1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

the grand at sparta.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rodbuster, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

We were there yesterday, and it seemed like there were less vendors in tent row than there was last year. The cooling station was a nice touch as they provided free Gatorade and water. I was going to buy a couple of chokes for my Browning, but I decided not to after seeing the price increase that the vendor put on them from last year. I was kind of suprised to see vendors in the air conditioned buildings closing up at 4:30 as there were people still shooting. I am not sure how sales were doing, but I didn't see much sale action going on. In spite of the heat we had a good time.

2. rcmax29

rcmax29 TS Member

There's much to like about Sparta, and the Grand will always be the Grand, but as a sport we are going to have to come to grips with the fact that Sparta is not suitable as a permanent home if we want the Grand to grow back to what it once was. It's hard to put a finger on it, but the location has turned the Grand into a "commuter shoot" in a extraordinarily hot location that is an hour away from most shooters' accomodations. No amount of money or time can change that.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jeeeese Mike....how much difference in temperature betweem Sparta and Vandalia yesterday?

If I'm not mistaken, the whole country ios experiencing a heat wave!

4. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Should have gone into Dawson Enterprises, they had many beautiful pieces of wood from which to pick and then they will have a stock made for you with the best recoil system currently on the market.

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

PerazziBigBore:

I agree it was hot there this week end and also agree about Phillip from the old P & P gunsmithing, I left my combo gun with 3 barrel's to be rebuilt with him today he does top notched work and in the past he even with out of the way to help me out on a set of release triggers for the gun since it was an older gun and I was told one price but ended up being cheaper than I was expecting so my cap is off to him also.

Another thing I wanted a rough estimate on what the job was going to cost on the gun I left today , because I am having a friend to pick it up for me and to pay for it but he said he would just make out a bill for it and for me to mail him a check.

Im sure he don't do buisness these way all the time but I figured since im a repeat customer then he know's I will send him a check for the job.

Anyone that knows me knows I will anyway.

Foghorn220

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

dbc61451

They built it and pay for the police that they feel necessary to protect their interest.. BUT the "help" was paid for by us. Everything involved with putting on the Grand itself is the ATA's baby as far as expenses connected with the shoot directly. We rent the (trap line). The ATA puts on the Grand not IL. And I might add they do a bang up job of it (pun intended).

Rock

Jim

7. Ms Belle

Ms Belle TS Member

so i am reading these threads and i am wondering why is it that i, as many others have a hard time adapting to Sparta. Then I realize that many of us made many precious memories in Ohio. Memories that we will cherish for our whole lives. On the flip side, I personally like Sparta. It is nice here and maybe there aren't many vendors that have been here the whole time, BUT there are some that have been. Gamaliel has been open since before the kids began shooting and they stay open until 6:00; J Js stays open too. I think we need to give credit where credit is due, instead of focusing on the negatiive. Please don't think that I am some far left liberal because of what I am saying, I just think that we in the shooting sports need to keep an open mind and be open to new experinces we are going to create in Sparta. Personally I am having a great time chiiling on site at the camp grounds and lingering around during the shoot offs. Lets see what happens in the next couple of years before we decide to bury sparta and make another drastic change.

8. Ms Belle

Ms Belle TS Member

so i am reading these threads and i am wondering why is it that i, as many others have a hard time adapting to Sparta. Then I realize that many of us made many precious memories in Ohio. Memories that we will cherish for our whole lives. On the flip side, I personally like Sparta. It is nice here and maybe there aren't many vendors that have been here the whole time, BUT there are some that have been. Gamaliel has been open since before the kids began shooting and they stay open until 6:00; J Js stays open too. I think we need to give credit where credit is due, instead of focusing on the negatiive. Please don't think that I am some far left liberal because of what I am saying, I just think that we in the shooting sports need to keep an open mind and be open to new experinces we are going to create in Sparta. Personally I am having a great time chiiling on site at the camp grounds and lingering around during the shoot offs. Lets see what happens in the next couple of years before we decide to bury sparta and make another drastic change.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The Sparta acceptance is slow as most trapshooters are old and old people don't like change...of any kind.

Curt - Delaware

10. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner TS Member

I am from Ohio and between Ohio State shoots and the Grand I have shot at Vandalia over fifty tims. I Have seen it unbearably hot in Vandalia also. Probably as hot as it is in Sparta.While I hated to see the A.T.A and the Grand leave Ohio, I wish the very best for Sparta.I have never shot at a Fifty Million Dollar Club, It has to be something Special.I hope everyone shoots well and has a good time.At my age Sparta is pretty far to Drive. Maybe next year.

