1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Geographic Divide

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pocatello, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

We've discussed here before the differences in ATA shooting in different sections of the country, particularly in handicap. I discussed the percentages of 27 yard shooters in different States in the recent "How long to make the 27?" thread. I was just struck by this again a few minutes ago as I pre-squadded for the Utah State Shoot on Presquad.com. The Utah Championship Handicap has a fair number of shooters already in, 161 on 35 squads as of this afternoon. Of those 161 shooters, 90 are at 27 yards - 56%. Of those 35 squads, 8 consist of only 27-yarders. A couple of weeks after the Utah State Shoot, New York holds its State Shoot, also on listed Presquad.com. Right now there are 50 shooters on 16 squads in the final handicap, with 18 at 27 yards - 36%, and only one full squad at 27.

In the data I listed in the earlier thread, 15.6% of New York Shooters were at 27 yards last year, versus 38.1% of Utah shooters.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Figure out how many carry a 90% + avg and get back to us....

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Larry I find the numbers you are putting up extremely interesting. I hope you will continue to post it. Thank you

Bob Lawless

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Pocatello, I think that the divide is vertical, not East/West. How many of the pre-squadded 27-yarders attend the Utah state shoot in search of a Grand Slam? How many go to New York to get it?

Neil

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

weather/ legnth of season?

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Neil,

The divide, assuming we use the Mississippi river for example, is vertical/North and South but it does divide the country East and West. I for one have a slight problem with the numbers quoted in that the number of entrys compared are not equal.

After all, 40-27yd shooters out of 50 entrys would give an 80% 27yd rating while 100 27yd shooters out of 200 entrys would yield a 50% 27 yd rating.

Eric

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Neil,

I agree that altitude is a good part of the story, but background is also a huge part. I used Google Earth to find altitudes at various trap clubs in my region. These are the readings at the trap fields, within a foot or so:

Vernal UT 5735'

Butte MT 5597'

Dillon MT 5266'

Spanish Fork UT 5135'

Pocatello ID 4446'

Ogden UT 4226'

Brigham City UT 4222'

I've shot at all of these clubs except Vernal. I've heard that Vernal has a tough background, particularly late in the day and towards one end of the line, but as I have not shot there, I can not say that from personal experience. I have never shot anyplace with a better background than Spanish Fork. Of the rest, I'd say that Ogden and Butte are the toughest, Pocatello the best, with Brigham City and Dillon about the same - better than Ogden, not as good as Pocatello. When it comes to the number of hundred straights from 27 Spanish Fork probably has more than the other clubs combined. Vernal attracts the very top shooters because of the big money involved so some big scores can be broken there. Pocatello has had more than a few 100s from 27, but not nearly as many as Spanish Fork. I'm sure they're a lot more rare at the other clubs.

It's not all altitude.

8. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I think it is the background coupled with dry air. Visibility, I believe is better in very dry air. At Spanish Fork you have both, a blue sky background and very dry air. Hard to beat. Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.