1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The green thing!!! For you old guys.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Green Thing

At the check-out at the supermarket, the cashier told an older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologised to her and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The check-out girl responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, pop bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilised and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have a lift in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning kilowatts -- wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that old lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of a football pitch .

In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.

We refilled fountain pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took a tram or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mums into a 24-hour taxi service.

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza outlet.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartarse young person.

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Great post BB!!!

Those day's were wasted on this new "educated" generation!

I remember as a Boy Scout doing "Bottle Roundup" loved hitting the grocery stores and taverns!! We hauled pickup loads of bottles back to the bottling places.

Spent weekends picking up for "Goodwill" donations!

This generation can stick the "green" ideology where the sun don't shine!!

Lets just get back to doing "community service"! Being Green is for the retards!

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Man Bugle, you old people sure are selfish.

4. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

Guys, I love it! I spent 20 years of my life doing environmental work for the Feds and State. It seriously got so bad, I quit and left the arena taking up a new profession. Wasn't easy becuase I was good at what I did (not bragging just the fact).

The enviro tards have ruined what was supposed to be a good thing; they turned it into a political platform. Rather than using science to form solid educated decissions, they now use what "feels good" or what is "scary" or "gross" to them.

Ever notice that most of the "real smart green folks" are the ones that live in the big cities? I live in a little town near Walla Walla, WA., so the brainiacs in Portland, Seattle, California......they all look down their noses at us small town educated enviro dorks. Funny though, when you think about it, they are the ones that have completely dessimated the area in which they live.......it's ll made of concrete, steel, brick, asphalt, etc. Not a square inch has gone unmolested, yet they know best. All because they have 3 garbage cans to "sort" their trash, all the while as pointed out above, they leave a huge foot-print on society and mother earth to feed their new gadgets

Hypocritical pukes!

Spread lead guys!

5. APrice

APrice Active Member

I knew a guy in high school who had the green thing. Some gal gave it to him I think.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

We used lead paint and leaded gasoline because we didn't know better. We used
    X-rays for trying on shoes and curing tonsilitis and adenoids because we didn't
    know better.

We dried our clothes on clotheslines because the air wasn't so polluted and we could. We returned milk bottles because the milkman picked them up. We returned coke bottles to get back the 5 cent depostit. We had one small screen black and white TV because that's all there were and you couldn't afford more than one.

We road the bus and streetcars because we only had one car. Our kids rode bikes because it was a lot safer than it is now.

We were selfish and the younger generation is paying for it. The fact that
    they're recycling bottles, paper, etc. is a testament to the younger generation
    who is trying to undo the mess we made. Though we had paper drives back then to recyle old newspapers, I don't pat myself on the back. If we
    had pampers back then we wouldn't have washed diapers. We didn't have the
    concern for the environment that young people have today, and I applaud them for it.

7. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

Dickgtax.........don't take this personally, but you are a moron. Mother earth takes care of its self. You obviously put too much emphasis on man's ability to do harm and too little faith in the man upstairs......pretty arrogant.

Again, I did environmental work professionally for over 20 years.....back before it was "cool". You're in over your head on this conversation. Just keep voting for Pelosi and switch to steel shot so you won't be so scared at night when you go to bed.

Shane

8. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Well said!! Mike.

9. dalog

dalog Member

Thanks Shane, some people just can't handle the truth!

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Shane you are dead on correct

They idiots feel all warm and fuzzy because they recycle their bottles etc but make more pollution doing it

And don't even get me going over the stupidity of the EPA

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yeah, we use corn in our gas so the food costs more, and the ethanol uses more petroleum to produce than the energy it gives back.

Thanks for saving us, Archer Daniels Midland. I'm sure the Washington boyz who pushed your program appreciated the bribes too.
    And thanks, taxpayers for subsidizing this little fiasco too.

HM

12. Don S

Don S Member

As I remember, the dreaded plastic grocery bags were invented to replace the paper grocery bags. This was done to stop ourselves from taking trees from the environment. Different methods, same goals.

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

just give me a dollar that's worth a dollar, not 9 cents, and i could afford to buy both green and american! good luck with it

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Ounce 3/8 (the size of your brain) I like that people are doing recycling and
    your "he must be a liberal" sensor lights up. So "you are a moron" is the best you can do. You and your knee-jetk cronies are pitiful.

Don't bother to reply. I'm not coming back to this thread.

15. no powder

no powder Member

Good post Barrelbulge

16. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

Well let's hope he doesn't!
    Shane you represent to majority, even if we are not over 60

Is that when you are "an old guy" ?

17. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

I'm only 40.

I think Dickgtax must have put his bong or weed pipe down long enough to write his gibberish. We probably won't hear back from him in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.