11. rcmax29

rcmax29 TS Member

slugger - to your question of a perfect place for the Grand?

Probably no such place, but I would think that somewhere in PA or OH [where there is a big concentration of shooters] would be great; the Amarillo proposal [5 miles from a full service airport and less than 10 mi from 3500 hotel rooms, with our HOF located on a major interstate highway for the world to see] would have been great; North Central Texas or even Oklahoma - great central location, but with heat almost as bad as Sparta. Change the time of year and go to Las Vegas - that would be awesome. Just some ideas - all of which are preferable to the present location.

Anywhere with hotels, an airport, places for non-shooters to go and just so it's not a "commuter shoot" would be preferable IF you want the event to really grow some day.

12. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Nobody around still is that old!

13. bubba at ohio

bubba at ohio TS Member

to me the grand should be in central location for everyone like kansas ALL I AM SAY SPARTA BUIDS MILLON DOLLAR PLACE WE BITCH OHIO BUILDS MILLON DOLLAR PLACE WE BITCH U SHOULD APPRECIATE THEM BOTH THEY BOTH HAVE DONE A NICE JOB

14. bubba at ohio

bubba at ohio TS Member

more like trapshooters bitch all the time zar

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm loving it. I heard that you don't see any of your friends here at Sparta, and it's impersonal, but I've seen A LOT of my friends here, and I'm having a blast. Giacamo has my gun to re-do the firing pin, fix the break open lever, and whatever else it needs, and I get in back in ONE DAY. Phil (of P & P fame above) has the Comp 1 I'm trying, so he can shorten the pad a little, and I get that back after one evening, to try tomorrow! I'm excited!

The center is really cool, and there is stuff to do in there (silent auction, HOF display, etc. I saw 4 steel buildings of vendors, and a ton of tent vendors. The have a lounge, and I heard there was free wireless internet, but I haven't tried it yet because I use it at the hotel, which is less that 2 miles from the shooting grounds.

I really don't see the problem. I'm having a great time.

And it's hot everywhere right now.

16. laura!

laura! Member

Might as well add my 2 cents. I support the ATA's decision to move the Grand to a more central location in the country but I don't think there'd be as much bitchin if they'd moved north as well. Someplace like Michigan that has a chance of not being as HOT as it was in Sparta. They won't (and shouldn't) ever change it to September because of the SCTP kids who now account for a very significant number of the shooters at the Grand. Unless the shooting complex attracts more business there won't be too many hotel chains putting up hotels for only 2 weeks of business. Driving over an hour to get to the Grand kinda sucked. I don't believe the Grand will stay in Sparta

17. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Most people around here can get to 1 or more registered shoot locations in the twenty twenty-five mile range.

Rock

Jim

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I think that the scores might go way up if held in Mid October like the skeet shooters do, end of season then snow. They have a seperate place and time for the Kids at Junior World. In my own small way I think that this would make alittle more sence. No time is going to be good for everyone. But this would sure make it alot for comfortable for the ones who will show up(Scores will be higher,maybe more vendors). Remember build it and they will come. I just started shooting trap almost 3 years now. Why would anyone want to go to biggest shoot of the year in the worst time of year!!! The reason (skeeters) moved it to Oct. was to many shooters were hanging the guns up after the shoot was over. This move made for a longer season, more targets shot at per season,per shooter. I remember reading alot of posts back in Dec. Jan. Feb. about where is global warming. Well I think its here to stay. Stay COOL. My 2 cents. Break-em all. Jeff

19. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

zarathrusta there you go making sense again. hey i say move it to ottumwa, iowa that way i will be able to attend every year, or at least til i become a muck shoveler for recurvy.

20. John55

John55 Active Member

Folks, like it or not, the Grand is in Sparta and it's gonna be there for a long time, IMO. And the biggest reason it's going to stay there is real simple...money. Who/What/Where is going to come with the bucks necessary for a facility big enough to host this event one time a year? It couldn't be found before the move and it most likely won't be found in the future. Large tracts of raw land nearby big cities are few and far between, saying nothing about the price being sky high and the zoning nightmares a shooting complex must face to even get past the planning stage. A facility such as this MUST be far away from any metro area if it is to be built and have any guarantee of long term survival. This facility is a world class shooting complex, and the ATA is darned lucky to have it available to host the Grand. Yes, there isn't a lot to do in the nearby areas now, but that can and likely will change as the years pass. The complex hosts other shooting events during the year, so the Grand isn't the only thing on the agenda. Until then, I'm sure there will be many who elect to stay away for one reason or another. But, there are already many who are coming from far away as well as new shooters from the surrounding areas. You gain some, you lose some...you'll never make everyone happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.