1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The hottest and coldest temp you ever shot in

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 26, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    What was the hottest and coldest temperature you ever shot trap in? I shot in 105 degree temps with humidly close to 90. It felt like hell on Earth.

I also attempted to shoot in -25 below zero weather, wind chill at -80 below zero but the trap machines froze up and the gun club did not want any of the trap help to get frost bite so they closed. I shot at -20 and there was little to no wind and that was more comfortable shooting than at 105 degrees with high humidity.

What were your weather extremes that you actually shot in?

Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

All I remember about this shoot was, ah, well heck, I remember we shot it but that was a long time ago.

3. 3357

3357 Member

-17 below zero, Grayling, Michigan 2011 Winter League
    +102 above zero, The 2009 Grand at Sparta Illinois

4. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

101 and -18. Good ol Ohio

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I was at Sparta when the temp was a 107 a few years back. I didn't think it could get that hot in the Midwest. But the hottest I ever felt shooting was at the Indiana State shoot sometime in the mid 1990s. That was one miserable week.

The coldest shooting trap - maybe -5. Now if you asked about shooting ducks you would have to take the temp down some more. Duck hunting is why I started to shoot trap. I just had to find something better to do. LOL

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    15 degrees while coyoting and 100 degrees while varminting. Or more like giving up on varminting, since the critters all took a dive to stay cool.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

-70 degrees with wind chill in Sioux Falls 1995. 118 degrees at Ben Avery in Phoenix in 2000

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

106 at Buffalo Creek in Ben Wheeler TX...12 above zero with a 22-27mph wind in the face at Kent Co in Chestertown Md..the windchill was good for a brain freeze headache within 5 minutes out on the line..thankfully there were gigantic hot pots of delicious venison chili and Ham and Bean soup at the ready upon coming back in the clubhouse

9. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Hottest was the year at Sparta with the 110 plus heat, coldest was super bowl shoot at LV gun club, -35 wind chill. Steve Wolf.

10. Dodgers28

Dodgers28 Member

I was also at that Super Bowl shoot at Lakeview - I have never been so cold, hottest - Las Vegas, about 105

Dodger Boy

11. senior smoke

Steve and Dodger boy:
    I forget what year it was but my 105 degrees shooting trap was years ago during the Waukesha state shoot. Because I'm a fat a--, I thought I was going to die.

I would rather shoot in below zero with out any wind compared to 100+ temps with high humidity. I can not take the heat. I once shot in Utah with temps around 100 but humidity was only 9 percent and it felt good.

Either of you know when Loreen starts her winter events this year?
    Steve

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

115 degrees above zero in Kingsburg, Calif. for a State Shoot in the early 2000's. Got in my car and drove home after a day's shooting and the temperature gauge in the car didn't move until past Bakersfield. Should have been awarded a patch. Fred

13. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

But Fred, that was a dry heat:)

14. senior smoke

Fred:
    Sounds brutal. Here in Wisconsin when our state shoot was 105 we had a few older shooters go down.
    Steve

15. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Fred, I was there in Kingsburg, CA in 2003. It was every bit of 115. I had to sit down midway in an event it was so hot. That was the hottest weather I've ever shot in. It was brutal.

Hit 'em hard,

John

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

This summer produced about two solid weeks of 100+ degree temps with several record setting days in my town. As luck would have it we had a one day 300 bird PITA shoot right in the middle of the heat wave. The peak temp on that day was 109F and it was hot.

We have several good shade structures and supply ice cold bottled water just off the line but even so the heat took its toll. A couple of shooters had to withdraw from early heat stroke symptoms. They weren't overweight guys either.

I don't remember shooting in any real cold weather, a few rounds of practice in -5F wasn't too bad.

17. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

I cant honestly remember how cold it was but I remember when we shot for Childrens Hospital benefit shoot, was back in the early 70s at the Pony Farm Club, couldn't see anything. There was rain and snow and fog, all at the same time. We shot and were blasting holes in the fog, and to top it all off we shot WHITE birds! It was for a great cause but we were all SOAKED by about 5 birds into the first squad. Good fire in the club house and lots of good food by the club members.

18. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I shot on the record high days in Sparta back in '07 when it was 103 and 104 for the highs on the Tuesday and Wednesday but both days had a breeze. The hottest that it ever felt to me at a shoot was the Sunday before which would have been Aug 12th. That day was cloudless and no breeze, dead still. With no air moving the sweat did not evaporate to help cool you, it just poured. It was almost impossible to drink enough water. Miserable hot day and there were dozens of shooters and trap help who had to have medical attention. They dropped like flies starting about 2 p.m.

For 15 years I worked in warehouse freezer that was set at 4 below every day. I do not shoot when it is cold out.

19. senior smoke

Wolfram:
    There is no way I could have shot in those temperatures even in my prime.
    Steve

RLC323:
    Working in a freezer has to be extremely difficult?
    Steve

20. warren

warren Member

I shot in that same shoot Wolfram did and it was hot I was also at that Kingsburg shoot there the humidity is higher than in Nevada and it isn't worth shooting when it's that bad. I grew up 30 miles south of Kingsburg so I know all about that heat.

warren