1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Insidious Head Lift

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I've been in a slump lately (not that anyone is overly concerned). It seemed to start after the Grand, where I shot the best of my short-lived career. I wrote-off the slump feeling it was just a vacillation, that I know we all go through, instead of looking at root causes. This past weekend however I got tired of the crappy scores and decided to do something about it by concentrating on basics one at a time. Step one, keep the head down.

As soon as I told myself to keep the "wood on the wood" all the way through the shot, I broke them all with only one exception. In the past I've felt that lifting your head was the stated cause of too many misses from the sideline quarterbacks.

I'm a believer now--just a slight lift or change in cheek pressure makes a big difference... at least for me. Hopefully I'm back on track.

Guy, MD

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Lots of luck, Guy...

I can tell myself to keep my head down while I'm preparing to call for the target, and after the shot, I find I lifted it anyway. If I can remember to keep my head on the stock, I'll probably stop the gun. If I can remember to keep my head down and keep the gun moving, Ill probably look at the back of the bird instead of the front. It never ends!!

Mike

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Simple solution!

Borrow some treble hooks from Tron, attach some line, and put them in your shorts. Next tie the other end to your ear, it will take only one head lift to cure you!

4. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Simple solution!

Borrow some treble hooks from Tron, attach some line, and put them in your shorts. Next tie the other end to your ear, it will take only one head lift to cure you!"</blockquote>

I've got some 2-inch wide industrial strentgh double sided adhesive that should work better between the cheek and the stock. They'll be nothing to stretch and it will be easier to find something to anchor it to.

Mike

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Deductive reasoning resulting in a solution to a perceived problem. How refreshing.

6. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Glad to hear it. I don`t miss because I lift my head, I lift my head because I think I`m GOING to miss!! Which is a self fulfilling prophecy. I now shoot a 100% high pattern, no reason to lift my head to see the bird. Take my time and it works very well. Also, I usually break my targets; I know I am keeping my head on the stock when the bird not only breaks but evaporates in smoke. All good.

7. JOND

JOND TS Member

Easy solution !! Shoot with a buddy. Put a 20 dollar bill between your cheek and the stock. Shoot. If the bill falls on the ground,your buddy gets to keep it !! Should be an inexpensive lesson. JOND

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Get your squad mates' permission to swing to every target thrown - with an empty gun, of course when it's not your turn to shoot.

If you raise your head when following squad mates' targets, you would be doing to avoid the effects of recoil. It would be a flinch. If you raise your head on ALL targets, the cause is probably due to a poorly fitting stock or a low gun mount.

Rollin

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

10. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I was having a similar issue. After missing 3 weeks of practice I couldn't hit much, The following week I started off the first round shooting crappy again. I think because I was pissed at my shooting I pushed my cheek into the stock REALLY firm and I started dusting each and every bird. I shot the best two rounds of my short trap shooting career. It was the first time I felt like I couldn't miss. Can't wait until next time to see if it still works.

Hawk,

11. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Guy --- same thing here and this morning was latest. have been shooting good recently by keeping head down. shot two rounds this morning. first round, I didn't concentrate on keeping head down. missed five. second round, really concentrated and hit 24. Guy from Baton Rouge.

12. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Based on experience, the most common reason for head-raising is the head and neck tilting forward to place the cheek on the comb. The two most common reasons for this is a low gun mount or the stock's having too little drop at the heel, e.g. it doesn't fit.

A second cause is a comb that is too low. The cheekbone is not snugly on the comb during setup and lowers to block the eye's vision of the target during swings. The head must then be raised to see the target and usually rises too far causing the shot to go high.

Rollin

13. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

It's fairly simple to keep your head down. Just watch the bird break over the barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

problem lifting head while shooting

what are the causes of head lifting when trapshooting