1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The High Road's Dave McCracken

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dmarbell, Dec 18, 2012.

1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I'm not sure if this has been discussed on this forum. Dave McCracken was the moderator of the "Shotgun" forum on The High Road (www.thehighroad.org). He passed away from cancer on 11/07/2012.

I exchanged PM's and one phone call with Dave back when I started shooting clay targets. THR was the first forum I started to visit.

He was a great fan of Remington Wingmasters. Somewhere down the road, he acquired a Beretta White Onyx, and was very proud of it.

During my one conversation with him, while I was new to clay shooting, I asked him about trying to make a living with something shooting related. He told me his stories, including how he worked in the gun department at Dick's, and how hard it was.

His signature on posts was:

BA/UU/R....

Which translates to Buy Ammo, Use Up, Repeat....

Not a bad attitude to have.

I feel the same about losing him as I did about losing Pat Ireland. And, just about the same time of year.

Danny

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The High Road

Sorry for your loss

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I bought an 870 TB in pretty rough shape in August 2006. Dave McCracken gave me excellent advice and encouragement about refinishing the stock and caring for the gun. I was a new trapshooter, and the advice he gave me was invaluable.

He had mentioned he liked the older TB better than the new (at the time) Classic Traps. I asked why, and this is the answer I got. Always thoughtful and thorough.

Danny

A couple reasons I prefer my TB over a new Classic Trap are....

First, there's no gold colored badge on the receiver. Some folks like it, but I find it jarring.

No locking travesty of a safety.

Great wood. A blank of this quality and figure would be Custom Shop stuff now, not standard factory issue.

Good walnut has gotten scarcer and more costly since the 70s when mine was made.

Stumbling on a NIB TB would be nice. Restoring this to near new would also be nice and may provide more personal satisfaction. That's your call.

It would certainly validate your PETP membership.

And with parts all over the country and Net, you could swap stocks or refinish that one, have the metal redone, and get gun good for generations of use.

TDH, Remington target guns came in various grades. At one time, there were TA,TB, TC guns from the factory, with TD and TF available by special order only.

TB's had nicer wood than TAs. Both had pressed checkering. TCs had very nice wood with cut checkering. TDs had half coverage engraving, TFs had full coverage.

Almost all trap grades(and Skeet Grades) had great triggers, good wood and a little extra care in putting them together.

HTH....

4. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Awww crud. For whatever reason I logged into The High Road for the first time in years and found out about Dave's passing last year. He was a true gem in the rough. I remember the Frankengun, his old Remington pump that he said was a prison gun in an other life. I got to shoot it one day over at PG County. It was a good afternoon with a precious man who was very generous of his time and knowledge. RIP friend.

5. Slugo

Slugo Member

Dave was a really great and down to earth guy. I still think about him...

Search tags for this page

dave mccracken clay shooting

dave mccracken the high road