1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Flood of Rapid City

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

40 years ago today the Great flood of Rapid City changed a lot of good peoples lives. Any of you TS.com folks live there at the time. How about Whiz, Bud ? Any stories to share?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Forty years ago tomorrow. June 9, 1972.

Yep I was there and wished I wasn't - still have bad deams about washing out the foundations to find dead people. Not really an experience I was mature enough to handle at the time but everybody was pitching in to help with that awful task.

On the plus side (if there was one), fishing along Rapid Creek was exceptional for a few months after as the hatchery upsteam of Canyon Lake washed out. I also got to salvage some .22 ammo from a hardware store that got washed out of Bacon Park.

I knew a couple of kids that got killed in it so it was an event I'll never shake.

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Interesting coincidence - I write this as I'm sitting just south of Hill City SD. Yesterday afternoon I was in Keystone when we had a rainstorm. It wasn't a deluge, but Battle Creek rose pretty fast and changed from clear to muddy. With those narrow canyons it's easy to see how a major rainstorm could easily lead to flooding.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It was an incredibly intense rain - about 10 inches in four hours.

There is a really cool pond about where you are Pocatello. Use to be a favorite fishing and swimming hole with a big rock you could jump off. Also use to get some very good largemouth bass out of Sheridan Lake which is in the vicinity. Pretty nice place to be.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I was stationed at Ellsworth when it happened but was TDY to Thailand at the time it happened, got back about 5 months after the flood, really change the place for a while

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.