1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THE GRAND - advice sought

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Jul 31, 2013.

1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

All - will be flying in to shoot the Grand ... arriving STL airport Sat (8/10) at 9:30 am. Do I have a chance of making it down to Sparta in time to classify and squad for the weekend singles events ? I would hate to miss out on shooting singles both Sat & Sun. What advice can you offer ... to increase my odds of getting squadded in time. Thanks.

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I think you can make the squadding and classification tables in plenty of time
    if you get your rental car in time and drive to Sparta.

Gary Bryant

3. Soot Them All

Soot Them All Active Member

i hope your arriving on Sat. 8/10 not 9/10, LOL

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I doubt you will make it.

If your plane does land on time, you still have to get off the plane, make it to luggage claim, wait for your bags, rent a car and then navigate St. Louis traffic(shouldn't be bad on a Sat. morning). It's roughly a 65 mile drive from the St. Louis Airport to the WSRC. Then you have to hit Classification, Squadding and finally Cashiering. I say you would be lucky to be leaving the airport by 10:30(I'm guessing more like 11:00)and reach the Events Center at the WSRC by noon. Too many variables that can slow you down.

I hope you can do it but I really doubt it. You will be at a dead run none the less. Just be careful and have a safe trip.

You can still shoot the Caps Event on Saturday.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

NOTE: ..

If you see a sign that says East St. Louis do not exit the freeway ... I have stopped there numerous times for Rib Tips but I carry and the Tribals know it because its out in the open as I wait for my order ... I had a guy as me if I was a bodyguard onetime, ( a person standing there told me thats what he asked ) , I just smiled and walked out and got the hell of of there ... Talk about the other side of the tracks, thats the pits ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I could not find any notice in the program that says when entries close for Saturday's singles. A good guess would be somewhere between 11 a.m. and noon.

As far as advice. If you have a pal that is at the shoot and he has your ATA card he could take care of classification, squad you in the latest squad available, and even pay for you. But you still would be cutting it close.

Not saying it is impossible, but like Matt said there are a lot of variables that could hang you up. Il route 4 is not exactly a road you make good time on as a rule.

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Unless I'm mistaken (and that is always a possibility) you should still be able to shoot the second half of the NRA singles on Sunday.

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

WPT, you've been away from IL too long, you need to get back more often. E Stl is gone. A tornado went through and flatten the place and in the process did millions of dollars in improvements. LOL

I drive through E Stl a couple of times a year. There is nothing left, I think they are down to 1 liquor store and just a couple of strip joints. The bulldozers have been working overtime. I'll look for that rib shack the next time through, do you remember which strip joint it was located near? LOL

9. grntitan

Centerville, Allorton and Washington Park are the new E. St. Louis. Don't stop for anything.

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

When you arrive at the grounds, head straight for the water tower (registration building). Good luck.

Bob Falfa

11. bluskyshooter

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Does anyone know with more confidence ... if I can shoot Sunday singles if I miss entering the NRA Saturday singles ??

12. 548

548 Guest

The program doesn't specifically say you can only shoot the second half. But often times you can under a targets only scenario. But that would just plain be expensive practice. May as well grab four practice tokens and then hit the vendors and take a couple guns on your wish list for a test drive. In my opinion.

13. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I would't take I-64 and Rt 4 to get there. From the airport, go west on I-70 to 270 south. That ends at the Jefferson Barracks bridge and crosses over into IL. Take the first exit on the IL side, Rt 3 south. Keep going south through Columbia, IL, Waterloo, IL, Red Bud, IL and when you get to Baldwin, IL, turn left at the Casey's Store. Follow the blacktop out of town toward the power plant. Just before the power plant turn right on County Rd 18 (there are signs for the WSRC) and you will drive right to the front gate.

14. bluskyshooter

thanks Karla - if you dont mind me asking ... why is rt 64/4 not preferred ?

15. RLC323

RLC323 Member

64 is 4 lane with no problems.

Route 4 is an older highway and carries a lot of traffic. On Saturday morning you will likely get behind weekend farmers out to mow, Mom and kids looking for a garage sale in the mini van, and Grandma going to WalMart for catfood.

With the traffic and the winding nature of 4 you have limited opportunities to pass. During the week in mornings it moves pretty good, everyone trying to get to work. Weekends you won't make good time.

16. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

If you are driving in, I might also suggest filling up fuel before you cross the state line. It would save you close to 10%.
    The drive from Marissa to STL Lambert is right at 1 1/2 hrs taking the ML King bridge on 64. If you arrive on time, I am with Grntitan (Matt), best case 11:30.

Matt also forgot Sauget. A good place to pick up a bullet or a social disease.

regards,

Todd / Illinois

17. grntitan

Route 3 and Route 154 which is the highways you will take via Karla's suggestion will get you just as much 2 lane. Being from the area and 10 years of truck driving in the St.Louis are alone, I much prefer I-64 and Route 4 to County RD. 18 over the 70 to 270 across the JB Bridge to Route 3 and 154. I always seemed to get behind slow traffic with no good places to pass going Karla's way. But that's just my observation and opinion. Either way will get you there in about the same length of time. I believe Karla's suggestion will be nearly the same miles as the I-64/Rte 4 way.

My 3 cents worth

P.S. Todd you are correct. We could also include Brooklyn, IL as well. I use to have to get my Bulk Tank washed out at a food grade tank cleaning business there. Scary place at night which is when I always seemed to be sent there.

18. cle

cle Member

Karla's got the right route. Easy to follow, as little on traffic as you're going to find and safer than the E. StL routes. IL Rt. 4 is a NIGHTMARE if you're hoping to make any time.

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bisi,

God works in mysterious ways, thats a lot of improvements ... lol ... The rib joint was right next to the gas station which I think there was only one of ... They had "bullet proof glass " between the severs and customers ... I was like huh ..? The Ribs were out of this world, used to get the big bucket ... WPT ... (YAC) ...