1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The "I Shoot Doubles with a Pump" Thread

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RayReys, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayReys

RayReys Member

Thought this might be a cool thread...just wondering who primarily shoots doubles with a good 'ol pump gun and what do you use...

Finally tried Doubles last fall, and I've only shot doubles 8 times so far - five of those in club shoots. Have used a semi a couple of times and an O/U once, but am loving the pump gun - it's nice being a bit different, and it's downright fun! Currently running a new to me late 70s BPS with a 28" fixed mod and MC stock- have used it twice so far, but with mediocre results. My highest score (45/50) has been with a borrowed 870TB (2nd round got stuck in the mag tube of my SX1 after the first shot), and am determined to do it again, or surpass that with the BPS.

Best tip I got from a veteran shooter was not to get into rushing the 2nd shot, which I tend to do once I hear others shooting quickly

2. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

The

Ronnie McKnight (RIP) shot doubles with a MOD12 back in the day....

FRedmon

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The

Best I ever saw was Wisconsin's Vic Rienders. Never saw Rudy Etchen shoot the dubs but some say he was the best with a pump.

The next best I've seen is Mike Jordan with his 870.

4. roger stoddard

roger stoddard TS Member

The

I enjoy doubles with my 870. Loading the magazine occupys the mind and as we all know, the less brain activity the better when trying for good scores. I always enjoy meeting someone else shooting doubles with their pump at registered shoots, you can't help but secretly cheer for them and hope they get a great score. Roger

5. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

The

Back in 1973 when I bought my first mod 12 Trap gun, I shot some doubles with it. I didn't do so good so went to the o/u. Couldn't use a pump now if I wanted to since I shoot a release. Larry Evans

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The

Larry,<br>
    You can use a pump with a release. I have an 870 with a release in it.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The

I have shot doubles with a Model 12, not registered but just for fun ... It takes a little getting used to, but you can make it happen with practice ... WPT .. (YAC) ...

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The

You have to do something between shots, so you might as well load the next shell.

Over the last two years I've been carrying a 46-47/50 average (league) with my 870. I shoot 7/8 oz for the first shot and 1 oz for the second. I can't tell you when the last time I missed the first bird. I still catch the second bird on the rise.

ss

9. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

The

I am going to start using my 870buddy's this year. Same gun I shoot 16s and caps. I put a high rib and adjustable comb on field gun. The only problem I have is remembering to wait till I get on the second bird before I shot. Can and have shot as fast as most people with autos. If you use a pump enough you don't even have to think about it.

Luke Kalina

10. wm rike

wm rike Member

The

I shoot a good number of practice doubles with a M12, but not registered.

If you switch to an o/u right after a few rounds with the pump gun, everything seems to be happening in slow motion - the birds just hang there forever.

11. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The

Never shot a Mod 12 at doubles - but an old friend did and he maintained he could hold the trigger back after the first shot and the second shot would fire when he closed the action. He broke respectable scores.

Is this true?

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

The

Well Yes it's true, but dangerous, some liked that feature (or lack of) and some didn't. But yes you can hold the trigger and they will slam fire. Ross Puls

13. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

The

Big Heap,

It is true.

The old model 12 could be "slam fired"

Just hold the trigger back and and eject the fired shell and slam the forend closed.

Never worked very well for me.

ed.

14. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

The

Yes, that is true with a MOD 12

Henry

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The

I could shoot Doubles with a pump gun until my 40th birthday and then middle age caught up with me and I couldn't pump the thing anymore. At 72 years of age I need a Double Release trigger. I watched the late Floyd Nattrass shoot Doubles with a release on his Model 12. I believe that a Model 12 will slam fire only if it is out of time.

16. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

The

I don't believe doubles can be any more fun than when you shoot it with a pump. My early 70's Browning pump (BPS) fixed bore full choke turns them inside out. The delay between shots in pumping gives you even more perspective on the second target. Shear joy.

Primedust

17. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

The

Rastoff,

Just curious, do you shoot a single or double release in your pump gun? This is a good thread.

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

18. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

The

Along time ago I asked a friend of mind why he used a 870 to shot doubles. I know he could afford to buy a Auto or O/U but his answer was "Shooting doubles with a pump gave him something to do between shots". I tried a pump at one time but could get use to having to work the action between shots. NOw its an O/U for me.

19. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The

The late Floyd Nattrass would set the release trigger on his Model 12, shoot the first shot, pump the gun, set the release trigger for the 2nd shot and then shoot the 2nd shot. I believe he placed in some sort of International Trap competition in the 60's doing exactly that.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The

Pre 64 Model 12's will slam fire, the later Model Y' Models will not due to regulations being changed ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.