1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Weed Conspiracy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by docbombay, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

The Great Weed Conspiracy

You just knew it was going to happen. You knew the Sparta defenders and Grand apologists were not going to let it go without a fight. They were going to take some action. We just didn't know when. We didn't know how.

It all started with a simple enough thread here on the forum. The thread showed pictures of the Grand. They were not flattering. The grounds did not look good. There were tall weeds growing next to the concrete yardage markers and the gun racks were rusted and flaking. Many, myself included, thought that the annual "showcase" for our sport deserved better. Others thought we were making "mountains out of mole hills" and nitpicking. And thus, the fuse was lit.

As is the case with any discussion regarding the Grand and Sparta, it soon became a Sparta versus Ohio, Illinois hates guns and my dad can beat up your dad discussion. The venom filled posts were legion in number. They included everything from convicts to weed eaters. Why even one poster was so bold as to tell everyone that did not agree with him that their opinion didn't matter. A war had been declared. Granted, it was a war of words. But make no mistake, it was indeed a war. And the fighting became rather vicious.

Like most wars, not all the fighting is direct confrontation. There are many behind the scenes skirmishes that take place. There are spies. There are psychological operations (PSYOP) taking place. And of course, there is counter intelligence. Now I am well aware that many of you are now chuckling and taking exception to my view that intelligence can be associated with any discussion taking place here on the forum, but bear with me. It was just this subject (counter intelligence) that drew this normally neutral benevolent forum member into the life of shadows and deception. I was recruited. I was a pawn. I became a double agent.

"They won't suspect you" said my handler. "They trust you and we are desperate for someone to infiltrate the inner circle of this group before they strike!" he continued. And thus my new life began. I sent PM's to the posters defending Sparta telling them I couldn't agree more with their statements and position. I won their confidence. I became one of them. And soon, I discovered the plot. Dysing......errrrr....my handler was correct. They were going to attack. They were going to attempt to bring down the Cardinal Center. They had weeds. And they knew how to use them!

I arrived at the Cardinal Center for the Cardinal Classic early on Wednesday. As I was pre-squaded there was no need spending any time in the main building. I combed the grounds. They were manicured. They were meticulous. Yet amongst this serene beauty there was an underlying feeling of dread that I just could not shake. I continued my search.
    [​IMG]

The gun racks were spectacular. I was told they could be a secondary target. Yet every one inspected was spotless, not even a single bird dropping.

[​IMG]

As I approached bank eight my senses were on full alert. It was as if some voice inside were calling sight and smell to battle stations. Something was amiss! Something was not right! And then I saw it. They had struck! The pinko commie bedwetters from Illinois had infiltrated our beloved Cardinal Center. They had planted their explosive device. I could see it clearly as I hesitantly approached. It was planted for all to see. We had weed!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I scanned the lines. Had anyone seen this monstrosity? Was I still the only one aware of this cruel disfigurement of bank eight? All of the rigorous training instilled by Dysing....errrrr.....my handler took over. I sprung into action. I approached the noxious offender head on. And without regard for my own personal safety I took hold of the treacherous object and with one swift movement it was over. Bank eight had been secured. The threat was over. The plot foiled.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No one was wiser. No shooter would ever be aware of the events that had taken place early that first morning. They would shoot and enjoy the programs. They would take home fond memories and never be the wiser of the pending disaster averted. And as the case with most operations like this, that is how it should be.

Me, I was allowed to return to my former life. I was no longer a creature of the shadows. I was just another shooter. My handler and I cross paths occasionally and exchange knowing glances, but that is all. No mention of the plot is made. It is as if it never happened.

The day went well. I threw a 97 at them in the morning handicap. Yet I just couldn't shake this feeling of pending doom. Had I missed anything? The weather looked perfect.

But somehow I sensed a storm was brewing from the southwest.

Doc

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Nicely done Doc!

Guy Babin

3. zinger

zinger Member

Now that was freakin funny!! Thanks for taking care of the problem!

4. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Great story !

Sure miss my friends out there this year.

Dave in SC

[​IMG]

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Has that weed been preserved, has it been framed. It can be presented each year as the weed award to deserving event locations. HMB

6. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Very enjoyable thread...well done Doc.

JMHO

Jim C

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I can just see the John Belushi "Animal House" stealth shuffle as you approached your mission...

8. WJN

WJN TS Member

I am not at all comfortable with your destruction of evidence.....

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Great post and thread Doc.

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Wow Doc, that was brilliant! A suggestion, offer that weed to the ATA Hall of Fame. Oh, I forgot...stuff from Ohio wouldn't be caught dead in Illinois...

milt

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Tree huggers will get you for disturging Nature at work.

HM

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You missed your calling, that was great and spot on ... That will teach that weed and weeds every where ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nahhhhh,

Now this weed in Michigan...

14. KGUN

KGUN TS Member

That's why I go on Trapshooters. GREAT JOB Doc!!!

15. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Be very careful about small disputes. Back in the 19th century, we had two families, one in Kentucky and another in West Virginia that got into a disagreement over a pig and they have been shooting at each other ever since.

Several Kentucky shooters I know like to visit each facility as soon as they have achieved the appropriate yardage reduction. Ohio money spends just the same as Illinois money.

Ed Ward

16. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Awesome story line and a very nice ending.

17. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I have to believe this will win the "Thread Of The Year" award on TS.COM

18. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I would proudly nominate doc's Weed-B-Gone thread as thread of the year.

The Illinois DNR should offer you a job. Apparently, they could afford your services, as you will work for laughs. However, you missed the weed behind you in the picture and the one further in front of you. You know I couldn't post something on here without b!#@*ing about something at the Cardinal Center when I complained about the WSC. I like to be an equal opportunity complainer and offender.

Nevertheless, job well done.

John

19. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Out here in California they would have hauled your ass to jail for attacking such a defenseless little growing thing.

20. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Doc... the human sacrafice that you made to ambush that unsightly weed is equilivant to jumping on a gernade to save your squad. I nominate you to get a free brick from Brad Dysinger.

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.