1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Green Thing....Back in the day!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Luckyman, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Jan 29, 1998

?The "Green" Thing

In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that plastic
    bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized to her and
    explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day.

That's right, they didn't have the green thing in her day. Back then,
    they returned their milk bottles, Coke bottles and beer bottles to the
    store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized
    and refilled, using the same bottles over and over. So they really were
    recycled. But they didn't have the green thing back her day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator
    in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and
    didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two
    blocks. But she's right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's diapers because they didn't have the
    throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling
    machine burning up 220 volts.? "Wind and solar power" really did dry the
    clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters,
    not always brand-new clothing. But that old lady is right, they didn't
    have the green thing back in her day.

Back then, they had one radio and maybe a TV, in the house not a TV in every
    room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a pizza dish, not a
    screen the size of the state of Montana .? In the kitchen, they blended
    and stirred by hand because they didn't have electric machines to do
    everything for you. When they packaged a fragile item to send in the
    mail, they used wadded up newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or
    plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, they didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut
    the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised
    by working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on
    treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right, they didn't
    have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty, instead of using a
    cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They
    refilled pens with ink, instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced
    the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the? blade got dull. But they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar and kids rode their bikes to school
    or rode the school bus, instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour
    taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire
    bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a computerized? gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But that old lady is right. ?They didn't have the green thing back in her? day
  2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    In the Cabana
    Now that's the truth, it amazes me how many good things people used to do, but now they say it is too expensive

Why don't they refill bottles? They say it costs too much to ship them back, but the deliver truck is going back to the plant empty, fill it with bottles to be refilled

Self sevice gas. They used to pump it for people, but now they say it's too expensive. Have the gas prices gone down?

Home delivery of groceries, they used to do it but now it's too expensive, have the grocery prices gone down?

Guess I could go on and on
  3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    Killing the local business has taken care of the things we used to do. I can remember going up to the dairy store and watching Howie hansen run the milk bottling machine. People would, as said, walk up to Hansens's with their metal carrier and turn in the empty glass bottles when they bought their milk.

Soda too, there were 3 small bottling plants on my side of town, and if you hung around gazing wistfully at the machine operator, sometimes you would get a freebie.

Sunday evenings Dad took the radio down off the top of the refrigerator and we had Amos 'n Andy, Jack Benny, and all that. Better not make any noise either.

One car. Dad took it to work. Mom stayed home. If you barked your shins she was there with the Iodine. Lunch was on the table if we weren't in school. She would walk to the grocery. Back to school clothes came out of the Sears Catalog.

We had a lot more common sense, and after the depression most everyone was frugal. My Dad had a Mall (later Milwaukee) electric drill, and he sent it in to be overhauled. He was pissed when they charged him 7 bucks.

When I got married we used cloth diapers and got laughed at, that wasn't the modern way. We laughed back, all the way to the bank.

I had cataract surgery 4 years ago. Back then I would have simply went blind.

My Dad's friend had to have his knee locked because they had no scope jobs then.

I have a cellphone, and if I go hunting alone I don't have to worry about a fall or an injury.

This computer will answer most any question I have, and repairing my own cars is much easier because of it. We had a set of encyclopedias from 1926, practically useless except for the pictures.

I have a dozen or so small appliances, and they do the job for a lot less energy than the Oven or stove, and my little electric grill saves on water and soap because I don't have to wash up a fry pan.

When I die, My Heaven will have the good parts from both eras.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Part of going 'green' often involves going back to the ways of previous generations. Of course you can never really go back but anything we can do to reduce our use of energy and reduce the amount of plastic going to the landfill will help.

Still, It seems like those coca-colas we use to get out of the chest style vending machines in returnable bottles just tasted better than what you get today. Maybe it was just the bike ride to the market that made a kid thirsty.
  5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Cokes in a bottle cost a nickle each--a six pack was a quarter, (if you had one). Gasoline was 25 cents a gallon, but who had a quarter?
  6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    You have to remember what "green" is all about.

Green = money!!

Follow the money trail, it will always lead you to the nearest outhouse!
  7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Reloaders are also old school green. We recycled brass cases, shotgun shells, and salvaged lead, and still do.
  8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Some forms of green the liberals do not like Brian! Jeff
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.