1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Hauxfan Proposal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauser, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauser

Hauser Member

On the “Crausby Thread” Hauxfan made a suggestion that the ATA mandate 44 degree angled targets for shoots where the ATA supply's trophies, (state, zone, satellite grands, and the Grand). The rest of the time clubs could set targets per the existing rules.

This is a great idea because it evaluates one possible solution to the current 27 yard domination of the sport using verifiable, target setting at little or no expense. This would affect less than 100 of the 5000+ registered shoots held each year.

This approach allows the ATA to gather data from these shoots and see what if any affect a more difficult target has on balancing the handicap system and is well worth considering.

Jerry Hauser

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

...so you like Spiral-Cut Ham, too, eh?

(I saw the title and assumed it involved a pile of condom wrappers on a hotel bedside table...)

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

In my mind, it lets those who worry about their average, to cherry pick what shoots they want to shoot.

You want to maintain a high average, you can still do so. Want to shoot against the big dogs at the State shoots and the Grand plus all of the satellite Grands and you can do that too.

But, just remember, if you shoot two hole targets all year, you may be shooting a little bit behind those 3 hole targets at the Grand and State shoots.

I'm also thinking it could increase the payouts at larger shoots because there wouldn't be so many shooters dividing up the 25s, 50s; and the high gun purses.

I can remember going to the Grand back in the 70s and playing the money and if you got even a 94 you'd have some money coming back. Now a 94 won't get you a sniff. A 95 was better and a 96 was hog heaven.

I also think this would eliminate having to stretch the fields to 30 yards for a while.

Lets hear what you think.

As Shootlow will tell you, I'm all ears..........lol

Hauxfan!

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I like the idea.

Autumn Grand would be a good place to try it.

5. motrap

motrap Member

I vote "YES"

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I don't think it will hurt the "Big Dogs" even a little but you will keep some B,C,D shooters home. Concrete at all shoots that have ATA trophies and AA points, not the whole place but just some fields for the big boys. That way you only affect the Bigs.

Don

7. Hauxfan

Don, the only trouble with just doing a few fields is........You know someone else will say they did the "best" fields for the long yardage shooters. lol

Hauxfan!

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Haux the real trouble is no matter what you do a bunch of people will bitch and complain that you are showing favoritism to someone. To bad we can't invent a perfect world.

Don

9. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Don't like the idea of shooting all year under one set of standards and when championship titles are on the line the rules get changed

10. Hauxfan

9point3 I can see your point.

But my point is that the ATA cannot enforce its rules as they stand for all of the small clubs now. There are to many to police and not all of them will police themselves.

But with my proposal, the ATA can police the big shoots.

Besides, it may be a way of showing that the small shoots should be throwing the same target as the little shoots if their shooters want to remain competitive. Well, a back door way, maybe, but it might work.

Hauxfan!

PS.....I hear you Don!

11. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Personally, I think that most shooters shoot because they enjoy: shooting; being around people who shoot; and enjoy higher levels of competition, and will shoot most any target thrown. Sure they will bellyache about it, because its the nature of a trapshooter to be a crybaby from time to time about height, speed, angle, wind, loads or the excuse du jour when they miss.

However, it has been my experience that more difficult targets never drove shooters away who were there to shoot and worth keeping around. Rather, it was other factors that caused them to quit or leave, and the difficulty of the targets or target presentation provided the best excuse for not coming back. There are many times I don't frequent a club as often as I would like, but it has never been because of the targets. For me it has always been the availability of time and money. If I had enough of both I would be at them all of the time. The club I belong to throws difficult targets, primarily because of the position of the traphouses throwing to the South and uneven land and background, whether real or perceived, and we have the same guys coming back. Sometimes they comment and bellyache about the targets, but they are true shooters and come to the club with the attitude that "I have just as good of chance of breaking them all as anybody else". Those are the shooters who I respect and want to be like, and I don't think a 3 hole target will scare them off.

John E.

12. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

I think Hauxfan's proposal makes a lot of sense; Jimmy Borum is in the hunt too....It raises the bar (just slightly)from a scoring standpoint and would improve the possibility of winning more money for those whom like to gamble. More than once I have hit a lewis purse that paid me less than I put into it. Just need a bigger truck I guess.

Dick Gries

13. Hauser

Hauser Member

This is the perfect test bed to understand if throwing a more difficult target to a significant number of shooters will loosen 27 yard domination of the handicaps.

Since 1995 all shoot scores are entered into a data base that permits the data in that base to be easily be separated and sorted. I have done this numerous times to determine state teams by using M.S. Excel. The software can sort the data by as many ways as there are data entry fields.

For example the 1995 national data base contains shoot information on 34011 shooters in 8 different fields. Slicing and dicing that information is very easy.

Jerry Hauser

14. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

The proposal needs to be presented to the right peeps.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Variable target setting changes the game too much. The targets should be as much a
    constant as possible and if you're going to make them harder then it has to be for all. Not a good Idea.

16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Barry, it's only two settings. And it would present and provide an ideal test bed.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Test bed for what? Certainly not the integrity of trapshooting. If you want to play with the sport's foundation, go play the games.

18. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Barry, it's funny you would mention foundation.

19. Hauxfan

Funny, Shottron! lol lol

Hauxfanny!

20. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Just shoot the frickin birds.....don't miss...no worries.Don't try to fix something that ain't broke.

D.P.Reynolds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.