1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The hard right!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by threedeuces, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Being a right handed shooter, why do the hard rights on 5 kick my ars. If I could get good on them I think I could come up with some pretty decent scores.
    I am sure someone has a trick or two to help with this.
    At this point I could use all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What is your foot position?

Where is your starting gun point?

Where are your eyes looking when you call for the target?

Do you "lose the target" because its blocked out by your gun barrel when you make your move to it?

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Campbell says put your gun at 5. This is a lefty version, but it is mostly the same for both on 5 and 1. only need to move the 3 to the other side of center. This is for a 2-eyed paralell gun shooter. But if one-eyed, the concept is pretty much the same just move the numbers down a bit. Just shuffle over the 3 and 4 numbers in relative proximity if you are right handed

mia_2008_0303208.jpg

4. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

I don't usually miss that one, and I'm right handed. I'm weaker from the left. I like the hard right, because you get to put a Skeet lead on it. Trap leads are usually much tighter.

I only hate the hard right, or any target, when they stay flat. A flat target is like a change-up. You can throw it right by me.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I had trouble with the same shot until I took a Nora Ross clinic last year and Randy Martin stood behind me and watched while I shot.

I thought I had to use huge leads to hit them but he saw that I was pushing the barrel with my left hand and pulling my cheek away from the side of the stock so I was looking across the rib instead of down the length of it. The end of the barrel appeared to be way ahead of the target but the bore was actually pointed at the front of the target when I hit them hard. He showed me how to swing on the target without moving my head or arms. It works. No more huge leads... just shoot at the target's 4 o'clock and it breaks.

MK

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Two ways that might help, both involve your feet and can be tried at home just standing up and swinging your body. First, put your feet in the normal way you shoot and then press down just a little on the big toe of your left foot. Then swing your body and see what happens. The second way is to assume your normal stance and then without moving heel of your right foot, move the toes of the right foot about 1/4 inch to the right and swing your body again.

Pat Ireland

7. SeanGamble

SeanGamble TS Member

i use the d. lee braun lead method. follow the bird and as you beads cross the bird pull the trigger and continue to get ahead of the bird.

8. canada

canada Member

If you are holding the gun outside the trap, maybe because you are being cautious about the hard rights, move it back to the corner. Maybe even a couple inches inside. This way you will have a move to the target that is in the same path as it takes, rather than trying to cut it off and shooting behind it.

Pat Lamont

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Pat Lamont. On post 5, I hold my gun very close to where the hard right leaves the house. I do hold a low gun and I want to see the bird leave the house. If I can stay into my gun correctly, see the bird clearly, everything else just seems to happen automatically and the target breaks.

Also, when I practice, I shoot by myself and only shoot posts one and five.

Pat Ireland

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Heard of an exercise where you shoot from position 6 - well, you know what I mean. Might help with some of the above excellent ideas posted above.

They do smoke like any other target.

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Reread both of Pat's post, there's a lot to be learned from a few words. He's hit several different things, all helpfull in the process. Good luck and shoot often while we can, Bob

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

One league they decided to accomodate teams that had 6 shooters. Post "6" was fixed, you didn't move. I volunteered the first night and by the end of the round I was so disgusted I tossed my 870 into the grass. I had cooled off by the following week and tried it again, with much better results. After shooting the entire league on post six, hard rights were no longer a mystery (you knew there were no hard lefts coming).

I wouldn't recommend the above method, but foot placement is critical, and I would start there. Set yourself turned as far clockwise as you can and then still be able to comfortably get to the hard lefts. Then make small adjustments as needed. Gun hold should start at the corner of the house and then adjust outward as needed. Pretty soon it will come automatically. Good luck.

13. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

The most common reason for this is pushing the gun away from your face. Left hand tragets your pushing the gun into your face. Bury your face into the stock on those hard rights and see if that helps. Bernie

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

A "locked trap" is the road to success in a situation like this. Get hold of a trap at the club for your exclusive use. Assuming it's a Pat Trap.

1. Fire the target with the on/off switch and turn it on again. The arm will cock but - if all is working right - a bird will not drop. If a bird drops, find another trap rather than play Russian Roulette with a cocked, loaded trap.

2. On the little box on the right (looking out) switch it to manual and jog the trap so you are getting a straightaway from post one, or a little less than a straightaway.

3. Start on one, shoot a couple, and so to the right. By the time you get to five, you will still have a lot of shells.

4. On the way across, if you were paying attention, you might have noticed that even if you weren't leading the bird at all, you broke it. It's only on five you need to get ahead of the bird to get a piece, and then hardly in front at all. Shoot those locked angles, maybe boxes, maybe all day, until you know _exactly_, that is, where in front, where under (if at all) you need to put the gun to get absolute, total smoke.

5. Write it down and keep doing it. Problem solved.

6. Clear the trap and switch it back to automatic or the next league squad will hunt you down and murder you.

Neil

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I am a rather mediocre trapshooter. However, it is the sliders and straights that hurt my scores more than anything...the target that appears to be a straight but actually has a break off any post.

However, the hard angles make me relax. One knows what they are doing. And there is all the time in the world to hit them; they won't get away, they are closer when they break than a straight away. All one has to do is pull the trigger and keep the gun moving when the beads are on the bird. Now if I could hit that breaking straight or straight away consistently, heck, I bet I'd be an A class shooter vs. a C class shooter. Give me the hard angles all day long and one knows what target he or she is shooting. The others...ah, the subtle nature kills me.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Focus on the target.

17. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I disagree that you lead the hard right differently - just "shoot em in the beak".

What helped me immensely: gary0923 suggested giving the target more airtime, that is move your break point farther right. The correlary is don't panic on the hard angles. Good luck.

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Yup... the farther right it goes the flatter and slower it is.

MK

19. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Marked for later read. Ray

20. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I too have trouble with No. 5 on hard rights and am a right hand shooter, one eyed and hold a low gun (where Nora says). When I start missing the hard rights, i cure it fast by not unconsciously stopping the gun....I follow thru more. Hard lefts on No. 1 never miss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hard right trap shooting youtube

pat trap hard rights

trap shooting and hitting the hard right bird

trap shooting technique hard rights