1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The height of the comb vs. POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skipsor, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skipsor

skipsor Member

I have an adjustable comb on my BT-99. Ever since I have owned the gun I haven't been anywhere near consistent with it. Most of the time it's a good day to hit 19-20 birds. With my O/U I am consistently at 23, with an occasional 24, hits.

Today I was thinking, but not knowing for sure, that I have been shooting under the targets. My inclination is to raise the comb in order to raise the POI while keeping pretty close to the same sight picture.

The question is, am I headed in the right direction or am I as fouled up as Hogan's goat? Any and all suggestions are welcome. However, it's not yet time to sell the gun to anyone...yet.

The soonest I will be able to go to a range and try this out will be Thursday.

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Best thing to do is to take your guns to the pattern board. Check the POI of the o/u (since that is what you seem to shoot best). Then check the POI of the BT99. If it is either lower or or higher than the o/u, set the adjustable comb to let you match the POI of the BT99 to the same as the o/u. That way your "sight picture" (in relation to the target) will be the same, and you should do better with the BT. Of course, other factors also come into play including differing LOPs, balance and swing of the BT versus your o/u, etc, all of which can and will affect how you shoot the BT versus how you shoot the o/u.

Jim R

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Another cause of the problem can be the guns trigger. Different weights of pull can affect your timing. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.