1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The illusive "Secret" to Trap Shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blade819, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

The illusive

I read an interesting thread which eluded to "the secret" of trapshooting. Here's my thought. I liken Trap Shooting to Golf. Having moved to North Georgia from Orlando where I golfed 1 1/2 times per week for 25 years and now only 6 times in the last 4 years while picking up traphooting about 2 years ago, I can't help but reognize the many parallels of both sports. After consuming all the books, videos and advise, (some solicited some unsolicted) on our great sport, I am convinced that if there is any secret in trapshooting, it would be to know and understand the basic fundamentals and mechanics in particular gun fitting. In doing that, you should be able to detect, analyze and correct any imperfections. Last summer I watched KO at the Ohio State, while shooting in a handicap, show "some" emotion because he wasn't powdering. In a matter of 2 or 3 more birds it seemed he corrected to the point of satisfaction. I assume that all "big dog" shooters do the same. While I'm still on my quest for perfection, I'll continue to digest all the information that I can including this forum and being a "newbie" appreciate all the good information I can get on this forum. Thanks and CU at th Dixie.

2. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

The illusive

Jerry. I'll be pulling in about 1pm on Friday. Was unaware tht Bob had a 'problem" hope no guns were stolen. Bob's a great guy and I'll certainly try to stop by Fri afternoon to say hey and pass along "the secret".

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

The illusive

The secret to trapshooting is "don't miss".

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The illusive

As Lee Davidson the Winchester Pro said to me Keep Your Head Down and Break the Little SOBs this is a true story, I even put it on my endless tape player while shooting.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

The illusive

From Brad Dysinger in answer to a question asked of him at the Illinois State Shoot one time after breaking a 98 in the handicap: "Brad is there formula or secret for breaking a 98 in handicap?" "Nope, just don't ever miss more than two......"

6. porky

porky TS Member

The illusive

I think that you must start with a little natural ability, hand to eye co-ordination. Next, you need the desire to win constantly. Next, you need the desire to practice to get better to always win, not just shoot practice. Next, it doesn't hurt if you shoot with good equipment, at least something that fits you. Next, you need to like competition and be able to shut everything else out during the competition. Recognize your shooting style and weaknesses and accept them. Last, but not least, have the financial backing to support your shooting habit.

7. nipper

nipper TS Member

The illusive

The secret is nickel plated shot

Bill

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The illusive

Ya gotta be a goot chot.

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

The illusive

Find a gun that fits you. Don't make the game overly complicated by analyzing everything.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The illusive

Sitting here eating my smoked salmon I hafta agree with Jim! Thank you Jim!

I think the biggest secret to successful shooting lies between yer horns! Unlocking a closed mind and letting in things you only thought you knew all about helps a lot also? Hap

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The illusive

As a gunfitter and stockmaker I appreciate all of the coments about gunfit an equiptment setup. The truth is unless you are a 98+% shooter the problem probably isn't gunfit. Shooting is a visual sport and performance relys 100%
    on seeing the targets properly. I teach most of my customers how to do this and most of them increase their averages by considerably more than a gunfit alone. It's imposible to just tell you to look at targets. Get lessons. There are several great Instructors out there. Several of them are customers of mine; call me and I'll recomend one available in your area. Joe Goldberg 609 231-6187

12. happy

happy Member

The illusive

Redlin medication and any other meds used in AADS. It's used in Pro poker touneys to keep mental focusfor long periods of time. Drug test manditory at big shoots?

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The illusive

No! But they should be. When I was in college I shot Olympic Archery and at that time I would have said that a percentage of the all american archers shot altered in order to increase performance. I personally know several who lost their all american positions for smoking on the line of the collegent nationals. Fortunatly if a drug mellows you and allows focus it probably decreases synaptic response time and Trap Shooting is a reaction sport. Joe Goldberg

14. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The illusive

There really isn't just one absolute secret, but there are lots of ways to improve your shooting. I have a few theories of my own, but can't print them here. Leo has alot more good ideas. That is one of the focus points of his clinics...he tries to teach you "WHY" he does the things he does, the "HOW" can vary greatly from shooter to shooter.He will be holding clinics at San Diego and Tucson in Feb and at the Silver Dollar in March.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gunfitting tucson

illusive shooting target

secret to great trap shooting

secret to shooting trap

secrets to good trapshooting

secrets trapshooting