1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The golden days of shooting.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The golden days of shooting. Some of you will contend that it was some time ago and has been all but forgotten. Then go on about what shooting used to be like and sit back with a smile on your face.

I contend that the golden days of shooting is just starting. The reasons are as follows:

1) We, as shooters, have the best selection of dedicated guns that we've ever had. They can be bought new for $500 and work up until you have to mortgage the house.

2) In the last five years there has been two of the finest shooting facilities that we've ever know built. The World Shooting Complex and The Cardinal Center were both built specifically with the shooter in mind. The have also set the precident by which all other will be judged.

3) The selection and quality of shells available is better than it has ever been. Even the availability of quality reloading componets has gotten better. New manufactures are bringing quality products to market so we have an alternative to the factory stuff.

4) We have websites such as TS.com to discuss things and have a bit of fun with. It's a great place to share info and get introduced to some of the info that has been studied upon.

Sure attendance is down at some of the larger shoots and the cost associated with shooting has been on the rise as of late, but one thing is sure it's never been better than now.

ec90t

2. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

You may be right.........Roger

3. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

It is very important to recognize when you are living in the "good old days"!

4. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Thinking that these are the good old days is a bit scarry, eh?

5. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

these are the "good old days" and if you don't believe it just have a stroke tomorrow and you will remember these as the "good old days" (i am my wife's caregiver}

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I started shooting when every county had at least one gun club in Indiana and Ohio. I bought my first Perazzi for $450 and my first Kreighoff for $325. The P gun was used. Targets were from 5-7 a 100. A 500 shell case was under $40. shot under $7. a bag. I earned $400 a week. Financially, I think those were the good old days. Gas was $024.9 a gallon. Last week, 75. for 250 AA's $30. for 100 birds, 4.79 a gal for diesel. I earned $2000. Divide those prices by 5 see how they compare. 60% of the Gun clubs are now closed.

I saw a guy who won the GAH 20 + years ago with the same 870 and it broke targets as well as any Bowen or K or P gun.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

We are master's of our own destinies, so we all create our own "Good Ole Days".

Now having said that, if one really, really wants to bring back and/or relive the "good ole days"...well, just wait until it's about 90 + degreess with 90% humidity outside....then go turn off your air conditioner!!

Ah...the Good Ole Days...

Curt

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

John,

I too shoot a lot at small 1 and 2 field clubs throughout west central and southern Indiana. I even venture across the river into Illinois to shoot. The clubs I visit are thriving and have a very active shooting group. The ones that went to the wayside forgot why they were there, FOR THE SHOOTERS!

ec90t

9. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

The "good old days" were when I could afford to shoot all I wanted. I never missed a weekend shoot back then. EVERY weekend some place local. PA, OH, WV state shoots, a week at the Grand. Now, no way I could make all those shoots.

An average year was 6000 singles, 5000 caps and somewhere around 3500 doubles. Had NO PROBLEM paying for all that.

"The good old days are now?, You have got to be kidding me.

AJ100

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do hope AJ100 is correct and the very best days are not now, they are to come. Toady is very good and if tomorrow gets even better I don't know how I can get happier than I am today, but I will try.

Pat Ireland

11. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I agree these are the "Good Old Days". At age 67 I am thankful that I can still go to the gunclubs, shoot, and visit with my friends. I think Pat Ireland has the right idea.

Jerry Walker

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm not that old... but as I get older I recognize that every day you can open your eyes and can see the blue sky is a good day! One with a shotgun in your hand is a great day!

Jay

13. Landshark

Landshark Member

Being on death's doorstep twice makes every day a good ole day. Everything I do is expensive now, but I make concessions elsewhere so I can do the things I love while I still can.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Good old days: I read where San Diego had 34 shooters in their Winter Chain Handicap championship this year. In the 1980's there would be 30+ squads. Good old days---today, I don't think so. At least, as not far as trapshooting is concerned.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Good Old Days are relative... age 68 life expectancy, analogue B/W tube TVs, Zenith Space Command remotes, Remington 4100 trap machines and Winchester handsets - what was so great, the cheap price?! (we made less dough)

Jay

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concearned these are indeed the golden days of shooting. The prices may be higher than say 20 years ago but I have a lot more disposable income than ever before. Admittedly this is just my perspective as a middle age guy and other people are in different phases of their life. Good points about making the most out of the opportunities that you have today.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

These are the "Good Old Days" to some and are more like hard times to a lot of others with the economy so uncertain and prices going higher every day it seems ... The area I live in is age restricted has a lot of retired people who cannot even afford the medicines that they cannot afford not to take because their life depends on it ... We are not missing any meals but are sure making more intelegent choices on the way we spend money for the most part ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

shot410ga, you got it brother. Some of these guys must not have read the first sentence in the first post. The golden days of SHOOTING.

ec90t, OK I'll bite. To address your points showing that THESE are the golden days of shooting.

1)The guns do not matter. Back in 1977 I could afford a Perazzi. Owned a few different ones as a matter of fact. NOW, I don't think so. Really don't need that anyway. Like the man said, an 870 in the right hands can break a LOT of targets.

2) If you build them, they will come? Not if they can't afford the target prices, gas, ammo, and all the cost of going away for a week. Hell, even 4 Sundays a month can hurt you.

3) New ammo is $7.48 a box. Lead is $35.00 a bag. Twice what it was just a couple of years ago. My paycheck has NOT doubled in two years.

4) I'll let the moderator decide what we can discuss.

Never been better? Maybe for you. More power to ya.

AJ100

19. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

The good old days to me were three hole targets and adjusting to hand pulling, shooting 25 birds to a trap. The Golden West Grand at the old Sparks Club which then was stocked with Crap tables, games of Twenty One and lots of One Armed Bandits. 27 yard shooters were people who could really shoot. Post-2

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

I suppose all we can really do is discuss our personal "Golden Days" of shooting. I just got back from the VA State Shoot. That was the fourth state shoot for me this year. This time next week, I will be at the Southern Zone shoot, then the Grand comes soon after. After the Grand, I will have several local shoots until I travel up to Middletown for a week of shooting. After Middletown, more local shoots until it gets cold. During the Winter, I have to travel to Florida twice for the Dixie Grand and the Southern Grand. These are now my Golden Days of shooting.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

golden of shooting