1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The fun is gone

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bogart50, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bogart50

bogart50 TS Member

I don't know if it is just me or if things are changing in the wrong direction when it comes to going out for a weekend of fun shooting at your local gun club. I have been a member of a club for over 20 years and a life member. But in the last 2 or 3 years it seems to me that to many people are under the impression that everything that we have done to make shooting fun and enjoyable for the whole family needs more rules and regulations. Those of you who have come out to Anza over the years know what I am talking about. I have not been their much in the last 2 years due to heart problems, but under normal conditions there was nothing that could keep me away. I needed to express my feelings because I love that club and the great friends I have met their. WES

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

There is always someone that will push the rules to suit themselves ... the result is more rules and regulations for the law abiding. Gun Clubs are no different than any other community. You are lucky that you had 20 good years. Bill Malcolm

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

"Arizona may allow guns in bars. Should firearms be allowed around alcohol?"

The rules are changing everywhere. It's what Obama promised.

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

As far as general club rules go , if they were instituded by the governing body and approved by the membership then by all means they should be followed . Without rules , clubs will start to fall apart and the lazy members will have the last laugh . Then they will complain that their club is no longer in existance because of the rules not being followed .

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Have no idea of what club you site but rules do you speak of?

No smoking in the clubhouse, no drinking, wearing of shooting glasses mandatory, paying before you shoot...

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Wes, I completely understand where you are coming from. Sadly, liability and ADA issues are making it necessary for clubs to safegard themselves. Sometimes we have to swallow a bitter pill, but don't let it discourage you. The old saying, an ounce of protection is worth more than a pound of the cure applys when it comes to gun clubs.

Robert

7. Straight99

Straight99 Member

In the past 10 years we have gone from 4 rules to 18 rules because of the way people act. People would shoot at live birds. Do not shoot at live birds. People would load up the magazine on autos and blast away. Only 1 round for trap and 2 for doubles. People would make up games and shoot from other than the yard lines. Shoot only from yard lines. I can go on and on. With libelity the way it is today we had to have these the rules. Now I am the most unpopular person at the range because I had to make these rules. A number of people have quit comming but we can not afford to lose the range. Please understand where these rules came from.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"In the past 10 years we have gone from 4 rules to 18 rules because of the way people act. People would shoot at live birds. Do not shoot at live birds. People would load up the magazine on autos and blast away. Only 1 round for trap and 2 for doubles. People would make up games and shoot from other than the yard lines. Shoot only from yard lines. I can go on and on."</i>

We've had those rules at my club. I thought they were pretty universal.

Plus we have a definite shot size limit, no larger than 7.5, because of the proximity of some homes to the ends of the field, and apartments downrange.

And of course open or out, and other safety rules.

I wish Wes had shared with us some of the rules that his club enacted.

9. maka

maka Member

Just yesterday an elderly genteman ask me what day can I bring my grand kids to shoot? I informed him are club is only open on Thursday eve's starting about 6PM. He stated, "years ago I could hear them shooting on weekend's". He said his grand kid's come on weekends and Sunday after noon would work. I told him our club use to be open on Sundays but no longer. He was not impressed. In my opinion, nowdays everyone seems so self centered. As long as I can shoot, to hell with everyone else. This might seem callus but, think? Why are numbers declining? The local culbs are stil the heart of our sport!!

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Maka -

Not too many clubs I have ever heard of that are not open on at least one weekend day. Can't blame the old guy for not being very impressed with your club either.

JEff

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If the club isn't open on weekends, do they not host ATA shoots?

12. maka

maka Member

First of all our club did offer ATA shoots. We also offered Skeet League shoots. I myself enjoyed shooting on sunday's. In addition, I never once failed to help. Whatever the event!!!!

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Some volunteer clubs are finding it harder and harder to find someone to open on either a Saturday or Sunday.

14. maka

maka Member

Joe: You knailed it!!!

15. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Our club made so many rules in less than a year they did not even remember them all. Probably a dozen or so. A board member ask me to make a list for them. Yeah, right.....you really think I am going to do that? All were to prohibit shooting. None were to facilitate shooting.

Maybe I will post some at a later date????? Probably not. Let sleeping dogs lie. Ray

16. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Observation tells me the folks coming out to the clubs for the first time or those that are new to the clay target sports don't have the advantage (most of the time) of parents, fathers in particular, who taught (beat) gun safety into their heads when they were kids. I'm in my late 50's and my dad and uncle were relentless proponents of gun safety and woe be to the person (me) who made a mistake! It was good training and it stuck!

We need the rules to help the folks who simply don't know any better. We take gun safety for granted as we have been involved with it for so long ... Rules for rules sake are silly...safety is no laughing matter at any gun club.

Bob Schultz

17. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Roger C - - I'm not sure what you are asking. My personal view is that I only associate with people who understand that trapshooting is a sport, not a route to political correctness. I've shot under conditions that today's PC crowd would probably not condone but nobody was ever injured and we had lots of fun.

Too bad that the PCr's have to encroach on everybody and everything. Maybe after the next election we can put the brakes on the lawyers who have promoted most of this to provide their fees!

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

As a lifelong resident of So. California with its proximity to big open desert areas, I am surprised that some "shoots" are not merely held in the desert on BLM land where the rules and target presentations can be made up by a group forming a traveling "club" facing other "clubs" that could form a district to share the labor and costs of putting on shoots out in the boonies...then one could be left alone miles from any other civilization. Today's technology with good RV's, (strong diesel trucks and toy haulers depending upon road conditions to better roads and plain old camper vans etc.) reliable cell phones, radios, and quiet generators and portable traps could make this all possible and a lot of fun.

I guess I'm naive, but can you say "offroad motorcycle race like a hare and hound"...limed from hwy. 395 and Podunk Blvd. to a place where there is still freedom, clean air, campfires, and friendship. Instead of a pit and camping area, there would be a camping area and a makeshift traprange or two or three.

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Chango2..... We used to do just that up until about 5-6 years ago. A local club in Hayfork, CA used to have an annual shoot that was known as "The Mountain Shoot". It was held on BLM land up on South Fork mountain, about 50 miles from anywhere. We hauled up 2 traps, generators, a traveling kitchen, etc. and shot for 2 days straight. We even hauled up lights so we could shoot at night. Shooting would start on Saturday morning at daybreak and go, non-stop, until Sunday night at dark. Meat shoots, Buddy shoots, Annie Oakleys, you name it, we shot it. At the hey-day of this shoot, it was not uncommon to have well over 150-200 shooters there to play. They came from as far away as Southern Calif. and Southern Oregon. This shoot went on for many, many years (20 plus, I'm sure). No one ever was injured or hurt in any way, other than the occasional hangover everyone suffered. Yes, there was all kinds of alcohol available, all brought by the shooters attending. We were very careful, however, to refrain from imbibing until the shooter was done shooting. We ALWAYS left the area cleaner than when we got there...... Bingo!! Enter the environmentalists. Potential lead contamination of public property was their ammunition in getting this shoot forever cancelled..... The good old days we once enjoyed during this type of shoot have come and gone. Times change, and we must adapt to those changes or relinquish whatever enjoyment we have left... Not always a good thing, but, always changing, regardless of what we would like.... Just my observation... Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

It is all the lawyers fault!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.