1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The king has spoken NHRA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by motordoctor, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Just another thought from someone that really knows. Is he right. Time will tell.

Drag racing icon John Force said Thursday that, for now, he supports the unprecedented step taken by the NHRA on Wednesday when it announced that starting with next week’s Mopar Mile-High Nationals at Denver, Colo., Top Fuel and Funny Car races at least temporarily will be contested to 1,000 feet instead of to the traditional 1,320 feet.

“As a PRO member, I support the NHRA decision, for now,” Force said. “(Shortening the race course) was one of several options they considered but it’s one of the few things that could be done immediately to reduce speeds (in the aftermath of the qualifying accident two weeks ago that claimed the life of Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta).”

Force, a 14-time series champion who is battling back from injuries suffered last September in a crash of his own at Dallas, Texas, and who still is dealing with the death of teammate and protégé Eric Medlen in a testing accident in March, 2007, refused further comment but said he would keep an open mind with regard to long-term safety solutions.

The 126-time tour winner, who previously had declined to speculate on issues pertaining to the Kalitta incident while the investigation remained active, restated his position Thursday, emphasizing that such conversation is counterproductive, a lesson he learned in the aftermath of Medlen’s crash at Gainesville, Fla..

The NHRA, which has lost three of its most prominent drivers in separate incidents over the last three years, identified several areas on which it is focusing its attention in the wake of the Kalitta crash: (1) ways to minimize catastrophic engine failures; (2) different parachute mounting techniques; (3) brake efficiency; (4) new methods of stopping runaway vehicles beyond the finish line; and (5) permanent means of further reducing speeds.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think your on the wrong site. Drag racing is an old worn out sport.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

shot410ga not as old and worn out as some of the people that post on this site.

Bob Lawless

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

shot410ga, have you attended a drag race recently? People pay big bucks to see the Pros and the stands are full. Just like the shotgun sports. JRM

5. motordoctor

actually i follow robert hight as he is a personal friend and a trapshooter

motordoc

6. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

It seems a little queer to me to turn 1/4th mile drag racing into a weenie 1,000 feet. Why not 20 feet?

7. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Left Lane: Mike Neff Runs 4.909/309.42, Now #12
    No Prior Run

Right Lane: Gary Scelzi Runs 4.939/306.95, Now #15
    No Prior Run

Mike Neff's incremental times: 60ft-0.906 sec., 330ft-2.359, 660ft-3.367/253.75mph, 1,000ft-4.191

Gary Scelzi's incremental times: 60ft-0.908 sec., 330ft-2.371, 660ft-3.378/253.71mph, 1,000ft-4.215

Here are some times and speeds I just got off NHRA site. They did not give a MPH at 1000ft but with only 57 MPH differance between 660ft and final speed. Shaving .79 seconds off the distance can't make that much differance and adding 360 ft to shut down in my opinion won't make a big differance either.

Add to that this is a competative sport, and a gear ratio change along with the ability to tune the car to do what you want at any point on the run, the speeds will be right back to the same numbers.

If you want to get in and race, let them race as fast as they want.

JMHO.

Scott

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why not just go metric and make it 300 meters? And measure the speed in kilometers per hour? If they're gunna go all sissy, go all the way. In for a penny, in for a pound.

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Quote "It seems a little queer to me to turn 1/4th mile drag racing into a weenie 1,000 feet. Why not 20 feet? " As I heard it, the problem is older tracks that have shorter shutdown areas. The were built when 150 mph was big speed. Now we are over 300 mph and need more room. Since land is an issue, a shorter track is the easier fix .... or so some say. Me? I've got no dog is this fight.

10. motordoctor

some of the tracks are really short in the shut down area.Pomona happens to be one and even at 155 in a super comp dragster it got real short real quick. They cannot make the track longer because of land restrictions like roads and things. It does give the driver an extra 320 feet to react and hopefully stop. 1/8 mile is too short and if the people in the stands did not know they were going 1000 feet instead of 1320 they would never know or see the difference. They could have done this without telling anyone and we would still think and observe them really going fast.

11. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I love to watch Drag Racing as much as i like to shoot !!!

12. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

i don't care how far they go as long as Ashley is there

13. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Now there is a tough call regarding t-shirts.

Ashley's,, or trap shooter Robert Hight's??

Na,,no contest. Get an Ashley t-shirt, Jeff.

14. motordoctor

Jeff--YOU BROKE MY MONITOR

15. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Ah, reminds me of the days when we used to drive to Chandler and get really excited to watch the 'FX' class and the original 'Lil Red Wagon' -- let's see, that was 1965, give or take a year. Still enjoy the Sunday night finals on TV. Took wife to Terre Haute last Saturday and could hardly go into the store because of the engine roar and tire aroma trickling east across 3rd Street in Gander Mountain parking lot.

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

They could all go faster if they'd use 7-1/2's instead of 8's.

Curt

17. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

That Asheley is one hot lady!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Steve, your post brought back memories of the York U.S. 30 Dragway at the Thomasville, PA airport about 30 miles from here. I competed there for many years in the SS/SP, D/S and E/S classes and managed a track championship one year. Until near the end at York, pit pass holders could wander around the staging area and get their sinuses opened by a nitro-burning funny car or rail's throttle being blipped. These days, I find the methanol fumes from a 410 sprint car much more aromatic.

I think higher trap speeds were a part of the decision to return York to being just an airport as the end of the runway was a six-foot embankment atop which was route 30.

Ed

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The proposed fix is nothing more than a bandage on a fresh wound due to the loss of another professional driver (Scott Kalitta) ... The NHRA has had a record number of deaths in the last couple of years in the Pro ranks and what ever changes are implimented will be nulified in a short time once the Crew Chiefs get a handle on the changes ... They went to 85% Nitro to slow them down and in two weeks that was negated and no longer worked as expected ... NHRA is Drag Racing and thats a fast sport so to slow it down they might as well make it like the rounders and make the tracks all ovals ... 1000 feet out and the driver unable to hit the shut off and chutes gives him or her another 320 foot to build up speed for when they run off of the end of the track ... Thats another way to look at it, I guess ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. 682LINY

682LINY Member

averaged,,,I seem to remember from my youth,,,,S/S cars running 4 wide at york,,,,Jenkins was only a tuner back than,,,and with a dodge no less,,,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.