1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The king acts again....

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by bigdogtx, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Spending money we don't have,,,,,wonder how much campaign money is connected this time.....

Navy, Agriculture Departments to Purchase Biofuels For Fleets The departments of Agriculture and the Navy announced plans Monday to buy 450,000 gallons of non-food biofuels -- at a cost of $16 per gallon -- in what will be the largest federal purchase of biofuels in U.S. history. The purchase is being authorized by an executive order under the Obama administration's "we can't wait" campaign. Administration officials gave no indication why they're not going through Congress, instead using a program that was established to promote rapid job growth by bypassing congressional debate. Two companies will participate in the program -- Louisiana-based Dynamic Fuels, a joint venture of Tyson foods and Syntroleum Corp, which makes biofuel from used cooking oil; and California based Solazyme, which makes fuel from algae. Administration officials say the aim is to promote the use of biofuels, to reduce dependence on unstable sources of foreign oil and reduce budget shocks from oil price hikes. The fuel will power planes and the surface ships of the "Great Green Fleet Carrier Strike Force" in summer 2012 exercises off Hawaii. The carrier itself is nuclear-powered. Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said the Navy's led the way in power innovation -- from sail to coal, coal to diesel, diesel to nuclear, and now to biofuel. Aircraft and ships will use a 50-50 blend of biofuel and conventional fuel. The demonstration project is aimed at commercial aviation as well as the Defense Department. Commercial aviation uses 12 billion to 13 billion gallons of fuel a year and officials say biofuel blends or substitutes would be more easily distributed through 30 to 40 airports than trying to distribute it through auto gas stations to offset gasoline use by drivers.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...ls-for-fleets/

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    $16 a gallon is nothing short of raping the taxpayers.

3. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

TYSON FOODS...!!!
    Well, I'll be darned. Does anyone else remember the sweetheart connection between Tyson and Clinton Inc...????
    The "Corruptocracy" of the Democrat Party seems to have NO LIMIT or SHAME.

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Regarding the $16 per gallon, you might look into how much JP5 or JP8 costs today. I think you will find that price is pretty good.

5. Avaldes

PS- not condoning or condemning, just pointing out something that I know a little about.

6. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Aviation fuels are not nearly $16/gal currently. Plus no taxes for the military. One would suspect fuel oil for surface ships to be even less than road diesel, and again no taxes. What am I missing?

K

7. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Under Bush I believe, he started a program for the military to make its own fuel out of some stuff. Air craft were testing it with great results and he stated it was less than half the price of regular fuel. What happened to it?

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

How Much Does a Gallon of Jet Fuel Cost

Source The National Average price for a gallon of gasoline is $ 3.307 as of December 2, 2011.

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Dec.02 price of jet fuel $3.00 per gal. but they can make it for $16 a gal.

10. Avaldes

It is interesting how the price of fuel changes depending on where it is located. Here is a report from 2007 that shows the fuel costs in Iraq. JP5 would be the fuel of choice for the Navy and JP8 would be the fuel of choice for the Army/USAF.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RS22923.pdf

The prices were quite low in Iraq. I did see a number in there as high as $5/gallon. It would be interesting to see the costs to date and the costs in Afganistan. Transportation costs are very high in a war zone.

It is intersting because I know how much we pay the Army for JP8 at work on a daily basis and like I said, the $16/gallon number isn't that far off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.