1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Kuhner 2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Built this with an EoTech 512 & MesaTactical stock adapter & rail. It has my original 870 in it, but I'm waiting for another to come from CA.

I really need a band saw for trimming the adj butt pad hardware. A hack saw just doesn't cut it very well.

LOP 14 inches. Weight in stock tube. Balances nicely. Testing today.

[​IMG]

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Joe, when I first looked at the pic, I couldn't figure out what the shelf bracket was for on the top of the gun. :) new style rib?

shoot well and have fun....Rick

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thats a water meter, with a remove reading meter.

Phil Berkowitz

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Looks dangerous with the wire wrapped around it. That wire ever rubs thru your gonna have a nice charged water line.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Somehow, it's only fitting...

Ed

6. joe kuhn

Fear not my friends. The grey wire is low voltage for the water meter on the outside of the house. The other is a ground.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Wish that stock would work on an 1187.

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I didn't know what that contraption on the left was either. But I immediately knew I wanted one!

Danny

9. joe kuhn

This gun shoots just fine, glad you asked. Testing showed it works just as well if not better than the Kuhner 1 (BarraKuhna). Scope is identical in terms of size and what you see.

A Rem 58 has the same stock face as an 870, so that could be used for doubles.

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

That's the best job of grounding a reloader I've ever seen.

11. joe kuhn

One of the features of this gun is the weight in the stock tube which does a couple of things.

1. Keeps the visual feedback as close to the target as possible when firing. A light gun is going to move a lot and take away the "bird/bead" feedback to a larger degree. A heavier gun stays put and gives you a better view of the follow through with the target. Vision is all important with this cross fire correcting setup. That's what I'm billing this as.

2. Soaks up recoil.

3. Provides balance on the pistol grip for better control and supports an upper torso move to the target. There's alot of receiver ahead of the grip and the weight in the stock helps balance that out. Pivoting to the target is 'reinforced' instead of arm swinging.

Joe

12. joe kuhn

Here's a picture of some of the pieces.

[​IMG]

1. I filed the lip off the front of the sliding stock. Don't know why it was there, but it bumps you in the lip, so it had to go. Also, there's a hole in the top of the sliding stock that's smaller than a dime. The edge of that had to go too. Sandpaper did the job. Sanded the side of the stock that goes up against the cheek to cut down on the abrasion.

2. The stock wrench is from DPMS and is a great tool. The teeth are a little too big for my other stock, so be careful. This stock is from DPMS so the tool works just fine.

3. The rail didn't lay perfectly flat where it fastens to the stock adapter above the pistol grip. I could see a little light between there so I used a small flat file to trim it up and put a few drops of blue lock tight on the surfaces and one drop on each of the two screws. We do not want that to come loose and mess up the wind-age.

4. Weight options are shown. Long copper tube is heavier than the long steel bar. Shorter copper tube is optional and can be removed easily. Poured just for this gun. What isn't shown is the washers I put into the stock adapter and the garden hose washers at each end of the long piece.

5. You can see the lock nuts on the screws for the adj butt pad hardware. Drilled and chamfered a couple of holes on each side and used the hole on the bottom for the sling bracket. Hack sawed the corners off the adapter and fit with my grinder. Cleaned up the grinder with a dressing tool. Absolutely required with the soft aluminum.

6. A little tape on the grip and took the bead off. Also took the hood off the EoTech with a T15 torx screw driver. Don't need that thing getting in the way of your vision.

[​IMG]

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Joe,

I mounted the EoTech 512 on a K-80 Unsingle barrel tonight. I used a B Square 3/8" rib mount and had Joe Bowels mill it to fit the K-80 rib.

I hope to shoot it Saturday and will report on how it works and add some pictures for anyone who may be interested. The stock will need to be tweaked to get the fit right; but I am not doing that for the first test.

Don Verna

14. joe kuhn

Nice. Look forward to your pictures and test results.

Here's another modification I did to the stock tube on the left for this new gun. This allows the sliding stock to come all the way off by just pressing the lever normally used to adjust the length. The stop on the right has to be hurdled by pulling on the lever with one hand and holding the gun with the other. It's a pain. No more.

[​IMG]

15. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Dammit Don! It's B O W L E S, not Bowels or Boles, like BGC seems to think I should like to be called.

Sheesh.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You didn't need to grind that off to have the sliding stock come off the back. The sliding stock would have came right off if you just would have pulled the lever the other way. Instead of squeezing the lever to adjust to the next hole, all you do is lift the lever to remove the stock. Too late now though......

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Yah, I would have Tron Bolwelzicowski work on it.

18. joe kuhn

grntitan,

I don't like doing it that way. This way I can take it off and drop the smaller weight into my shooting bag, put it back on and be ready to go between stations if I want.

19. joe kuhn

Don,

Will you be having Joe Bowls do the stock work too?

Joe

20. joe kuhn

Shooting a trap gun with optics will make you flinch?

I don't flinch. What are you trying to say?

I have learned to not be talked out of what works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.