1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The First Thing I Remember

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

From time to time I write a note to my daughters and grandkids. I did so tonight and thought I might share with you. Here is the short version and it is true:
    The first thing I remember was sitting on the floor in front of my dad while he cleaned his gun. He had a cloth patch tied to a piece of fly line and an egg sinker to the other. He would put 3-in-1 oil on the on the patch and drop the sinker through the barrels of his double barrel. It was my job to pull it through. I can still remember the squeeking sound the cloth made and the feel of the resistance of the patch in the barrels and of course the smell of the 3-in-1 oil. I could not have been more than four years old. I am sixty and dad is gone, I have enough cleaning supplies to care for a small arsnel but this gun I always clean with a patch on a string with the same oil. I spend alot of time in my reloading room sourrended by my pricelass, worthless treasures and sometimes far over in the night I will pull this gun down, hold it like dad did and remember what it was like for a little boy with a dad who loved him more than anything. I try to measure myself against his example in the way I have raised you and I always come up short. We spent our lives together hunting and fishing until his far too early death. He always gave me what mattered most ---TIME.
    He was the best and life was pretty good on that hilside in Alabama.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

One of the first things I remember was shooting my M-42 Winchester with 3" paper shells. It kicked! But I was VERY young. Also, the first time I shot my M-94 Winchester. That 30/30 kicked like a mule, but again, I was very young. Eventually, I may be in a Nursing home and not know my own name, but I will ALWAYS remember those yellow boxes and the SilverTip bullets. I memorized every word on the back of the box. Velocity, energy, all the good stuff.

Those were magic moments. I guess I am into my second, or third childhood. It is STILL magic to pick up a shotgun and break targets or to check the zero of a rifle or handgun before going to harvest a deer. Yum, Yum!

3. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I remember working in the chicken house with my Dad for 25 cents a day when I was around 12 or 13. We had a Model 66 Ithaca 12 ga. single barrel that we used from hunting squirrels to turkey shoots.
    I will always remember when I had earned $4.00 Dad would take to the sporting goods store & I would buy Winchester Dove & Quail loads in the yellow & white box with the birds on them. In August they would go on sale for 99 cents a box & my Dad's friends who worked for the Forest Service would take me to a Southern Style Dove shoot.
    Seeing the cut fields,smelling the Bar-B-Que,hearing the laughing,joke telling around the picnic tables,watching doves flying over the field & smelling those paper hulls from the Winchester's are as vivid today as it was 40 yrs. ago.
    Man, it was great growing up in the late 60's & early 70's.

i_shoot

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I envey your memories of hunting and the outdoors with your parents. My dad wa not and outdoorsman nor was anyone in the family. Isatrted hunting and shooting and fishing in my early twenties. Cherish your memories and thanks for sharing them

5. mclane

mclane TS Member

What a great post !! I am a shooter/collector/gunsmith for 30 yrs.. One of my favorite pictures is of me at my bench and my son (then about 6yr.) on the floor beside me cleaning his toy gun. I am so thankful to be a 4th. gen. hunter/shooter. Randy

6. otnot

otnot Active Member

The firts thing I remember about my dad was catching a cutthroat trout from a beaver pond in Idaho when I was about 5 and how proud he was. He used to pick me up after school and take me hunting in the evenings for deer and pheasants. The first summer in Alaska we spent every day fishing and walking the beach looking for agates. I had a great dad who taught me the value of life and to always work hard and that you stand behind your word no matter what. Sure do miss him. I'm trying to instill in my son all the good things my father taught me, and I'm finding just how big his shoes are to fill.

7. KenC

KenC Member

First memory is as a 5 yo w/the measles. Dad brought home this toy dbl bbl shotgun that shot corks. From that day since I've been a 'gun slut'.

8. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Glad I posted this. I knew I had one of many good dad's. Very happy to hear your memories. Good or better than mine!
    Now if we can all just pass the knowledge and love along.

9. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Jim Porter, that could well be the best post that I have read on here for some time now. Thanks for posting it up.

I have a lot of memories from my dad who has been gone for almost 30 years now. Learning to shoot everything that he had over the years, the first 25 straight at a little one trap club under the lights late one night that FINALLY let me be able so shoot registered targets. To the 11 straight Grands we traveled to in Ohio each year. All the different state shoots we went to over the years and to all the lifelong friends that I have made during those early years. I think that what we have done in the past makes us who we are today and how we teach others to be. Not always right and not always wrong.

Hopefully it will be more good than bad.

Thanks again, John

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My parents did not allow firearms in the house. Even though we lived in a rural setting, no guns were allowed or mentioned.

My mother is a WW II concentration camp survivor. In addition, she and her family were caught in the middle of a firefight between different factions of communists on their farm in Poland. She is a strong person but does not like firearms.

My first introduction to firearms was shooting a .22 in boy scouts. I was hooked and my father overruled my mother’s concerns. My other three brothers had little interest in firearms.

My dad was not a hunter and he had limited physical ability. I cherish the many fishing trips we took together.

He never made much money but every Christmas was a good Christmas for his four sons.

I cherish the many simple things we did together.

Later in life, he became a Cub Scout Pack Leader and kept it up for several years after his youngest son was no longer involved in scouts. He was very well respected by many families in our church.

Ed Ward

11. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Fred don't give up on your son.... My story is a little different I'm the daughter BUT, from the time I was old enough to walk My dad a nd I ran feild beagles. We had 75 dogs and pups at one time. My dad and my grandfather were always hunters, I just couldn't do it. Then they started shooting trap, Well clays don't cry ha ha ha. So it began, since the time of about 12 and throught out my teens I shot with them.... Then other things came into play. But when I was 29 through fateI picked up the trap gun again and never put it down. My grandfather had since passed. My Dad was post 1 and I was post 2,For many years and I'm so glad to say that is the way it still is. We had a tough year last year and I amlost lost my post 1... He was diagnosed with lymphoma. But he never gave up. I don't want to brag but I will(lol) We shoot a 25 bird rotating league called the mountain top. It was at one time 21 matches. He holds the highest ever ave. for the men and I have the highest ave ever for the women. We have won that trophy together all in one year. so you don't have to be a son. I kinda like being daddy's girl!!!

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My first recollection of anything was getting a spinal tap at the children's hospital about two weeks before my third birthday confirming I had polio
    My first hunting experience was with a borrowed .22 single shot and my dad, who hated hunting, took me. He never took me again, but let me go with my friend and his father every time I could worm my way to an invitation. He died 33 years ago, and even though he hated guns, he was an athlete and my daughter made all state in 3 sports, but he died to soon to watch it. He would have beamed at her skills.

13. piranha2

piranha2 TS Member

Jim, after reading your words, I must tell you, IMO, you could not have come up short.

14. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I remember going to a party with my dad ,and returning home with my mom.Does that count???...KS-OKIE.

15. gotbass

gotbass Member

Lived on a ranch outside Livingston Montana. Dad would take me out in the garden and dig some worms then off for the Shields River which ran through our place. On the way trap some grasshoppers under your jacket. Pipe tobacco cans (the flat oval ones with the swing attached lids) to keep the bait in. Dad would fish for trout and fix me up on a little back eddy where I would catch suckers. Brought a whole arm load of them home for Mom. Dad quit ranching at 40 years old and went back to college and became a college prof. Never had time for anything like that after the ranch. I wish we had never moved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.