCOCTION ANY RELOADER WOULD PUT IN THEIR GUNS. OR FUEL IN THEIR CARS OR JUST NAME IT.

If you are afraid to shoot your infinity then sell it and take up something safer. Maybe this sport is just not for you, you will see that it is populated mostly by rugged individualist men and women the kind that built this country into what it once was, not whine babies.

With all due respect and nothing personal. :)

Google Barlows formula for the answer to your question but there will be a bunch more after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.