1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Holy Grail of trap shooting mistakes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hinkton, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hinkton

Hinkton TS Member

I droped my 100 target for a 99. Everthing i do now is a plus. It would not have been my first hundred,but it.s the worst thing you can do score wise. How many of you have done the same thing? THANKS HANK

2. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

If it makes you feel better I have dropped the first one then ran the rest and it would have been my first 100. Ran all of them the next week.

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

What did you do to make the trap gods urinate on you like that?

4. neb

neb TS Member

if you shoot long enough you will miss all of them.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Havent' gotten there yet. I dropped the last one a couple of times before I got my first 25 straight, though. I've gotten a 99, but the one I dropped was in the first box.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stop thinking about the ones you have missed. You should be thinking about the ones you hit. HMB

7. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I have never dropped my last target (yet).
    I have dropped my first and then ran the rest.
    Sure takes the pressure off.

They say after your first hundred the rest are easy.

Sure has not been this way in my case.Had to fight for everyone.

Bo

8. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

LOL This brought back bad memories. I have done that on multiple occasions. I also dropped the last bird for a 199. If you don't think that won't p@#$ off the Pope , your wrong.LOL Keep shooting and you will do it again. LOL I know a bunch of my buddies have done it also. We just laugh at our dumba$$es and keep on going. It's gonna happen any time you raise your head to watch that last bird break.

Jimmy

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

When you miss all you do is start a new Long run. Jeff

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I've done it twice on the 100 bird events...and once in a 200 bird event I dropped the 100th target and ended up with a 199....

I've recovered (with alot of therapy) and continue to have fun...

Curt

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Jeff is 110% correct...it makes no difference how many targets you have broken or missed before; breaking each individual target is the objective and the most important thing to focus on. Your long string of successfully broken targets then becomes a distraction and breaks your focus on the all-important next shot. Actually, I have always thought that it is a bigger achievement to run 99 after missing the first target than missing the 100th target...this underscores the need to keep focusing on the next target being taken. Best Regards, Ed

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Play this game long enough and you will accomplish most of the errors that you ever hear of. Many of the All Americans have done exactly what you speak of...

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Play this game long enough and you will accomplish most of the errors that you ever hear of. Many of the All Americans have done exactly what you speak of...

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I remember my 1st 100 straight!

I had run so many 99s that year, my son had a "99 Club" gat embroidered for me. That day I had a 95 going to my last post and I was determined to get my 1st 100. On that last post, I was sweating so bad, that I was fogging up my shooting glasss... I wound up taking them off for my last 3 birds!

Just like your 1st 25, the 1st 100 is the hardest....after that it gets a lot easier.

15. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

200 bird 16 yard event , missed one early in first 100 , ran 99 in second 100 , dumped the 200 th. 199 made shootoff for AA. next day handicap 27 yd. ran first first 74 , dumped 75 th , dumped the 78 th and the 99 th and 100 th. felt like a dummy after that. have since got over it.

16. rivers001

rivers001 TS Member

Haven't ran my first 100 yet. Two weeks ago I was mighty close though. Ran first 75 and missed the 76th target. Ran the last 24 after that. I guess I joined the "99 club"

17. walman16

walman16 TS Member

I always said if I did that, I would get a license plate that said "99STR8"!

18. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I used to play a lot of golf and after a few years of playing I had gotten to the point that I was skilled enough to contend for our local club championship. To make a long story short I had a lead coming to the last hole and blew it. It was doubly painful as the fellow who beat me was regarded as the biggest jerk to ever swing a club, by most of the other members. My usual group was some great older guys from our area, the next weekend we got together for our usual game and everyone avoided the topic of my choke. Except for an old friend of our family, he took me aside and gave me some advice that has helped me and can help you too. He told me that getting to the top level of any game is a progression of steps. You must tackle each new skill either physical, or mental, as a step on a ladder. Skip a step and you go back to learn it again, usually painfully.

What he was telling me is that I had taken the physical steps to have a good golf game, but I was not mentally prepared to take that game out and play with it under the pressure of competition, just another step as he would say.

Any competitive venture be it golf, trapshooting, or competition tiddlywinks requires you to take each learning step, both physical and mental to succeed. Learn from the mistake you made on that last target, or first target. Question yourself on why it happened and take the action needed to be sure you do not repeat the mistake.

19. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Having the thought in your head that missing the 100th or 400th target is worse than missing and random target almost guarantees that those last targets on a long run are going to be a problem. That thinking puts a monkey on your back prior to calling for that last target that you just don't have to contend with. Having the mindset that you will crush any legal target thrown whether the first, last, or inbetween is the winning strategy.

20. shooter 50

shooter 50 TS Member

I have dropped the 100th target for a 99 twice!!!
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.