1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

the Holy Grail of 357's...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Slugo, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slugo

Slugo Member

the Holy Grail of 357

the incomparable N-frame S&W Model 27. No, it's not mine!! Found the image on Goggle. Beautiful revolver IMHO...

27-2magnaleft.jpg

2. Slugo

Slugo Member

Oh jeez, I'll bet you regret that... :(

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'll have to post up my 1936 (second year of production) S&W Registered Magnum, the predecessor of the Model 27.

4. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Amazingly, both of the Smith 27's I have owned have been disappointments. I bought both used, but in excellent condition. I simply could not get decent groups out of mine. Both of my 27's had 6" barrels, and they wouldn't group as well as my 4" barreled Smith 586 (L-frame).

Ammo didn't matter...everything from 110 grain .357 JHP's to 158 grain .38 LRN's...all the same, usually the best I could wring from the bench were 3" groups at 25 yards...bore were scrupulously cleaned, I let another shooter friend try the guns, etc...nothing helped.

I did find them to be beautifully made...loved the checkered top strap..but performance was lousy...and inexplicable.

bluedsteel

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Bluedsteel:

It's not inexplicable. S&W went thru countless management and ownership changes through the years. Over the past several decades they shipped some of the finest revolvers ever made and they also shipped some total garbage -- some of it so horrific that I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes. I once witnessed the cylinder on a brand new Chief's Special bulge on the very first box of cartridges. Other S&W cylinders were misaligned with the barrels and rubbed the frame straight from the factory. Yet my own Chief's Special is amazingy accurate for what it is, and has been a total dream.

They made some jewels and they made some crap, it's that simple.

-Gary

6. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Gary;

I understand what you are saying...I guess I expected more from one (two) of their "premium" models. I had the barrel/cyclinder alignment checked on both guns, and it was within spec. I concluded that there was perhaps some kind of harmonic problem that resulted when the barrels were "fitted" to the frame...but I never really figured out the problem.

bluedsteel

7. Brian in Oregon

I have a later Model 27 with an 8-3/4" barrel. Very accurate. Especially with wadcutters. Made a great small game gun, because the wadcutter puts a ton of whack on critters, but meat destruction is almost nil. You can eat right up to the bullet hole. Haven't shot it much since I started turning farsighted. The sights are blurry.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I guess that I must have gotten one of the jewels!

Mine is a Mod 28 marked NYSP ... and from a rest, it will put them all into a 2 inch group at 25 yards.

9. Brian in Oregon

Wish I still had my 6" M28. Traded it off. That was back when they were a dime a dozen. Especially the 4" models. Now they're getting scarce.

10. maierar

maierar Member

My favorite 357 and runner-up:

maierar_2011_05013.jpg

maierar_2011_05014.jpg

OOps. Got the order wrong. First pic is runner-up, second is my favorite (but you probably figured that out already).

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Always figured the Python was No.1

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The omly thing the Phython had going for it was the blueing.
    The double-action stacks badly. The single-action pull is only
    average. It's most over-priced revolver on the market. You'll
    find that 99% of the police officers competing at the Police
    Nationals (about 500 shooters) will be shooting a S&W K or
    L frame revolver. If there was something better out there,
    they'd be using it.

13. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Back when I was a kid I used to hunt squirrels with a M27......thats all I had..... ya learned to hit 'em the head pretty quick if ya wanted to eat.It was alot of fun though.

D.P.Reynolds

14. Mapper

Mapper Member

Back in the 1950s my Dad and I were paper punchers. He went through a bunch of wheel guns, both Smith and Colt, and I never shot any of them that would loose a match. I could miss, but they didn't. Since then, things have changed. As someone mentioned, now some shoot well and some don't. As a result, the newest revolver I have is Dad's Smith pre-model 19. About all the others are pre-WWII.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.