1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grand mentioned on Paul Harvey today

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TheGentleman, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGentleman

TheGentleman TS Member

I heard Paul Harvey today mention The Grand American in Sparta Illinios. He said there would be approximately 6,000 attendees and 11,000 spectators. Glad to hear that story from a national figure.

2. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

and now page two , i am sorry , i could not resist . i remember back in 1988 when i started shooting that the grand shootoffs were on espn. Britt Robinson and Thomas Jacomb i beleive it was. they cover everything else now why not trapshooting.

3. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

"THE REST OF THE STORY"

Paul HArvey and his son (Paul Jr) shot some skeet for a few years near Chicago.
    Mr Harvey has been more that kind to all shooting sports over his many years as our "newsboy". I hope he will be able to continue at his present job for many more years. He normally tells it like it is.

4. TheGentleman

TheGentleman TS Member

I heard Paul Harvey today mention The Grand American in Sparta Illinios. He said there would be approximately 6,000 attendees and 11,000 spectators. Glad to hear that story from a national figure.

5. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

and now page two , i am sorry , i could not resist . i remember back in 1988 when i started shooting that the grand shootoffs were on espn. Britt Robinson and Thomas Jacomb i beleive it was. they cover everything else now why not trapshooting.

6. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

"THE REST OF THE STORY"

Paul HArvey and his son (Paul Jr) shot some skeet for a few years near Chicago.
    Mr Harvey has been more that kind to all shooting sports over his many years as our "newsboy". I hope he will be able to continue at his present job for many more years. He normally tells it like it is.

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

Here we are Bob broadcasting from Sparta,Ill. home of the largest trapshooting event in the world!!!!--------Thats right Dave,,its called the Grand American,,,,Now lets go to the action on the line------Quit Please!!!! Look at that shooting form Dave--------I see it Bob,,,slick!!!! But I think the voice release was slow,,,,,lets go to the instant replay~~~~Well Dave it was slow,,but his concentration held and he really shattered that orb on that shot!!! Lets get back to the action for the final 99 targets!!!!

And thats,,,the rest of the story!!! Goodnight.....

AKA Grammie......

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

TV coverage? Who in the Wide World of Sports is going to watch even 15 minutes of trap shooting? Unless it the Swedish Ladies Team - and scantily attired at that.

Don

9. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

i used to love to watch the Celebrity shoots they had on TV. Under the lights, having to break the target in a zone. Wish I could remember more about it...

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Cherokee Rose lists it among its attractions presently. Starshot had a frame painted to show up under the lights, and celbrities were paired with big dog shooters.

It was fun to watch even if the commentaters were clueless.

HM

11. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

We have touched on this before. Now there are shooting events covered on cable TV. Sadly, the ATA BOD will not put together a CoC event that is media friendly. First, champion of champions should include all disciplines (singles, doubles, handicap) and should be run on that type of abreviated shootoff format. All three would start simultaneously so the cameras could go back and forth from one to the other like golf. This format would drop lots of folks in the first round and would not go on and on and on like the battery bunny. But no - there is not a single visionary amongst those old fat men. If standing up, not one can even see their shoes let alone the future.

12. trap41

trap41 TS Member

If spectators can intensely watch a little ball getting clobbered by some neurotic as in golf, then I don’t see the difference in spectators watching some other neurotic shoot at a flying disk, except maybe that trap or skeet could actually be fun to watch.

13. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I am telling you the problem is the BOD and the lack of forward thinking and true marketing efforts

14. Barry

Barry Member

Here's a link to the Paul Harvey broadcast about the Brand: http://www.paulharvey.com/wma/mondaypm.asx

His mention of the Grand is 12:13 into this broadcast.

15. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

And now the rest of the story......

Ronbo

16. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

The Versus channel has hunting and fishing shows in the morning and yacht racing in the afternoon. It was yacht racing that was referred to as being exciting as "watching grass grow". Most people watchng a yacht race can't even figure out which boat is ahead, even in a match race, particularly if they are on split tacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.