1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The infamous AA base wad...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I hate to add to this topic, but I just sliced a "new style" empty AA open and the base wad just fell out in my hand. Not attached in any way. I can see where it could migrate forward and the next powder load migrate behind it. I really thought this wad would be hard to remove, but it wasn't.
    Bruce

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Well, Bruce I guess you're convinced. Question is, will you be reloading new style AA's ?

Lou

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Well, I just sliced a "new style" AA hull open (lengthwise) and I couldn't pull out even a small portion of the base wad with needle nose pliers. This hull has been reloaded several times already.

Easystreet

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

We need proof. Do you have a video? Or pictures? HMB

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

capvan&Easystreet, it might be interesting to know the diameters of each of the chambers these hulls were first fired in? Hap

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ajax, lookie at yer PMs. Hap

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

The shell I cut apart was new, once-fired. Newly purchased as well. Friend asked to use my gun and he brought the shells, which he had just purchased.

I would think the heat from several loads might "fuse" the base wad in place.

Getting scary, but fortunately I've got a LOT of the old-style to use up.

Bruce

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

It's a shame that Winchester doesn't go back to the old & trusted design. I must admit, I've seen the base wad protrude from the case held only by the crimp on the new type of case. For that reason I won't shoot these AA's. Can't have base wads creating a distraction when I shoot as I don't look down the barrel after each shot. I know Winchester went to this design to cut cost but in the long run the shooters will decide. Darrell

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

For a hull that you can now get for free, its a no brainer you can reload Remington GC which are basically free & safe. Why take a chance. Hulls are the cheapest item in the reloading equation. Not just AA but no two piece hulls anytime. Be safe, your life & your fellow shooters lives are worth more than 4 cents & your gun is definetly worth more also. Tradition and routine are hard things to break. Until proven otherwise no 2 piece hulls in any of my guns, even new ones.

Lou

11. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I agree that Remingtons be they the STS or Gun Clubs are the way to go_One piece construction and no ?s whatsoever.The old style AA was the best hull ever produced and I suspect that Olin knows they made a mistake by changing it.I don't know the stats but I would bet people that buy premium shells are buying more Rems than AA,especially the people that intend to reload.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
    Darr

12. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

I wonder what winchester quality dept. has to say about all this ??

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

This usually happens when the number crunchers are in charge &quality control & engineering play second fiddle.

Lou

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

My question is with all the questions raised in recent years about Winchester AA's why haven't they made any kind of comment of any kind?????????

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I think Winchester is just concerned with the first shot from their ammo. After that their not liable. Somebody once said that Winchester, Remington, and Federal shotgun target ammo was only 5% of their business.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have tried several different ways several times to get the base wad out of once fired AA hulls. I can't find a way to do it. Can somebody give me some help?

Pat Ireland

17. capvan

capvan Active Member

Hi Pat,
    I just ran the shell thru my bandsaw, sawed almost to the primer. Spread the shell apart and the base wad fell into my hand. I could send you a picture if I had your email address. Shows the hull and the pristine base wad.
    Bruce
    KB1IIX@ARRL.net

18. capvan

capvan Active Member

I agree. However, the "reloadability" of shells is what drives shooters to buying one brand of shell over another. I would think they would pay attention to this factor.

Bruce

19. Elk guide

Elk guide TS Member

IF winchester commented on these shells they would be admitting there is a problem and open up lawsuits. Big corps. dont comment on little stuff for this reason.

I think its vacum in the the case/bore with the wad and shot going out at such speed and the heat sealing the wad against the bore it sucks the base wad right out. Porting would stop this. Think about it.
    Fish on!

20. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Another first-hand experience - a couple of years ago, after the AA base wad problem was first being discussed, I had a couple of the new AA hulls with loose base wads in them...discovered reloading once-fired hulls. Pitched all new AAs and went to Remington STS and/or Gun Clubs exclusively. Never regretted doing so...not worth the uncertainty. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.