1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

The Kuhner 2012 - now with video

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Here's my gun for 2012. I upgraded the holosight to an EoTech 512. The old Bushnell wouldn't adjust vertically any longer.

Gun is a basic 30 inch barrel 870 with a fixed full choke having .035 constriction. The bead is removed.

Stock adapter is from Cavalry Arms -- SST-870 with the rail turned around and chopped off to get the scope closer to my eye. I did this for a larger field of view. Neighbor has a hobby mill that took some of the metal off to allow this.

Stock tube has two copper pipes filled with lead in it and the grip is filled with shot. Total weight is 13.5 pounds. Soaks up the recoil nicely. Most of the weight in on my right hand, which is always close to my body, so I don't find it to be too heavy.

The pitch is 6 degrees which is built into the AR stock. Pad hardware is home made and keeps the lead weight from falling out. Fore-end is special order from Remington. Length of pull is completely adjustable.

Trigger is a modified 870 trigger lightened up to 2.5 pounds of pull which you really don't notice because it hits the second joint (so it pulls harder). I considered thickening up the grip to pull my hand back and use the first joint or fingertip pad to pull the trigger, but I forgot about the idea. There's plenty of room for improvement here.

Several guys have tried to talk me out of this gun. It isn't going to happen. I tried shooting a standard rib gun last year and that lasted two weeks before my left eye took over trying to help out looking around the bbl. The only thing I will do is try an autoloader in a similar setup to see if I can lighten the weight for when I get old.

Approx costs: gun is $250, holosight is $400, stock adapter $250, stock $80, pad $40, fore-end and grip - I forget. Total is about $1100. It's really fun to shoot.

[​IMG]
  2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Any way you can get some video of this gun in action with you smoking these targets? I'd like to see it in action.
  3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

I would too. Video is a great teacher and self analysis tool. Phil Kiner's clinic showed that the camera does not lie. Maybe that's what I need to tune up my scores to the next level. Good idea. I'll see what I can come up with and share it with you.
  4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm curious with the 1 MOA dot and the 65 MOA circle around it where you are placing the clay at the moment of firing, and how the circle corresponds to the pattern?

Is that the stock assembly I sent you?
  5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Active Member

Nice!! Can Tron do an adjustable comb and maybe put 3/8 in toe kickout on it?
  6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Brian,

Yes, that is the stock you sent me. Thanks, it's working great.

The circle is approximately the size of the pattern at striking distance, although it has been a while since I measured it there. I normally just shoot it at 12 yards to check the poi once in a while.

In terms of firing, I shoot when the circle gets to the target. I can't really tell you if it's the first edge of the circle, the dot, or last edge of the circle. I don't really know because I'm looking where I should be looking. Hm. Interesting question.
  7. Brian in Oregon

I hope I don't cause you to miss now trying to figure it out!
  8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Heh.

One thing a fellow shooter noted is the clear view all the way down to the house. That helps you see the target early at very narrow angles and to the left when the bbl would normally be in the way. It's no wonder my left eye was trying to help out. After a certain age, I think less flexibility in the brain keeps the switch back to the eye on the gun from happening like it should.
  9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Based on a right hander I smoked last night, and happened to notice the bird/bead relationship consciously, it's the second edge of the circle. But as you know, everything is moving, lock time is involved, etc., so I'd rather say, 'when it gets to where I'm looking'.
  10. Brian in Oregon

Joe, what yardage are you hitting the clay at? In other words, what yardage line are you shooting from, and do you shoot normally or are you an early or late shooter?
  11. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

I saw Joe smoking clays Last night from 16 yards. He shoots FAST and I'd estimate no more than a total of 30 to 35 yards. I have also seen him at mid handicap smoke them at about the same distance from th trap house.

Larry
  12. Brian in Oregon

Well for arguments sake let's call it 33 yards then.

The ring is 65 MOA, so the trailing edge is roughly 33 MOA from the center dot.

That means at 100 yards the trailing edge would be roughly 33 inches. Since the distance being shot is one third of that, divide 33 inches by 3 and you get 11 inches.

That means Joe is putting a lead of 11 inches on the clay, though what we don't know is what station and what angle the clay was thrown at. If Joe can answer that it would be interesting to confirm a lead for that circumstance.
  13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I see where you were going now BIO. Interesting the way you ciphered that.
  14. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

It was on station 4 and the angle was what I would call a quarter angle about half way between a straight away and a hard right.
  15. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Still waiting to see the video of this gun in action.
  16. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

I'll see what kind of video my iPhone will capture the next time I see Joe in action - perhaps Saturday morning?

Larry
  17. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

That would be great Larry. See you then.
  18. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

wish you the best joe
  19. 635 G

635 G Active Member

Joe built a gun like his for me. I use it as a training tool. One the extra weight helps conditioning. And using the holosight is helping me to become a 2 eyed shooter.

Phil Berkowitz
  20. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Great ideas there Phil. And thanks for all the good will and help, fellas.

Here's a picture of Phil's gun. It's basically the same except the stock adapter is from a different mfr.

[​IMG]

Actually Phil, I built it for myself and then decided to sell it. You ended up being the buyer.

Joe
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.